Gaming Why dont people like platformers as much?

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IVe played the new dk countries,almost finished dk64 like 2 years ago but I got bored of the collect a thon. I am playing 3d land right now and the game is simply amazing. It's a real shame nintendo doesn't make more games like this. The 3d effect actually works well for this game as opposed to other games. Any thoughts as to why people don't like platformers anymore?

ashxu

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
because it's an old as fuck genre with little to no innovation besides stupid gimmicks tacked on. When you think of platformers these days you think of shitty indie games that are insanely boring.

Mighty Switch Force was pretty average, the only upsides was it's soundtrack and sprites.

D

Deleted User

Most platform games I find pretty meh.
However there are some that i find great (love Kirby!)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there's generally little to no new mechanics introduced throughout the game. There's some exceptions, like the Wario Land series, where you might come across new enemies that give you different "powerup". That series also has an atmosphere and theme I enjoyed (at least 1 through 4). Anymore, though, platforming is just a small mechanic of a bigger action game, like the Metroid series or Shantae.

It's not that it died out, it's just a simple mechanic and genre that became the foundation for more complex genres and allowing for more advanced mechanics.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there's generally little to no new mechanics introduced throughout the game. There's some exceptions, like the Wario Land series, where you might come across new enemies that give you different "powerup". That series also has an atmosphere and theme I enjoyed (at least 1 through 4). Anymore, though, platforming is just a small mechanic of a bigger action game, like the Metroid series or Shantae.

It's not that it died out, it's just a simple mechanic and genre that became the foundation for more complex genres and allowing for more advanced mechanics.

Who cares though lol? I am enjoying the shit out of super mario 3d land. Cod Sells hella copies every year and it has been the exact same game basically since modern warfare so 10 years I would guess.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People do not like platformers not because platformers suck as a genre of game but because the kind of quality 80's, 90's and 2000's era games had that new platformer games do not have.

there are some exceptions, like the PS3 Ratchet & Clank series that are newer but are still really good. however, games made by Nintendo,Rare, Insomniac, and Naughty Dog back in the 90's and 2000's era that were platformers were excellent games and people wanted to play them. With stuff like Skylanders, Knack (I liked it but it did not go over well with most people), Disney Infinity, and various 2D and 3D perspective ok to good Mario games paving the way for the future of Platformers, I see it becoming a dead genre that will have its place in history next to text based adventure games.

I find this sad that out of the 2010+ era, Yooka-Laylee is seems to be the only Platformer coming out this generation that will be excellent (It better be). Nintendo has not made a 3D platformer Mario game since Super Mario Sunshine, and they are milking people on 2D sidescrollers as that is the least risky of the Platformer classes to invest in.

Anyone interested in Super Luigi 3D World, the next great expansion that continues on the path of excellence Super Luigi U started?

Last edited by driverdis,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares though lol? I am enjoying the shit out of super mario 3d land. Cod Sells hella copies every year and it has been the exact same game basically since modern warfare so 10 years I would guess.
And people are "enjoying the shit out of" CoD. It's different. People have different tastes. It's the same answer to the question of "Why does modern music suck?" It doesn't, you just have different tastes and/or are wearing nostalgia goggles. I would imagine most people who love platformers and/or "retro" games didn't stumble onto the genre in their 20s+ and started enjoying it. You grew up with it so you want more of it, it's as simple as that. I, for example, would love a Tomba 3, but if a different game were made with what Tomba 3's mechanics would have been, I might not even be interested.

It also doesn't help that there's been tons of platformers over the years and not enough innovation (either mechanically or story-wise) to distinguish them from the rest.

Reactions: Seita

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And people are "enjoying the shit out of" CoD. It's different. People have different tastes. It's the same answer to the question of "Why does modern music suck?" It doesn't, you just have different tastes and/or are wearing nostalgia goggles. I would imagine most people who love platformers and/or "retro" games didn't stumble onto the genre in their 20s+ and started enjoying it. You grew up with it so you want more of it, it's as simple as that. I, for example, would love a Tomba 3, but if a different game were made with what Tomba 3's mechanics would have been, I might not even be interested.

It also doesn't help that there's been tons of platformers over the years and not enough innovation (either mechanically or story-wise) to distinguish them from the rest.

