What's your favorite piece of Homebrew?

PalindromicBreadLoaf

Just a duck floating in a pond.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As the title says, I want to know what your favorite piece of homebrew is, and why It can be any for any system, and made by anyone.

Mine would definitely have to be The Homebrew Channel for the Wii, by Team Twiizers. This thing is amazing, it installed to your System Menu, allowed you to boot other homebrew apps, and gave you access to BootMii (as IOS).
Edit: After reconsidering my choice, I think that Riivolution deserves the spot as my favorite homebrew title. I have extremely fond memories playing Newer and other NSMBWii mods, along with me more recently heading back and going through any mods that I have on my SD card. And I have a lot, around 13 GiB of NSMBWii mods alone.

Last edited by PalindromicBreadLoaf,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could see having the wii homebrew channel for what it represents the culmination of but in the end it is still just a launcher, one that did not really have to defeat many obstacles or end up giving you many benefits over simpler methods. As far as launchers go I would sooner pick XBMC (nowadays called Kodi) over it for what did and has since become.

Anyway tough call. I have covered lots over the years ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ ) and liked many of them for many reasons. For pure fun and imagination I would probably not go much beyond the GBA and DS, maybe the PSP could sneak in there a bit (its version of Wagic was a thing to note). The 3ds, Wii U, 360, PS3 and all the others lacked much here and I am not predicting much in the future.

Meraman's Tetris Grand Masters "remake" is probably my favourite but on any given day there are 5 or 6 other pieces of DS or GBA homebrew that could be the thing I care to play.
Most of those were featured in https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-recommends-homebrew-1.159050/ https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-recommends-homebrew-2.160597/ https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-recommends-homebrew-3.162266/ https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-recommends-homebrew-4.164019/ https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-recommends-homebrew-5.165584/

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Excluding system tools, the "original" things I still remember fondly are:

WiiEarth - a, surprisingly still working, google/bing/openstreetmap client, one of the many things - commercial or not - that greatly benefit from the Wii's point and click feature
Achtung Wii Kurwe and Syobon Action - great original* games with a great soundtrack
Schism Tracker Wii* - came out pretty much around when my then-closest friend bought an Amiga
robotfindskitten* - doesn't need an explanation, not that you can give one anyway
Moonshell - DS is still the #1 console for multimedia (greatly because the PSP doesn't do MIDI, the Vita uses a stupid media database, and nobody really bothered with 3DS)
NDS Mail - probably literally unusable nowadays, but a great supporting example of my offbeat theory on the effect of "mobile" on consoles
DSOrganize - as above

* while they're ports of PC software, which normally I would rate low, I first found them out on the Wii and mostly played them on the same system - same reason why I'd add Enigma and Rocks'n'Diamonds on the Vita to these recommendations but not as much as the above ones

Oh yeah, Lockjaw, World of Sand, The Grand Master NDS, and Pocket Physics are great, but I mostly missed them in their heyday...

...and Sutra DS just for the "sticking it to The Man/Big Game" factor

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Wii - Homebrew Channel
DSi - TWiLight Menu
PSP - CFW 6.61 Pro/Pops Loader (I am not sure who should reap the laurels for the possibility to play PSX Games on it)
XBox - XBox Media Center
PlayStation 2 - uLaunchELF
PC - ModMii and HiyaCFW Helper makes Wii/DSi hacking/modding MUCH more easier.:bow:

Homebrew games - Combipoker on Atari 800 XL (Public Domain earlier they said)

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my favorites are switch homebrew apps that I made. I do like other people's switch homebrew apps.

I remember wiiearth I have that on my wii :) I might should make same thing for switch.

ignare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MOOOOOONSHELLLLLLLL 2.10 ALL THE WAY! I've been using it for years. Tried using my phone for music foor a bit but HATED it. How the fuck can people use shit like Spotify? lol Moonshell can play modules, for god's sake!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I like homebrew launchers (HBC for Wii), and file manager (WiiXplorer, FTPii, etc.) to prevent ejecting SD every time, same for all consoles.
tools and apps are for me the best homebrew genre, I don't really care about emulators or launchers as I don't play that much.

as for game, I tried only a few, so I'm not objective. I loved Fireworld (DS, coded in ASM), and Chronoclone (DS).
I wish chronoclone sources were available to port it to switch or to see how the recording is done.

I always hope to see a homebrew "API dev war", you know where you have basic dev command to create an AI which will control a robot to fight in an arena and confront other user's AI.
something like Switch's Human Resource game.

Also, something I really really think is missing in homebrew scene and always hope to see appear in homebrew bounties, is sport games ! (if you code a homebrew soccer, baseball, or whatever team sport, you win first place in my vote!). There, I gave a hint for unreleased switch game bounty contest.

Last edited by Cyan,
D

Deleted User

As the title says, I want to know what your favorite piece of homebrew is, and why It can be any for any system, and made by anyone.

Mine would definitely have to be The Homebrew Channel for the Wii, by Team Twiizers. This thing is amazing, it installed to your System Menu, allowed you to boot other homebrew apps, and gave you access to BootMii (as IOS).
Edit: After reconsidering my choice, I think that Riivolution deserves the spot as my favorite homebrew title. I have extremely fond memories playing Newer and other NSMBWii mods, along with me more recently heading back and going through any mods that I have on my SD card. And I have a lot, around 13 GiB of NSMBWii mods alone.
That's a hard one. For 3DS, mine would be Anemone. Gotta love that BGM only install feature. Not sure about Wii though.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Without a doubt it has to be Xbox Media Center, that turned a modded Xbox in to a Media Center device with media playback capabilities no commercial product could offer at the time.

17 years later its still going strong, starting out life as Xbox Media Player in 2002 and is living on as Kodi in 2019.

I do find it quite fitting Kodi is officially available on the Xbox One after all these years.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For the Wii: Wii homebrew shop, I'd spend hours as a semi kid downloading games and playing them, there a few interesting ones.
3ds: I think it was portal 3d, first time I did homebrew with 3ds, used Browserhax, and menuhax, that was fun
Switch, it was probably the zelda Botw save editor, worked really well, and it was fun to screw stuff up, and it didn't get me banned :,)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +2
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    i want a meatball sandwich
    now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Bout time you came out and admitted it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya talks to himself often
    +2
  • btei @ btei:
    papa johns makes me SHIT
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hello everyone
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Meatballs.

Lol.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I <3 meatballs
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Meatballs are fine. The IKEA ones are by far the best.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Meatballs are fine. The IKEA ones are by far the best.