• Replies 137

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninja Commando on the Atari 800:
ninja_commando_2.png

You could just copy the cassette tape to another and eventually we knew someone that could copy the huge floppy discs which was awesome at the time!

Cassettes were neat, especially when you had multiple games on one tape. You had to wind to the correct place on the tape (which you could tell by checking the counter), then load until it reached the end point (each game had the "length" noted on the case) and stop the loading manually because the player didn't have any automatic end of file recognition :lol:
And everything took so..... long............. to................. load......................

A local radio show used to broadcast computer programs that you could tape and then load and run :lol:
"And now, an hour of screeching noises. Remember to press 'record' at the tone, and stop recording at the exit tone."
Oh GOD tape drives. I had one for my C64 and my dad got me a phone book sized book of basic coding for games, like night driver, pong, snake, etc.

My first pirated games were Moon Patrol and the original Mario Bros. (before they were super) and Number Munchers on an Apple ][. What was funny was I had classes and each had one game or the other. I figured out how to copy the floppies and had to where each class had a copy of each game for each machine. That was in like 2nd grade.

PolarKoala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was the first game I ever played on an emulator. Although, being the fanboy I am, I later bought it on Wii Virtual Console. I never did beat the game, legally or otherwise.

Although my stepfather had pirated several games before then for me, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Something I've noticed when reading these posts is that a lot of us have a common background: a family member or friend got us started on it.

Last edited by PolarKoala,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, people were nervous about pirating games? I never was! Though, I was kinda nervous about music. I remember deleting a bunch of songs off my hard drive, because the RIAA started suing people for downloading songs from Kazaa. I got over it eventually, and pirated to my hearts content! I never once got a copyright strike, even after all these years.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The word piracy wasn't even known.
someone asked me if I wanted deluxe paint. *copy the floppy disk* There, you have it too.

I guess even before computer's data, we were used to copy VHS or audio cassettes. It was just possible, and it's how it was done for everyone.
Sony and Philips sold blank cassettes, it wasn't to hear white noise....

Reactions: Seriel

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was Tomb Raider (1996) on an italian CD-Rom with purple bottom surface labeled "Twilight 8" or something. As I learned only a few years ago it was ripped (no music and FMV) to make it fit the CD-Rom among other pirated games. Back then in Italy you could straight buy those in certain shops because nobody really cared about piracy.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
Gianna Sisters for the C64.
No, i wasn't ashamed. I had no concept of good or bad, yet.

hibachib

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 3/6 with the ZSNES emulator. I remember downloading the files off of a dial-up BBS back in the day.

/old

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was probably return of the incredible machine.

i didn't do the pirating, though. at the age of five, i was not aware of such devilish acts.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the Infocomm games on the C64 maybe Zork or was it Ultima, don't recall for sure. Shortly after I got a 300 baud modem and found my first BBS that had commercial software for download. Before that it was all PD sites and Compuserve, don't even recall how I managed to find my first BBS with commercial software.

After that found other kids with C64's and we would trade games and apps. Fast Hack'em was used allot then..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since