Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Wii Modchip Incompatibility Warning

Particular model renders chips useless

Update #2: The CycloWiz team have CONFIRMED that their chip is also incompatible with the D2B Panasonic chipset. The also mention that the chances of finding a Wii with the D2B chipset is higher if you purchased your Wii in late January/early February.

New information: the problem has been confirmed by several sources including the Wiinja team themselves, and affects all the 1st-generation modchips (those using the same method as Wiinja). It goes without saying that all the teams are working on it and should soon ship a fixed version to retailers! If you own a "first-gen" Wii, there is however no problem and the modchips will still work properly.

We expect our Wiinja sample to arrive by tomorrow, so stay tuned as we will be posting exclusive pics and videos!

Heads up to all of you that are planning to install one of the three currently announced modchips into your Wii! Users on the official Wiinja forums have discovered that a particular model of the Wii's DVD drive is incompatible with the current modchips. The code/method currently used on the Wiinja and possibly the CycloWiz and WiiKey don't affect the drive and the chips are useless once installed. Regardless of what another news site says, this means even if you install the WiiKey and the possibly upgradeable CycloWiz, you won't be able to boot the necessary disc to update the chip if they do update the code to support this drive model.

Currently the only way known to check what drive model you have, is to open your Wii and check the following chip on the DVD drives PCB. The version shown below - "GC2-D2B" is the incompatible drive model.

If you'd like to share any more information you have on this issue, then please share it in this thread.

Please note: This is simply a small warning. The issue has not been confirmed, but maybe this thread will help gather information on the issue and find out exactly what is causing the problem.

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this sucks, especially since I just ordered my cyclowiz, any word on whether the mentioned chip is due to region, age of console or just random?

zatelli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I've read about that issue earlier, but isn't that supposed to be a rumor? I mean the guy has posted on Wiinja board, read 700 times, not a single comment. Do I happen to have missed something ?
blink.gif

Topic

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
If it is true, its pretty unlucky for people who ordered one and have the wrong dvd drive.

Kinda like having a phillips in your 360

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, is this reported on any other forums, because as far as I can see he only has 3 wires installed lol. If only reported on that post it may just be a mistake on his part and not a widespread thing. I want to find out if anyone else has this chip and is experiencing problems because it may turn out there is no problem at all.

BTW from this thread http://www.wiinja.com/Foros/viewtopic.php?t=11 in spanish

from google translation (oh yeah)

The thread started because someone commented about a rumour it will not work in newer wiis

the second post was stating his chip did nothing and his PIC was 12C509A not 12f609

and the third post is stating his 2 chips or 2 consoles (can't tell) do not work, could be 2 wiinjas on one console or 2 consoles and 1 chip.

There could be 4 scenarios

1) Wiinja will not work on this drive
2) Both have received faulty Wiinjas
3) Both cannot solder correctly
4) They are using cheap media or writing the games incorrectly

We do not yet know if they have the same chip in their consoles as the first to mention the problem gives no mention of his consoles drive/chip

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Actually, is this reported on any other forums, because as far as I can see he only has 3 wires installed lol. If only reported on that post it may just be a mistake on his part and not a widespread thing. I want to find out if anyone else has this chip and is experiencing problems because it may turn out there is no problem at all.

BTW from this thread http://www.wiinja.com/Foros/viewtopic.php?t=11 in spanish

QUOTEYo soy uno de los que tiene ese procesador y no le funciona el wiinja (2 unidades diferentes)
"I am one of the few that have a Wii on which the wiinja doesn't work (2 different wii units)"

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Im sure the companys can make a different chip to bypass this problem if it is true. Maybe he can find someone with a different wii console (one with the compatable chip) and do some box comparasions to find out if theres any indication on the box to find out what chip you have.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually, is this reported on any other forums, because as far as I can see he only has 3 wires installed lol.

Aren't the other points for the Wiinja lower (ie. not visible in that pic)? I have checked other Spanish language forums (Todo, Elotrolado, etc.) and see no further mention of these problems.

MaxConsole has picked up the story, though. Of course, to bash the Wiinja in favor of their CycloWiz chip.
frown.gif

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wasn't planning on installing a Modchip until it was region free.
But this still sucks for the people who have already bought them
frown.gif

Q~

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I never order at the last minute of the news. I will wait for a few months to 6 months at least to see how they are doing before I can order. That's wise things to do rather than complaint at them. I recommend you to be careful and do not order it immediately until you know what you are doing at first.
smile.gif

_zZz_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i just read this on wiija forum

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bueno, confirmo el tema del lector.

Esta noche he probado los chips en una wii de la primera remesa y estos funcionan perfectamente, mientras que en la mia no funcionan

translating:

it means that he tried the modchip in other wii's and it worked. But on his one with this "new" dvd chip it doesn't

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
taken from wiinewz.

"If you look at the picture, the 3.3Volt wire definitely is not connected and those wires are the size of garden hoses. I would consider this a weak rumor, at best. This is information is UNCONFIRMED!!! Could just be a couple of n00bs who don't know how to properly install the chip"

Im probally going with them too. I mean wait a few days when the wiinjas get shipped to more people and we'll be able to tell wether or not this is true.

sixb0nes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I for one am extremely happy at this news, if true. I can just imagine all of you, receiving your modchips only to realize it doesn't work XD
How disappointed you will be
smile.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
taken from wiinewz.

"If you look at the picture, the 3.3Volt wire definitely is not connected and those wires are the size of garden hoses. I would consider this a weak rumor, at best. This is information is UNCONFIRMED!!! Could just be a couple of n00bs who don't know how to properly install the chip"

Im probally going with them too. I mean wait a few days when the wiinjas get shipped to more people and we'll be able to tell wether or not this is true.
If the guy's tried it on other Wii's successfully then I don't think he would have forgotten to connect the 3.3v.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I for one am extremely happy at this news, if true. I can just imagine all of you, receiving your modchips only to realize it doesn't work XD
How disappointed you will be
smile.gif
Whaha hilarious.
wtf.gif

Ow and why exactly do you think that from now on it's not going to work for everyone or something? As far as I know, only one person didn't get it to work, one person! How reliable is it, dang stop this crap until someone confirms, it might be one mismanufractured chip or just an installing mistake, whatever this shit gets way to overreacted...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny