Hacking Hardware SylVii - PIC-based modchip for the Nintendo Wii

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
logo.png

sylvii-pcb.png

The SylVii is a classic 5/6 wire modchip designed for the Wii (older drive revisions in particular). This chip allows the ability to play backup and imported games on the console, booting of homebrew, easy upgradability with the use of an IC clip and an appropriate PIC programmer, support for various firmwares (Wiinja/OpenWii/YAOSM/WiiFree), and to enhance many more features of the console's functionality.

(It is also possible to convert this for use with the PlayStation as well, since it uses the same PIC microcontroller for various modchips.)

Softmodding is another alternative to playing imports and backups on your console if your system is not supported, and is much easier in terms of installation if you don't have the necessary soldering skills.

Features:
  • PIC12F629/683/675 microcontroller.
  • Easy upgradability with the IC clip version, allowing to use a clip to program the chip without clipping onto the PIC, thus damaging the pins accidentally.
  • Support for DMS/D2A/D2B drive chipsets.
  • Region free functionality.
  • DVD-R/DVD+R support.
  • Multi-disc/multi-game compatible.
  • Supports Wii/GC originals/backups/imports.
  • Built-in audio-fix.
  • Support for GameCube homebrew.
  • 5-wire installation (accepting D2B cut pin revisions).
Download

Attachments

• sylvii-v1-instruction-manual.pdf
    301 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by SylverReZ,

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wasabi DX2 on my current wii, but if I do manage to put my pawns on a new wii this will be the next project.
Wasabi DX 2? Only ones I've heard of were Wasabi, Wasabi DX and Wasabi Zero.

If you want to get one manufactured, then JLCPCB or PCBWay are the best places to go. Depending on the firmware you flash, some features might be missing like Error 001 anti-piracy patches or DVD+RW support.

• Love

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Wasabi DX 2? Only ones I've heard of were Wasabi, Wasabi DX and Wasabi Zero.

If you want to get one manufactured, then JLCPCB or PCBWay are the best places to go. Depending on the firmware you flash, some features might be missing like Error 001 anti-piracy patches or DVD+R support.
yeah A "later" revision of DX useful on latest drives, but really only was normal DX with latest firmware from factory.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah A "later" revision of DX useful on latest drives, but really only was normal DX with latest firmware from factory.
Last update fixed NSMB Wii's BCA anti-piracy.

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ha great to see :) still rocking an original Wiikey in my first Wii.
@ploggy Got those things lying around on my workbench. ;) I'm currently working on more mods, heck, even a WiiKey/XenoGC clone that's both cross-compatible and reprogrammable.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza and ploggy

skunk_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess its fine for the wii mini but is it really less of a pain in the ass to mod it using this rather than bluebomb? I mean if you're already gonna mod one by adding wifi and an sd card slot then this is pretty good but otherwise, does it do anything else that softmodding cant?

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess its fine for the wii mini but is it really less of a pain in the ass to mod it using this rather than bluebomb? I mean if you're already gonna mod one by adding wifi and an sd card slot then this is pretty good but otherwise, does it do anything else that softmodding cant?
Modchips are not compatible with the Wii Mini, softmodding is your only solution. Good thing about a modchip is that it allows you to boot GameCube homebrew discs which cannot be done on a Wii.

I've seen one good use out of a chipped Wii drive, apparently it is possible to convert it to work with a GameCube.
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Using_a_Wii_drive_replacement_on_a_GameCube

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza and skunk_

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would really like to do something like this. But I don't have any of the stuff. PIC programmer, PICs and the knowledge (or the concentration to understand everything).

Maybe I would be able to install a pre-build, flashed modchip. Software mod is kinda lame for backup DVD loading (slow drive setting).

SylverReZ

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would really like to do something like this. But I don't have any of the stuff. PIC programmer, PICs and the knowledge (or the concentration to understand everything).

Maybe I would be able to install a pre-build, flashed modchip. Software mod is kinda lame for backup DVD loading (slow drive setting).
A cheaper solution to programming PIC chips would be to snag up a $10 programmer from AliExpress or similar marketplaces. The K150 and the clone PicKits are what you should be going for if you're doing basic programming.

• Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Before @K3Nv2 can move into the garage, he has to atleast come out the closet first.