I like shooters too though,I am just saying you can't say people don't like it because there are no innovations. It's the same thing with COD,I would like to see more platformers like back in the day,and you are right I did grow up with platformers on the n64( I am 21 now).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

People do not like platformers not because platformers suck as a genre of game but because the kind of quality 80's, 90's and 2000's era games had that new platformer games do not have.

there are some exceptions, like the PS3 Ratchet & Clank series and W, that are newer but are still really good. however, games made by Nintendo,Rare, Insomniac, and Naughty Dog back in the 90's and 2000's era that were platformers were excellent games and people wanted to play them. With stuff like Skylanders, Knack (I liked it but it did not go over well with most people), Disney Infinity, and various 2D and 3D perspective ok to good Mario games paving the way for the future of Platformers, I see it becoming a dead genre that will have its place in history next to text based adventure games.

I find this sad that out of the 2010+ era, Yooka-Laylee is seems to be the only Platformer coming out this generation that will be excellent (It better be). Nintendo has not made a 3D platformer Mario game since Super Mario Sunshine, and they are milking people on 2D sidescrollers as that is the least risky of the Platformer classes to invest in.

Anyone interested in Super Luigi 3D World, the next great expansion that continues on the path of excellence Super Luigi U started?

Isn't super mario 3d world a platformer?but yes your post pretty much says what I feel. The game quality is not the same,and it isn't just nostalgia. Too many games are shovelware and lacking effort.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like shooters too though,I am just saying you can't say people don't like it because there are no innovations. It's the same thing with COD,I would like to see more platformers like back in the day,and you are right I did grow up with platformers on the n64( I am 21 now).

Isn't super mario 3d world a platformer?but yes your post pretty much says what I feel. The game quality is not the same,and it isn't just nostalgia. Too many games are shovelware and lacking effort.
That's why my remark about innovation was written as an afterthought. Like you said, too many games are shovelware and lacking content. Since a rather sizeable portion of the world's population has grown up with easy access to video games at home there has been increasingly less avenues for innovation, at least software-wise. You can only have so many x before it gets stale. That's probably a big reason for the recent influx of VR: it's new. Eventually, however, that too will become old hat. You're just gonna have to get used to the fact that as you get older there will be less things that wow you.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most games are being made in 3D now to try to amaze gamers with the hardware and that loses a lot of appeal to us old gamers. It seems like the only people creating 2(.5)D games anymore are Indie devs. Platformers had their reign back in the 80s and 90s and now is the time of FPSes amd open world action. There are still plenty of platformers on PC but not nearly enough (good ones at least) on dedicated game platforms.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am playing 3d land right now and the game is simply amazing. It's a real shame nintendo doesn't make more games like this. The 3d effect actually works well for this game as opposed to other games.

There. It's in violation of their own rules, that 3D must be optional for the player.
It still is literally (except in the initial setup of the console, lol) but it's the only big name game where not using 3D penalizes you in certain levels!

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
The only time i ever play platformers is when I am in the mood for a bit of nostalgia from my SNES childhood days.

This lasts about 3 minutes, including waiting for the console and game to start up. And then i've had enough.

Platformers are not ageing well in the grand scheme of gaming.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
IVe played the new dk countries,almost finished dk64 like 2 years ago but I got bored of the collect a thon. I am playing 3d land right now and the game is simply amazing. It's a real shame nintendo doesn't make more games like this. The 3d effect actually works well for this game as opposed to other games. Any thoughts as to why people don't like platformers anymore?
I still love platformers, just not most new ones. They just don't make them like they used to. A Hat In Time is pretty fun though, and Yooka-Laylee is going to be great.
I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy and SMG2 as well.

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
How would you justify Mario Maker sales, for example?
I grew up with games and I noticed that tastes have changed because audiences change. There is still little room for platformers though most people like FPS nowadays.
It's still a matter of taste, like other people have stated here.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why my remark about innovation was written as an afterthought. Like you said, too many games are shovelware and lacking content. Since a rather sizeable portion of the world's population has grown up with easy access to video games at home there has been increasingly less avenues for innovation, at least software-wise. You can only have so many x before it gets stale. That's probably a big reason for the recent influx of VR: it's new. Eventually, however, that too will become old hat. You're just gonna have to get used to the fact that as you get older there will be less things that wow you.

I don't care about innovation though :D I just want quality games like before.I don't need gimmicks just normal quality games.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
the main problem is that RPG element which is missing from platformers... RPG element is very important in modern games.

look at shovel knight its got the right platformer elements & RPG elements which made it a big hit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh