Step by step guide for Bootmii nand wii backup restore

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tommitek, Aug 30, 2009.

1. tommitek
    OP

Newcomer tommitek Advanced Member

Japan
    I decided to post this thread, because i had come across this problem myself personally today, and i spent the better part of today searching this site and other sites, to piece together information about how to do this, why it didnt seem to work, and to figure out what infantile steps i wasn't taking, that other partial guides left off having deemed it trivial information, but the uninformed such as myself have no idea about, and tear our hair out over. So to try and prevent any other noob like myself from experiencing the stress and panic i felt today, i will keep the steps very small, use the simplest language i know, and try not to to leave the smallest detail out. by the by, i started with a japanese wii 3.3J, soft modded (ie. no mod chip) with homebrew installed already, before i tried to update my firmware, resulting in a semi brick

So here is it. My step by tiny little step guide on how to use the Bootmii nand backup you made (after using the hackmii 0.3 installer to install bootmii and create your nand back up... there are many guides on how to do this here, but just incase, and you want all the info at your finger tips, i will provide a couple of links to threads created by some clever chaps on this site

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

or

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

the info is there, and is easy to understand. youll find it in sections where they talk about backing up the nand

anyway, so back to the the restore. so for some reason your stuff has all gone bonkers for some reason, and not you cannot access the wii system menu (the menu with the channels on it, the one that is on your wii right from the get go). thank goodness you have bootmii enabled. put the bootmii folder that was created when you installed bootmii back onto the root of the sd card (if you took it off your sd card like many guides tell you) or rename it again the way it was orignally (if you renamed it, like many guides suggest). doing this, when you turn on your semibricked wii with the sd card in the slot, it will load into bootmii (again, see the previously mentioned 2 guides on clear explanations on how to install bootmii, what to do with the files, etc etc)

now. you need to find your nand.bin and keys.bin files. these are the files that were created when you made you nand backup using bootmii. and if you followed the directions of the afformentioned 2 guides well, you would have put these files in a safe place.

this is however where you will hit a bit of a snag. you can just put these two files back onto the root of the sd card, load bootmii, and then copy the backup off the sd card back onto the wii.

you first need to fix the files (i know, i know... why are they broken?.. it beats the crap out of me, some bug or something. eitherway, it doesnt matter, because its fixable thanks to BlackAce83 and redia (some dudes on here, who know stuff we dont)

first you need to download this file

http://rapidshare.com/files/269802615/Bootmii-KEYFIX.rar

open this rar file, and extract the contents onto your desktop or wherever. i personally created a new empty folder called nandfix on my desktop and extracted it to there. so now in wherever you extracted it to (for the explanations' clarity's sake lets just say you also made a new folder called nandfix on your desktop), so now in this nandfix folder you have an .exe file called

Bootmii-KEYFIX.exe

now find those nand.bin and keys.bin files i told you to find before (you put them in a safe place remember). now what you need to do is to COPY both of these. this is important just in case god forbid, things go haywire (its highly unlikely though, but hey, better to be safe then sorry) and it doesnt work, and your original nand backup files are rendered useless.

so like i said, copy the nand.bin and keys.bin files and the paste them into your recently created "nandfix" folder.

so now inside this nandfix folder you have 3 files

Bootmii-KEYFIX.exe
    nand.bin
    keys.bin

go to the Bootmii-KEYFIX.exe file and run it (double click) it will do a little bit of thingy for you, and then you will have 2 new files appear. one called log.txt and one called Keys-Fixed.bin.

so now your nandfix folder has this inside it

Bootmii-KEYFIX.exe
    nand.bin
    keys.bin
    log.txt
    Keys-Fixed.bin

What you need to do now, is copy or cut (its up to you) the nand.bin and Keys-Fixed.bin files and paste them in the root of your sd card.
    Once you have done this you have to rename the Keys-Fixed.bin file to keys.bin

now, put the sd card into you sd card slot on the wii. turn it on. once you load the bootmii menu, press the power button 3 times till you highlight the little gears icon, press reset to choose it. it opens up the next menu, where you will press the power button once, so that you are highlighting the icon that has the arrow coming off the sd card into the chip (this is the option to load the backup off the sd card onto you wii, the second option/icon). press the reset button to choose this icon.

follow the on screen instructions, and robert's your father's brother.

hope this helps. i know i could have used a guide like this earlier today. anyway, good luck out there

ciao

Margen67 likes this.
  2. uspolo

Newcomer uspolo Member

United States
    what if you did not back up the key.bin. I have the bootmii folder and nand.bin is there anything I can do in the future if i need to restore my wii to default settings.

3. uspolo

Newcomer uspolo Member

United States
    The reason I want to restore my wii is because the shop channel goes into a black screen and then locks up my wii.

4. Hyaku Shiki

Newcomer Hyaku Shiki Member

Canada
    I also only have the nand.bin file. I think it's because we did not upgrade to the other 2 versions of bootmii that have come out. I think it's just the new beta3 that has the problem described by OP.

Also to update BootMii do I just install the beta3 from scratch or is there a way to update?

5. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well there is no need for any tool you can just use
    copy /B nand.bin + key.bin newnand.bin and done

You only need to run the new installer and it will update to the actuall version

6. uspolo

Newcomer uspolo Member

United States
    I still cant use boot mii with all the information given. I just bricked my wii a black screen comes up saying system menu is corrupterd so i go into preloader ---> homebrew---> bootmii and i still cant restore. It tells me press a+b+x+y

7. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, you are amazing. I tried a few tutorials on my own and nothing worked.
    Each time I got "system files corrupted" and this plus my original NAND backup worked.

Now to removed all homebrew, etc from the console.

Did I mention thank you.

Now I can get some sleep.

8. Zworba

Newcomer Zworba Member

Belgium
    thank you m8, for the second time [​IMG]

9. rmjoker69

Newcomer rmjoker69 Newbie

United Kingdom
    So will this reset my ios' as I cannot load backups with any usb loaders? I have tried installing many cios' lots of times but not getting anywhere.
    what exactly does the nand backup restore please?

Edit:
    Forgot to mention that this was working fine until a backup crashed (golden eye) never worked since!!

10. liftedplane

Newcomer liftedplane Member

United States
    wonderful worked perfectly, I can finally access the settings menu again and start over from scratch :P now to get all my files together

11. kaspad

Newcomer kaspad Newbie

Finland
    Hi.

-Wii 4.3E (softmoded), bought 11/2009
    - I messed with ALL ios's including two digit ios's are deleted
    - After deleting ios's Wii bricked.
    - Wii starts with wiimote and power button, blue light flashes once and then completely black screen. DVD drive is spinning when inserting disk, but can't read anything. Wii can't communicate with SD-card and bootmii is unavailable.
    - I have backed up original NAND.bin.
    - Another Wii with original SW is available (not moded), if it could help something.

So, the question is: How to restore working NAND to my Wii?

12. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    With such a severe fuck-up, I think your only option is reflashing the NAND with an infectus, which is both very complicated and quite expensive.
    You could send it to DeadlyFoez on this forum and have him fix it for you for 40usd + shipping (or something like that), but he lives in the US.

13. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...yes. That's like a mother calling to the docter that her son is sick. Rather than knowing which organ causes the illness (if it was any to begin with), she simply removed all of them. And now the son is looking showing even less healthy, she's calling the doctor in the hope he can help.

In other words: IOS'es are...pretty crucial for your wii's well being.

No. Just having a working backup by itself isn't going to help. It might, if you knew what you were doing. But as it is, I'd just suggest to ask Deadlyfoez if he can get it back to where it was (yes, this'll require shipping).

Oh, and did you REALLY have to dig up a 2 year old thread for this?

EDIT: lol...seems like I'm not the only one suggesting DeadlyFoez's skills here. :P

14. So Solid Jedi

Newcomer So Solid Jedi Member

United Kingdom
    Wouldn't even a SaveMii Dongle get his Wii working again? Or only hope is Infectus?

15. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'm not sure why you're quoting me on this, as I know barely anything about hardmodding. My guess would be 'no', but the truth is that even if it could help in this situation, I wouldn't suggest it. Wii hacking isn't for just anyone, in the same way that nuclear technology isn't for 12-year olds.

16. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Sounds like your only hope is reflashing with an infectus or other flash programmer. I could do it, but it'll cost you quite a bit to ship to the US.

17. redbullet

Newcomer redbullet Newbie

Sweden
    hello.

nice guide, i have done all it says.

but i still got all black screen..can even get to the bootmii channel...only tje powerbottom on wii is on..me wii remote is still off.

Please help =)

hello?..help pls