Country
United Kingdom
review.gif
GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew #2
Three more great DS homebrew titles.
gbatrec.png

GBAtemp Recommends!

Codename Hacker, Marble and Lone Wolf DS

Welcome back to the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
For those just joining us in each of these posts we will be recommending a handful of homebrew games for various platforms we cover on the site. We will cover well known games to those that are somewhat below the radar as well as similarly epic 90 hour RPGs to games that would not feel out of place as a single game in a mini game collection.
Homebrew is an interesting phenomenon and it allows developers to trial new and interesting ideas, ideas that would not make a viable game and remake old classics.
All of the systems we endeavour to cover on GBAtemp have a large amount of homebrew available and much of it is very good, this makes picking just a few titles each time very difficult but we will continue on regardless. This time we are continuing with the DS and are showcasing three more excellent DS homebrew titles.

icon11.gif
Click here to read the post
discuss.png
Discuss

click for other gbatemp recommends homebrew

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbatrec.png

GBAtemp Recommends!

Codename Hacker, Marble and Lone Wolf DS

Welcome back to the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
For those just joining us in each of these posts we will be recommending a handful of homebrew games for various platforms we cover on the site. We will cover well known games to those that are somewhat below the radar as well as similarly epic 90 hour RPGs to games that would not feel out of place as a single game in a mini game collection.
Homebrew is an interesting phenomenon and it allows developers to trial new and interesting ideas, ideas that would not make a viable game and remake old classics.
All of the systems we endeavour to cover on GBAtemp have a large amount of homebrew available and much of it is very good, this makes picking just a few titles each time very difficult but we will continue on regardless. This time we are continuing with the DS and are showcasing three more excellent DS homebrew titles.

icon11.gif
Click here to read the post
discuss.png
Discuss

In case you missed out on the previous GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew you can see it here: GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew #1

1)Codename Hacker from Alekmaul
icon11.gif
Homepage
download.gif
GBAtemp download

[986]CNHackerBoxArt_small.png
CNHacker_02.png

Thanks to the author for the screenshot​

One of the busiest developers on the DS is Alekmaul, he has done over 15 programs for the DS including several notable emulators. Included among those is Codename hacker which a port of the "Chip's Challenge" that some viewers may recall from the "Best of Windows Entertainment Pack" back on Windows 3.1x as well as the sequel to it.
It is primarily a puzzle game where the player tries to get to the exit but in the way are many obstacles to be overcome and doors to be unlocked

2)Marble from Noda
icon11.gif
Homepage
download.gif
GBAtemp download
[6190]marble.jpg

Thanks to the author for the screenshots​

Some of you may recall Noda from the Warcraft : Tower Defense game he made as well as some of the libraries he coded but today is the turn on one of the less well known games called Marble. Marble is a clone of Marble madness (chances are you have seen super monkey ball at some point, it is the same sort of game) and much like the real life equivalent Labyrinth the aim is to navigate a maze with a marble as fast as you can.
The game features a great physics engine, 3d graphics and a level editor.
Note it also has support for the DS motion pack if you have one of them

3)Lone Wolf DS
icon11.gif
Homepage
At the request of the author no mirrors are available.

lonewolfflightfromthedarkness.png

More screenshots

Lone Wolf is a series of fantasy choose your adventure type books following the survivor of an attack on his school.
Lone Wolf was first seen on the DS in the very innovative hyena audiobook player but this version accounts for all the mechanics and provides a nice background, map and info screens

richard.brooksid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like this "GBATemp recommends!" thing you are doing. I look forward to when the next one will come out since you always highlight some terriffic games. This edition is no different too. I love finding unusual, different, non-mainstream games/apps for the DS but it is 10x better when the program is quality. This publication has not let me down yet and I am still playing with the ones from #1.

Thank you for the hard work, continued dedication and overall great efforts you put into this site. It is fast becoming my most trusted source.

----R

opearn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks, i hadn't seen the marble one before.
i already had the others.

you might want to reccomend doom or quake 1/2 although depending on your defoinition of homebrew....

Video games hero is very good also

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
LoneWolfDS is an awful lot of fun, so thanks for pointing out a game I normally wouldn't have noticed. Does anyone know a decent site or sites with more stuff like this? I've tried sites like ndshb.com, but that never seems to come up with anything note worthy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to see people are liking these.

They are not all that hard to do (chances are we have it in the downloads section already so a bit of linking, some typing and we are done) so I might even up the frequency if I find myself with time to spare, it would also help get through more of it.

Still if you can not wait then we have several threads in the DS homebrew section (some did not survive the recent sidelining of old threads though):
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154...t=0&start=0
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=827...t=0&start=0

You could also try relying on the masses and using ordering based on downloads in our downloads section:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=downloads...&order=DESC
It is usually free to all without registering/signing in so it should provide a fairly good metric, admittedly you will still miss out on quite a lot of good stuff relying solely on that (the apps with quick updates or lots of them, the older stuff that perhaps is not linked via a newspost but added later and stuff that is not in the section for whatever reason).

On the other hand if these threads cause people to go off and have a look that would also be great, personally I find this comic more or less relevant here if you replace flash games with homebrew:
http://xkcd.com/484/

Oh and for anyone wondering there is no rhyme or reason behind my choices beyond them being good to play.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Glad to see people are liking these.

They are not all that hard to do (chances are we have it in the downloads section already so a bit of linking, some typing and we are done) so I might even up the frequency if I find myself with time to spare, it would also help get through more of it.

Still if you can not wait then we have several threads in the DS homebrew section (some did not survive the recent sidelining of old threads though):
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154...t=0&start=0
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=827...t=0&start=0

You could also try relying on the masses and using ordering based on downloads in our downloads section:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=downloads...&order=DESC
It is usually free to all without registering/signing in so it should provide a fairly good metric, admittedly you will still miss out on quite a lot of good stuff relying solely on that (the apps with quick updates or lots of them, the older stuff that perhaps is not linked via a newspost but added later and stuff that is not in the section for whatever reason).

On the other hand if these threads cause people to go off and have a look that would also be great, personally I find this comic more or less relevant here if you replace flash games with homebrew:
http://xkcd.com/484/

Oh and for anyone wondering there is no rhyme or reason behind my choices beyond them being good to play.

Thanks for all of that. I've now got Flight from the Dark, which is really awesome, GeoWars, MegaETk, New Zelda, StillAliveDS (which is amazing), Videogame Hero and that Warcraft Tower Defence game. Some really awesome games that I didn't know about, so thanks for that. : D

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I really love Lone Wolf DS but have never been able to complete the 2nd book: Fire on the Water as I never have the Magical Spear needed to kill the Ghoul thing. Without it, no matter what route you take you will die.

Anyone have any ideas? I always import my Book 1 completion stats yet still always have this problem.

Andrut

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ive been coresponding with the author of lone wolf and i have some news for ya.
The lone wolf ds series is on hold because there is a publisher that wants to sell it on this new dsiware.
So either we get the lone wolf books ds thanks to it faster or if the deals off well have it slower but for free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.