Hacking Why not improve the Original Xbox Emulator?

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Before you scrap this thread, I'd like to inform you that I am well aware of how hard these things are. If it would be easy someone would already have done it, but hear me out:

As you all know all Xbox models except arcade editions (as far as I know) backwards compatible with a list of original xbox titles. A few years ago the emulator was studied and exploited (in a good way) by some people in the scene (whose names that I do not know, but I'd like to thank them for their efforts). The emulator can now be used to play games from backup and it can actually play (or at least try to run) games that are not in the official compatibility list.

Moreover, the compatibility list is not an actual compatibility list. I haven't tried many of the titles but some games suffer from framerate drops, bugs, glitches etc. According to wikipedia almost every game in the list has some minor/major problems.

We now that emulator updates stopped a while ago, and we can also say that the emulator is not at it's peak, as some of the later updates caused problems that were not appearent in the earlier versions.

What I am trying to say is, we have a software emulator in our hands, developed halfway and still could use improvement. If it is improved we could play more titles that were not available before or get better results with the ones that are currently available.

Let's take nintendont for example. It is something entirely different, as it uses hardware to play ngc games on wii and wiiu, not exactly an emulator. However with open source code everyday we get new updates and improvements. Each day more titles are playable.

Can't we do something similar with the Original Xbox emulator in Xbox 360? It would be a shame to let it die, as it has much potential. Is it not worth saving?

I'd like to know if it is possible to improve it in any way, and if it is why is not anyone interested?

Thank you for reading, I'd be glad if you could share your opinions.

PS: Pardon my lack of technical knowledge, again I know that these things are not easy and take quite some time, but I really would like to know the future of this emulator.

Reactions: Margen67

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Every 360 is backwards compatible, even the "arcade" ones, it just needs a harddisk.
Nope, 360 BC is software only, Xbox is x86 and 360 is PCC, so you need to translate the machine code first, requires more power to do so.

Improvement over the hacked emu, it's pretty much as good as it gets.
It's emulation, it'll never be perfect (exception made for BSNES)

If you want to achieve perfect compatibility, then you'll have to wait 20 years or get a cheap old Xbox.
The latter would be quicker, easier and less costly ;]

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am going with then, as now, the original xbox is near trivial to mod (including in software) to play every game that did not require a joystick (or was only online without a system link option), cheap and available in quantity, outputs component via readily available component cables..... the main downsides would be a lack of HDMI or easy VGA, the inability to use the lovely 360 controllers (though the controller s was no slouch) and the lack of inbuilt wireless (not such a problem in these days of ethernet over powerline).

Upgrading the emulator's capabilities, rather than removing the locks put in place to prevent non certified games from running, would be a combination of two of the hardest areas of coding (reverse engineering and emulator writing), for a limited audience (JTAG/RGH modded 360s only) all while the previous paragraph is in effect.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Exist a hacked bc emu... but add only some games
I have ask lot of time for use it without internal hd.. but is impossible redirect bcemu only on ext usb

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Most games you can get on other consoles although the Original Xbox multiplatforms were better on it than PS2/NGC and the exclusives were really good too, heck, the visuals, gameplay and all still holds up pretty well.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Exist a hacked bc emu... but add only some games
I have ask lot of time for use it without internal hd.. but is impossible redirect bcemu only on ext usb

Original Xbox games need to have the harddrive present.
There's no way you can redirect it to a USB drive as the games are hardcoded to make use of it.

I think I explained this before to you.

Most games you can get on other consoles although the Original Xbox multiplatforms were better on it than PS2/NGC and the exclusives were really good too, heck, the visuals, gameplay and all still holds up pretty well.

Black on Xbox vs Black on PS2.
Obvious that the Xbox one is the superior one.
Fxck it even looks better then many launch 360 titles imho

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Its a nice request. I'm still think the multiplat games are, in majority, better on XBOX than dreamcast, ps2 and gamecube, with very few exceptions. It have greater 480p games; 16:9 screen support, and have even 720p support (wow)...Some games that is not on the official compatibility list works, but freezes in some point of the game (mortal shaolin monks) or have so much glitches (castlevania COD)...

It would be nice if were created a list with the hacked emu (with the versions used) compatibility list, and if in each game exist a difference between the hacked and the official xbox emulator...I'm not expert to do a list of the entire library of the xbox games, but i have a lot of games(isos) to test on my rgh, and i could help...pretty sure some fellas here would help too.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Emulating the Xbox is touchy because it's not really attempted very often - most people are just trying to get the executables to work in Windows (with some virtualization here and there). Unfortunately, the scarcity of documentation, especially about the custom GPU, is a big problem. A lot of the games available on the Xbox can be played on other platforms, including PC, so the drive towards Xbox emulation is lukewarm at best. A shame, because it's really an excellent machine.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching...