GBAtemp Recommends! Homebrew #3

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jun 18, 2009.

Jun 18, 2009
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] GBAtemp Recommends! Homebrew #3
    Three older (but great) DS homebrew
    [​IMG]

GBAtemp Recommends!

Everlasting Love, Arcomage and PuzzleManiak

Once again it is time for the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
    Much like the previous posts we will be listing three homebrew titles ranging from well known games to games few have heard of and games with a massive story taking days to complete to minigames (that are no less damaging to your free time spent doing "useful things" intentions).
    All the systems GBAtemp covers have a large selection of homebrew and these posts are to help highlight some of the best examples.
    With that over onto the main event, this week three more DS titles but ones from earlier in the homebrew timescale.

[​IMG]Click here to read the full post
    [​IMG]Discuss

click for other gbatemp recommends homebrew

2. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

GBAtemp Recommends!

Everlasting Love, Arcomage and PuzzleManiak

Once again it is time for the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
    Much like the previous posts we will be listing three homebrew titles ranging from well known games to games few have heard of and games with a massive story taking days to complete to minigames (that are no less damaging to your free time spent doing "useful things" intentions).
    All the systems GBAtemp covers have a large selection of homebrew and these posts are to help highlight some of the best examples.
    With that over onto the main event, this week three more DS titles but ones from earlier in the homebrew timescale.

1)Everlasting love from Mia
    [​IMG]Author Homepage
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG]

A slightly older release first and one that garnered a great deal of attention when it was first released. At first glance you could be forgiven for thinking this is just another platforming game, if you looked more carefully you would see it is a hybrid of platform and music game. You control a monkey who jumps (only then allowing you to control movement) at various heights depending on the notes played at the time.
    There are two versions of the game (both are available in the GBAtemp download)
    The first version (everlasting in the download) has one level and the song in the background is where the game receives the title from. The song in question is Everlasting Love which you would likely have heard in the We ? Katamari game.
    The second version "Tomorrow Hill" (EverlastingTH) uses a song from Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

2)Arcomage from Bodom-Child
    [​IMG]Playeradvance project overview (French language)
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG]

Arcomage was a minigame first seen in fantasy role playing games Might and Magic VII on the PC along with the sequel and later as a standalone game. Play is a arguably a simplified version of games like Magic the gathering. You take turns in playing "cards" which do things like increase your wall size, tower size, gain resources or attack your opponent.

3)PuzzleManiak from Alx06
    [​IMG]Homepage of DS version
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG]

PuzzleManiak is a collection of 27 small puzzle games ranging from known games to obscure titles that rivals, if not exceeds, anything commercial developers have yet offered in terms of puzzle games for the DS and a game we suggest all homebrew users at least try. While the author has now moved on to porting it to other systems the final DS version is exceptionally polished.

3. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Puzzle Maniak shouldn't be a "recommendation"... It should be a demanding! It's Just awesome! Never gets deleted from my cart... Too bad "original" games aren't even near this game, since it's just too incredibly good!

4. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    Everlasting love is like one of the classic, its a sweet game with major class, if you could make 10 more level and fuse it together + a menu and a few add ons, you would see Nintendo selling it at 30-40 euro.

the 2 levels that have been made are perfect and a must for anyone, its a top call homebrew, in my opinion.

5. GenesisX

Member GenesisX GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Agreed =)

Played all 3 of these homebrew games enjoyed it all [​IMG]

6. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Everlasting Love looks really interesting! I better try it out soon.

7. -=SkReeK=-

Newcomer -=SkReeK=- Member

Germany
    Everlasting Love is really awesome, such a cute and addictive concept, it's a shame it didn't get to the point of a complete game.
    Nevertheless, i played this a lot when it first came out, thanks for the reminder! [​IMG]

8. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    just wanted to say thanks for posting this, puzzle maiak is an awesdome game.
    i feel ashamed for never getting it before...

9. ZER∅

Banned ZER∅ Banned

United States
    Thank you for this! Just a suggestion, but you could you throw in one GBA homebrew title with these reviews? It's hard to sort out the good from the bad with so many GBA homebrew titles!

10. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Thanks everyone.

@ZER? I do plan to move onto other consoles (indeed I thought about some GBA this time around).
    As a start though powder is on the GBA although I rate the DS version over it purely for the touchscreen, http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/gba/index.html.en if you like shmups, http://www.geocities.com/quirky_2k1/games/index.html (elite) and http://www.pdroms.de/files/1317/ (Herg's solitaire- one of the best card games collections anywhere let alone on the GBA) make for a good start.
    The GBA is extremely well emulated too so testing should not be too cumbersome either.

11. laSraliss

Newcomer laSraliss Newbie

United States
    Thanks. I would like to have the most up to date homebrew channel in wad format.

12. MegaAce™

Member MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Germany
    This is a thread about DS homebrew [​IMG]

13. lildaz

Member lildaz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Played the last one...might try the first homebrew out.

14. DsHacker14

Member DsHacker14 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just tried PuzzleManiak. Its great! Im about to try the others too. Thanks for these homebrew recommendations [​IMG]

15. rafcor

Newcomer rafcor Advanced Member

Brazil
    Just FYI, the portuguese (brazilian) translation of the DS version (there's for the iPhone too) was made by me!
    It's a great game and I had to translate it, but still play it in English, much better!

16. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    puzzlemaniak is not a game to be missed esp since everything in it is so wonderfully done

17. bnwchbammer

Member bnwchbammer GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Everlasting love was extremely creative. Wish there were more levels though, but insanely fun concept, as short as it is. Only problem I've found is it gets a little irritating at one point in each level, but I beat both of them. Puzzle maniak is absolutely awesome. So many incredibly hard puzzles that are fun. Some are a little, meh, but with the large selection of puzzles, it's forgiving.

18. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I remember playing PuzzleManiak, awesome game!