Gaming Why is Rockstar so CHEAP? [LA Noire RANT]

Will you buy LA Noire on Nintendo Switch?

• Yes, I'll buy the Nintendo Switch version.

• No, but I'll buy another version (PS4/X1)

• No, not interested or I have already played the game before.

Results are only viewable after voting.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay.

If you have a console with no games (of a certain style) then people have been repeatedly seen to pay up for them, possibly as some kind of embodiment of the sunk cost fallacy (I have already paid all this money, better get some use from it).

Solution. Wait for something that represents a better value proposition. If you can find a way to make the original company aware of this then so much the better.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solution. Wait for something that represents a better value proposition. If you can find a way to make the original company aware of this then so much the better.
Unfortunately the more discerning customers are few and far between, and most casual people who play games will buy almost anything their favorite company(mostly Nintendo) shits out. Now granted, Nintendo hasn't gotten quite as bad as publishers like EA and Ubisoft...YET. They are heading that way quickly though, with shit like artificial scarcity on the amiibos and those plug n play things. Not to mention jumping on the season pass and turning every franchise into an open-world bandwagons.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, cartridges are more expensive to produce yeh.
A 32 GB flash chip is still more expensive then a 16 GB one.

Oh, Phantasy star on Vita also has a 10 GB download, with the Vita having a max of 64 GB memorycards.

Be glad the Switch has a microSD, Vita has an expensive as fuck memorycard.

D

Deleted-394630

Oh, Phantasy star on Vita also has a 10 GB download, with the Vita having a max of 64 GB memorycards.

Leave it to the community to change that, Vita2SD. Sony promoted piracy without knowing by using these proprietary memory cards. 100$ for 64gb? I'll pay $39.99 for 128gb thank you very much.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Leave it to the community to change that, Vita2SD. Sony promoted piracy without knowing by using these proprietary memory cards. 100$ for 64gb? I'll pay $39.99 for 128gb thank you very much.

Piracy aside, OP should be glad that the Switch isn't like the Vita.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this is ridiculous, they could have gone with 32gb card or atleast made a compress installer on the card itself so you wouldn't need online to download 14gb...

Reminds me Off COD WWII having the disc is usless since its not played on ps4 or xbox1 until you download the day one patch of 9 gb ...

Serious we are reaching the days that store bought games on phisical media cant be played unless you have internet connection, this just made me not buy the damn game and i was very eager to do so, heck i dont mind paying more if i get an actual full game on cart, but this is just ridiculous, the reason i buy phisical games is that once online is shutted off your screwed and it will happen, i dont give ps3,xbox360 online much longer maybe a year or 2 and every game that requires online is forever unplayable unless its hacked and you got the files and such.

well this news just made me not buy the game at all, heck why couldnt they made it like a compressed installer to fully install the game on sd or like afewgbs on phisical and an install to internal memory or something, makes no sence what they did here opt for the lower card size still charge the switch tax and then make you have internet to download the rest of the game... and rockstar is not an indie studio, they have billions and yet they were cheaper than NBA 2k they knew they choose a very small cartrige to save money on the cartrige but atleast they made an offline installer for micro sd

Last edited by pedro702,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Whats worse is that even though you paid for a physical copy of the game, you can‘t play it when someday the servers are taken off. I have a policy of not buying retail games that have a mandatory download requirement. Does a list with those games exist?

D

Deleted-394630

Whats worse is that even though you paid for a physical copy of the game, you can‘t play it when someday the servers are taken off. I have a policy of not buying retail games that have a mandatory download requirement. Does a list with those games exist?
I'll start asking around and start one later.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This has never ever been a problem. Either it's only the game servers offline and not the update servers, or the game just stops asking for updates when it can't access any. The only games that really get erased are multiplayer-only games, but if there's a passionate enough community they always find a workaround.

Tony_93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy aside, OP should be glad that the Switch isn't like the Vita.

My rant wasn't directed at the switch and it's memory problems, it was directed at Rockstar and their half digital game that easily fits in a 32GB cardtridge (besides the fact that they are already charging $10 more for the switch version).

I know that a cardtridge is more expensive to manufacture than a Blu-ray disc but let's be honest here, they don't cost $10 a piece to manufacture and still need go with a lower capacity than needed to cover expenses... that's beyond absurdity...

Also just because a restaurant owner tries to sell raw food as cooked doesn't mean you should be glad that another restaurant is trying to sell you half cooked food, your whole point revolves around "The vita was shit, you should be happy that the switch is half shit" (When my rant isn't even directed to Nintendo or the switch for that matter)

Last edited by Tony_93,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I am an Amazon Prime member, It gives me a %20 OFF from newly released games (2 weeks maximum after launch), making it $39.99 before tax too.

BUT I still don't like the whole idea that half the game needs to be downloaded... and if I pick the PS4 version I'll get %20 OFF from the $39.99 making it even cheaper/no download necessary...

The struggle is real xd

Most likely it will be the same price ($49.99) since Retailers/Nintendo are very anal about digital games being published cheaper than physical since it cannibalizes the retail market...
I thought ps4 games downloaded a copy of the whole game onto the system when you go to play the game from a physical copy? or am I getting stuff mixed up

Tony_93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought ps4 games downloaded a copy of the whole game onto the system when you go to play the game from a physical copy? or am I getting stuff mixed up
Yes you are, the PS4 copies the data that is in the disc and installs it in the PS4... The whole game is in the disc and then gets installed in the hard drive.

LA Noire on the switch however only has half a game in the cardtridge, to play the game you need to download the other half from their servers...

So you can buy the game, pop it inside the switch and you won't be playing untill you download the other half.

Trash_McPhail

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
LA Noire is a great game by the way, really enjoyed the campaign front to back, and great it's being brought to Switch.

I understand the frustration with the Cart size and day one download, but, the problem here is Nintendo, with lame ass 32GB of internal storage, 32GB for gaming device was tiny five years ago.

For every reason I adore Nintendo, their games and originality, there is a yang to the yin to hate, outdated online model and questionable technical decisions.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you are, the PS4 copies the data that is in the disc and installs it in the PS4... The whole game is in the disc and then gets installed in the hard drive.

LA Noire on the switch however only has half a game in the cardtridge, to play the game you need to download the other half from their servers...

So you can buy the game, pop it inside the switch and you won't be playing untill you download the other half.
so the copying to the hard drive isn't necessary on ps4 and you can play before it finishes doing it, tbh, it isn't as horrible for me as I intend to go digital anyway, I would gladly pay 10 dollars more for portability, I know it sounds dumb but whatever

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up