Shadow-Zero

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
After quite some time I wanted to turn on my Nintendo Wii again, but didn't get any image, just a black screen. After a while I could hear the audio though.

The Wii was hooked up via component through my Yamaha receiver. Connecting it directly to my tv didn't make a difference. I was thinking that maybe it was configured for RGB instead of YPbPr, so I connected it via a RGB cable on an other tv (I didn't have a composite cable at hand), but that didn't help either.

Then I connected it back to the main tv with component and tried the video reset I found via google:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14071721#post14071721
- Power on Wii, give it a few seconds to boot
- Hold DOWN on the directional pad of the Wii remote
- While holding DOWN, press the RESET button on the Wii

Now I had an image again! Though it was very scrambled. I checked the video menu, where it was on 576i. I switched it to 480p and it went black again. Now also my Wiimotes wouldn't sync anymore and rebooting only resulted in a black screen, this time even without the audio coming up!!!

Eventually I came across this instruction:

I could boot to Priiloader and (re) installed the System Menu via Multi Mod Manager. After trying to start the System Menu I got a black screen again, and now I can't even boot Priiloader! All the lights and dvd drive seem to work fine though.

Who's got any other ideas on this???

EDIT:
Sounds kinda like this: http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/77126

Last edited by Shadow-Zero,

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
After quite some time I wanted to turn on my Nintendo Wii again, but didn't get any image, just a black screen. After a while I could hear the audio though.

The Wii was hooked up via component through my Yamaha receiver. Connecting it directly to my tv didn't make a difference. I was thinking that maybe it was configured for RGB instead of YPbPr, so I connected it via a RGB cable on an other tv (I didn't have a composite cable at hand), but that didn't help either.

Then I connected it back to the main tv with component and tried the video reset I found via google:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14071721#post14071721

Now I had an image again! Though it was very scrambled. I checked the video menu, where it was on 576i. I switched it to 480p and it went black again. Now also my Wiimotes wouldn't sync anymore and rebooting only resulted in a black screen, this time even without the audio coming up!!!

Eventually I came across this instruction:

I could boot to Priiloader and (re) installed the System Menu via Multi Mod Manager. After trying to start the System Menu I got a black screen again, and now I can't even boot Priiloader! All the lights and dvd drive seem to work fine though.

Who's got any other ideas on this???

It may be a damaged video chip or the cable shorted out? Check your AV video cable for any wear or tear? I know... I'm lame and don't help much. I'm trying! XD

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
try to use scart cable instead of composit, since the resolution may cause a mismatch with your screen.
if you have preloader you can start syscheck?
this would give you a complete list of failing software.
i doubt it's the graphics card since it seems to just effect your main screen, other apps run fine you say.
be sure to use the right region for your console using dop-mii for all software as long as the network works, if not. use multi mod loader to install the wad's (also you sould check the ioses 0 till 80, mios, bc and system menu. when reset. it should all work fine.
if not it could mean strangely that your network or bluetooth module are gone, for some reason those corrupt booting.

Shadow-Zero

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since my Wiimotes didn't want to sync anymore after the video reset + change resolution in the system settings to 480p, there seems to be more going on. But I've read that's the sign of a bricked Wii (black screen plus wiimotes not syncing anymore), but not sure if it's a software or hardware issue in this case.

I 'could' boot Priiloader, but after re-installing the System Menu as per that Youtube video instruction I can't anymore :(
I found an other video instruction where it's shown to also (re)install Priiloader after the System Menu re(install), not sure if I should have done that as well:

So it does not look good, and I'm saddened I can't even get into Priiloader now anymore :/
Is it really possible to also brick Priiloader, like this???

@Ruby: joined September 2015 and 956 posts? Wow! Nice going! XD (is that the Czech Republic flag?)

@jaap: I'm using the component cable, not the composite! Though in the end I also tried the the composite cable. It has a light scramble when booting, then just black (and no menu music, and no Priiloader anymore :( ). And as you say, since Priiloader worked fine, gpu or video output/connector/cable doesn't seem to be the root cause.

