Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

SwaGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't completely understand what arm9loaderhax is,but I know some stuff about it,it's something like an antibrick proetection (which I don't think I need since I've already downgraded and I'm not doing anything too risky),it loads faster and automatically (which I don't always need,and loading speed really can't be that faster,and if it easy, I'm already good with the menuhax.).I also know installing it requires a CFW which I don't have one (except for gateway cfw,and rxtools which I really don't see any difference.Also, it has a brick possibility which,for these I mentioned at least, my 3ds doesn't worth to be bricked for that.

Summing up,I just find my setup being convenient as it is right now.

Reactions: nwiifletcher

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't completely understand what arm9loaderhax is,but I know some stuff about it,it's something like an antibrick proetection (which I don't think I need since I've already downgraded and I'm not doing anything too risky),it loads faster and automatically (which I don't always need,and loading speed really can't be that faster,and if it easy, I'm already good with the menuhax.).I also know installing it requires a CFW which I don't have one (except for gateway cfw,and rxtools which I really don't see any difference.Also, it has a brick possibility which,for these I mentioned at least, my 3ds doesn't worth to be bricked for that.

Summing up,I just find my setup being convenient as it is right now.

Same, goat friend. Same. Even down to the rxtools.

Reactions: Wafflepaint

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
and loading speed really can't be that faster
More than twice as fast. Because with a menuhax setup, you load the sysNAND firmware entirely until loading the theme, then you take control and you load the emuNAND firmware entirely.
With a9lh, you take control before the sysNAND loads and you only load the NAND you want (sysNAND or emuNAND) directly patched.
So fast people made boot animations to waste time :P

But whatever, if menuhax doesn't bother you, don't bother with a9lh.

Reactions: XRaTiX

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
More than twice as fast. Because with a menuhax setup, you load the sysNAND firmware entirely until loading the theme, then you take control and you load the emuNAND firmware entirely.
With a9lh, you take control before the sysNAND loads and you only load the NAND you want (sysNAND or emuNAND) directly patched.
So fast people made boot animations to waste time [emoji14]

But whatever, if menuhax doesn't bother you, don't bother with a9lh.
Even with a splash screen and a boot animation a9lh is still faster than menuhax.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Kyojin

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was the reason of ending up in 11.0? Downgrade softbrick on a N3DS?
I don't know how it happened. I rebooted after one of the steps and I couldn't get back into menuhax. I took out my SD, rebooted, and found that sysnand is now 11.0 and I'm fucked. I have a nand backup for 9.20 and something earlier I forgot to label, but I'm not eager to pony up for a hardmod yet.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know how it happened. I rebooted after one of the steps and I couldn't get back into menuhax. I took out my SD, rebooted, and found that sysnand is now 11.0 and I'm fucked. I have a nand backup for 9.20 and something earlier I forgot to label, but I'm not eager to pony up for a hardmod yet.

Your console never auto-updates (even when an update is downloaded and ready to be installed), so it must have happened on steps 27-28 of part 3, especially this part:

Once you exit System Settings / SD Card Management you will be returned to SysNAND, make sure to enter back into RedNAND before updating!

Sorry to hear that it happened, though.

Last edited by Kyojin,

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The 3DS does not boot without an SD card. Fix that and I'll be the first to install A9LH.

It's not a bug, so there's nothing to be fixed there. The payload that is loaded has to be somewhere, and this somewhere is the SD card since it's what the 3DS uses to store stuff.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS does not boot without an SD card. Fix that and I'll be the first to install A9LH.
I've been planning on doing research into this, I suppose.

Problem is if I mess something up I'll be bricked without a hardmod, and right now I'm not willing to shell out 60 bucks for research into this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's not a bug, so there's nothing to be fixed there. The payload that is loaded has to be somewhere, and this somewhere is the SD card since it's what the 3DS uses to store stuff.
You could have it load the payload from NAND, but crypto stuff gets annoying.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You could have it load the payload from NAND, but crypto stuff gets annoying.

I thought about that, but it would be less convenient IMHO since having it on the SD card is way more versatile. Having it on NAND, you would have a very risk of brick every time you have to update it.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I thought about that, but it would be less convenient IMHO since having it on the SD card is way more versatile. Having it on NAND, you would have a very risk of brick every time you have to update it.
If I were to do anything it would A) Check if the card is inserted - if so load payload from card
B) If card isn't inserted, load payload from NAND

The code for checking the state of the card is already there and used.

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If I were to do anything it would A) Check if the card is inserted - if so load payload from card
B) If card isn't inserted, load payload from NAND

The code for checking the state of the card is already there and used.

Clever! :)

I guess I would also add a "and if payload exists" to A), but I guess that was implied.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
cant seem to find pokemon yellow,green,red or blue on the eshop, can someone help me please
They were probably never released on the eshop.
Clever! :)

I guess I would also add a "and if payload exists" to A), but I guess that was implied.
Most of that's just theoretical right now because I'm not willing to risk my pokemon n3ds without getting a hardmod first :P

That being said there are people I know who are actively working on developing something like what I said, so you should definitely keep an eye out.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cant seem to find pokemon yellow,green,red or blue on the eshop, can someone help me please
They were probably never released on the eshop.
Yes they were and still are on there. Where else would they be released? Nintendo's not going to do a physical release of those old games...

Make sure the region is set to "off" in your CIAAngel settings. As the current filtering method of "ANY" doesn't technically mean "ALL".

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"fix" what, exactly? The exploit basically points the system's bootloader to the SD card. I still don't get what people's fixation with this "issue" is anyways, do they REALLY use a system without an SD card all that often? Are they afraid of the SD card failing? (If so, it's as simple as frequently backing up your SD card, the same way as you would with any other data, and if push REALLY comes to shove, you can simply use a new SD card and pop on the firmware files, and you're good to go) Also, I'd be more than curious how exactly you intend to install games should this ever be "fixed"? (Here's a hint, the system itself doesn't have enough room open to fit an average game without an SD card). As it stands, you're actually further up shit creek (pardon the language) if you're using a menuhax setup, because 1. You're already relying on an SD card for the system to boot into the environment you're using, and 2. This is a bit harder to recover from, should your SD card take a nosedive on you...

Edit: and to address the one and only reasonable concern, keep a backup of sysnand before you install a9lh on it, if you have any possible intent on selling the system off long term, this can be used to bring you back to a full on factory system.

Last edited by dubbz82,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag