GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew #2

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jun 10, 2009.

Jun 10, 2009

GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew #2 by FAST6191 at 8:03 PM (11,183 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew #2
    Three more great DS homebrew titles.
    [​IMG]

GBAtemp Recommends!

Codename Hacker, Marble and Lone Wolf DS

Welcome back to the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
    For those just joining us in each of these posts we will be recommending a handful of homebrew games for various platforms we cover on the site. We will cover well known games to those that are somewhat below the radar as well as similarly epic 90 hour RPGs to games that would not feel out of place as a single game in a mini game collection.
    Homebrew is an interesting phenomenon and it allows developers to trial new and interesting ideas, ideas that would not make a viable game and remake old classics.
    All of the systems we endeavour to cover on GBAtemp have a large amount of homebrew available and much of it is very good, this makes picking just a few titles each time very difficult but we will continue on regardless. This time we are continuing with the DS and are showcasing three more excellent DS homebrew titles.

[​IMG]Click here to read the post
    [​IMG]Discuss

click for other gbatemp recommends homebrew

2. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

GBAtemp Recommends!

Codename Hacker, Marble and Lone Wolf DS

Welcome back to the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
    For those just joining us in each of these posts we will be recommending a handful of homebrew games for various platforms we cover on the site. We will cover well known games to those that are somewhat below the radar as well as similarly epic 90 hour RPGs to games that would not feel out of place as a single game in a mini game collection.
    Homebrew is an interesting phenomenon and it allows developers to trial new and interesting ideas, ideas that would not make a viable game and remake old classics.
    All of the systems we endeavour to cover on GBAtemp have a large amount of homebrew available and much of it is very good, this makes picking just a few titles each time very difficult but we will continue on regardless. This time we are continuing with the DS and are showcasing three more excellent DS homebrew titles.

[​IMG]Click here to read the post
    [​IMG]Discuss

In case you missed out on the previous GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew you can see it here: GBAtemp recommends! Homebrew #1

1)Codename Hacker from Alekmaul
    [​IMG]Homepage
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks to the author for the screenshot​

One of the busiest developers on the DS is Alekmaul, he has done over 15 programs for the DS including several notable emulators. Included among those is Codename hacker which a port of the "Chip's Challenge" that some viewers may recall from the "Best of Windows Entertainment Pack" back on Windows 3.1x as well as the sequel to it.
    It is primarily a puzzle game where the player tries to get to the exit but in the way are many obstacles to be overcome and doors to be unlocked

2)Marble from Noda
    [​IMG]Homepage
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to the author for the screenshots​

Some of you may recall Noda from the Warcraft : Tower Defense game he made as well as some of the libraries he coded but today is the turn on one of the less well known games called Marble. Marble is a clone of Marble madness (chances are you have seen super monkey ball at some point, it is the same sort of game) and much like the real life equivalent Labyrinth the aim is to navigate a maze with a marble as fast as you can.
    The game features a great physics engine, 3d graphics and a level editor.
    Note it also has support for the DS motion pack if you have one of them

3)Lone Wolf DS
    [​IMG]Homepage
    At the request of the author no mirrors are available.

[​IMG]
    More screenshots

Lone Wolf is a series of fantasy choose your adventure type books following the survivor of an attack on his school.
    Lone Wolf was first seen on the DS in the very innovative hyena audiobook player but this version accounts for all the mechanics and provides a nice background, map and info screens

3. eldaddio

Newcomer eldaddio Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Great stuff. It's so easy for good homebrew stuff to pass you by; I look forward to trying these out.

4. Calafas

Member Calafas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Nice, i've heard of Lone Wolf, but not the other 2, will check them out.

5. richard.brooksid

Newcomer richard.brooksid Member

United States
    I really like this "GBATemp recommends!" thing you are doing. I look forward to when the next one will come out since you always highlight some terriffic games. This edition is no different too. I love finding unusual, different, non-mainstream games/apps for the DS but it is 10x better when the program is quality. This publication has not let me down yet and I am still playing with the ones from #1.

Thank you for the hard work, continued dedication and overall great efforts you put into this site. It is fast becoming my most trusted source.

----R

6. opearn

Newcomer opearn Advanced Member

Australia
    thanks, i hadn't seen the marble one before.
    i already had the others.

you might want to reccomend doom or quake 1/2 although depending on your defoinition of homebrew....

Video games hero is very good also

7. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    You sure are working hard on this FAST, #2 so quickly after #1. [​IMG] I'll have to try Marble, screen shots look awesome.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Chip's Challenge...

now that brings back memories
    I remember playing that all the time on 3.1

9. gosp

Member gosp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Hadn't heard about LonewolfDS, but I remember the books. Checking this out right now.

10. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    Fuck yeah @ LoneWolfDS.

Shame the guy hasn't made it past the second book.

11. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    LoneWolfDS is an awful lot of fun, so thanks for pointing out a game I normally wouldn't have noticed. Does anyone know a decent site or sites with more stuff like this? I've tried sites like ndshb.com, but that never seems to come up with anything note worthy.

12. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Glad to see people are liking these.

They are not all that hard to do (chances are we have it in the downloads section already so a bit of linking, some typing and we are done) so I might even up the frequency if I find myself with time to spare, it would also help get through more of it.

Still if you can not wait then we have several threads in the DS homebrew section (some did not survive the recent sidelining of old threads though):
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154...t=0&start=0
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=827...t=0&start=0

You could also try relying on the masses and using ordering based on downloads in our downloads section:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=downloads...&order=DESC
    It is usually free to all without registering/signing in so it should provide a fairly good metric, admittedly you will still miss out on quite a lot of good stuff relying solely on that (the apps with quick updates or lots of them, the older stuff that perhaps is not linked via a newspost but added later and stuff that is not in the section for whatever reason).

On the other hand if these threads cause people to go off and have a look that would also be great, personally I find this comic more or less relevant here if you replace flash games with homebrew:
    http://xkcd.com/484/

Oh and for anyone wondering there is no rhyme or reason behind my choices beyond them being good to play.

13. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    That XKCD comic was so true. [​IMG]

14. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks for all of that. I've now got Flight from the Dark, which is really awesome, GeoWars, MegaETk, New Zelda, StillAliveDS (which is amazing), Videogame Hero and that Warcraft Tower Defence game. Some really awesome games that I didn't know about, so thanks for that. : D

15. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    WOW, these look freak'in cool, can't wait to give them a try, great work.

16. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I really like this GBatemp recommends as well, thanks! It's a great idea.

I've read the last Lone Wolf book unless I'm mistaken and I really liked it. [​IMG]

17. jmonee84

Newcomer jmonee84 Member

United States
    These games looks great!! Thanks for all your hard work!!

18. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I really love Lone Wolf DS but have never been able to complete the 2nd book: Fire on the Water as I never have the Magical Spear needed to kill the Ghoul thing. Without it, no matter what route you take you will die.

Anyone have any ideas? I always import my Book 1 completion stats yet still always have this problem.

19. DsHacker14

Member DsHacker14 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow these look amazing! Can't wait to try them out. Thanks to the people that developed these homebrew :]

20. Andrut

Newcomer Andrut Newbie

Poland
    Ive been coresponding with the author of lone wolf and i have some news for ya.
    The lone wolf ds series is on hold because there is a publisher that wants to sell it on this new dsiware.
    So either we get the lone wolf books ds thanks to it faster or if the deals off well have it slower but for free.