It seems like a brick, though no clue what triggered it. Or truly some hardware failure somewhere. Could try to open it up, but sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Anything I could try to get Priiloader back, for starters?

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Since my Wiimotes didn't want to sync anymore after the video reset + change resolution in the system settings to 480p, there seems to be more going on. But I've read that's the sign of a bricked Wii (black screen plus wiimotes not syncing anymore), but not sure if it's a software or hardware issue in this case.

I 'could' boot Priiloader, but after re-installing the System Menu as per that Youtube video instruction I can't anymore :(
I found an other video instruction where it's shown to also (re)install Priiloader after the System Menu re(install), not sure if I should have done that as well:

So it does not look good, and I'm saddened I can't even get into Priiloader now anymore :/
Is it really possible to also brick Priiloader, like this???

@Ruby: joined September 2015 and 956 posts? Wow! Nice going! XD (is that the Czech Republic flag?)

@jaap: I'm using the component cable, not the composite! Though in the end I also tried the the composite cable. It has a light scramble when booting, then just black (and no menu music, and no Priiloader anymore :( ). And as you say, since Priiloader worked fine, gpu or video output/connector/cable doesn't seem to be the root cause.

It seems like a brick, though no clue what triggered it. Or truly some hardware failure somewhere. Could try to open it up, but sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Anything I could try to get Priiloader back, for starters?

No, it's the Philippines. I'm on GBAtemp Daily. That's why I have so many posts.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh yeah, missed the sun (hard to see on my LCD). My apologies! : )
Don't worry about it. It's okay. I kinda don't like it here anyways. Well, it seems you have someone else more knowledgeable in this subject helping you right now. I don't know very much about these connectors with the component vs. AV inputs. I just took a shot into the dark with that! XD

Shadow-Zero

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're hearing audio from the console and got a system menu on the screen after you reset the video mode (I've never heard of this option) then your console is not bricked and it's probably not the Bluetooth module. I wouldn't try to restore your NAND or run anything to recover it. You could end up making it even worse.

You said you couldn't find the composite cables, but try plugging the green cable from your component one into the composite in on your TV. You should end up with just a black and white screen.

It's also possible your Wii's backup battery may have died. If you look on the bottom of the console along the edge there's what looks like a small door with a screw holding it closed. It's a standard CR2032 battery like the ones used on PCs for CMOS settings. Just removing it for a minute and replacing it might also help.

Shadow-Zero

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to clarify, currently I'm not seeing anything. No image with component, no image with composite, no wiimote sync, no priiloader menu, no audio, nada. So Im pretty helpless at the moment.

What would the effect be of a dead battery?

nerubii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
you mentioned you reinstalled system menu, hv you tried savemiifrii method? gamecube controller plugged into port 4 and holding down all 4 dpad while pressing power on wii? you have to disassemble the controller to achieve that.

your priiloader won't boot anymore because reinstallation of system menu has overwritten it.

Last edited by nerubii,

Shadow-Zero

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, thanks for the explanation why I lost Priiloader. I guess that Youtube instruction was incomplete -_-
I've tried to get into the Recovery Mode, but didn't succeed so far. I read it's also possible when quickly pressing all the d-pad directions?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, this Wii also has a WiiKey modchip.

EDIT:
I also read that needing to hold the off switch longer for it to actually switch off (which is the case as well) is also a symptom of a failing bluetooth module.

EDIT 2:
Another bluetooth reference: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-not-respond-just-black-screen-can-i-fix-it.136632/

EDIT 3:
Nice SaveMiiFrii instruction video:

Shadow-Zero

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to add, I connected a second Wii to the same video cables, psu and tv and that worked fine.

Reading this guide, https://gbatemp.net/threads/step-by-step-guide-for-bootmii-nand-wii-backup-restore.176877/, I figure I'll check my SD card and see if I can restore bootmii (it's a launch Wii).

EDIT:
Ah, but that might not work after I reinstalled the System Menu, just like Priiloader (assuming that was the reason, or it might be a hardware defect after all)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: