Gaming what is the best mmorpg out there?

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
We're veering off-topic.

Positioning, map awareness, judgement and picks are all strategy, not skill. I started playing LoL (because DOTA2 doesn't function at all on my PC) and I could FEEL that I was much, much better than my teammates or opponents. Though my team keeps feeding so damn much we tend to lose to a 6 level gap with their jungler =_=
But anyway, once you've got it you've got it. All those strategy elements are fairly easy to learn. What separates the kids from the big boys, is deploying your skills properly. Traditional MOBAs have a giant layer of simplicity drawn in. All I have to do for plenty of my skills is simply click my opponent and my autolock will shoot the skill wherever and hit them. Judging attack distance on the fly is, I find, also extremely easy in traditional MOBAs. Some skills obviously are aimed, but I found I was never missing with them at all as Ahri or Annie. It was nearly impossible.

I'm not saying LoL and DOTA require no skill. That'd be silly. But I am saying that thanks to Smite's combat system and hows it set up, there's a hell of a lot more player skill involved. You don't just need to learn those basics of strategy, but you also need to KNOW your skills more than you ever do for LoL or DOTA. I also like that you're stuck to your character, but that's just personal preference. It's too bad I can't play DOTA2, since i'd greatly prefer that. (to LoL, I mean)
hmm well maybe i have confused the two(skills and strategy). although i do think it is still a kind of skill. RTS from what limited knowledge i know, is you almost follow the same method to build your base and summon enough firepower to destroy the enemy.
In ARTS however, there's a lot of variables involved and you have to be a good problem solver if you're not playing a non-tournament hero or strat. the so-called troll builds.
but even so, there's still heroes that require skill to play, one of which is meepo. at lvl 16 you control 4(or 5) of them, and if one dies, all dies. storm spirit who if used skillfully, wouldn't be hit and will just ball of lightning around you.
I sometimes enjoy playing heroes with 3-4 active spells and have 4-5 more active items in my inventory. some have low cooldown. although it was simplified by hotkeys, back when using legacy keys we practiced to have our left hand move fast enough to throw 3-5 spells in 2-3 seconds.
mobility in dota is also important, force staff and blink dagger. helps in dodging targeted spells.
it still require a lot of skill, many are just unfamiliar with how to really enjoy playing this game.

i just wait for lan now and play other games like blacklight retribution because it seems that most people have slow reaction or mostly just rely on farming creeps than farming enemy heroes.

although i still play it at times. this game is just too damn good to quit. the only thing that made me quit dota 1, is dota 2.

to not stay off topic, i would say dota 2 is a really good game to get into, but at this point, probably get some friends or a clan to play with if you really want to.
I have to warn you though, this is a very fun game, nothing much to lose if you haven't played for a year other than read changelogs and learning about 3-4 new heroes. But if you're just starting now, it's a very long road. know the mechanics(stats, damage types) and familiarize all the heroes so you would know what possible interactions could happen(basically x+y=z).
also, never cry too much about OP heroes. there is almost always a counter to something. when you think a hero is OP, it might just have been that you have been countered.

ps i can't go in detail about lol, and smite because i have not played both. they might be games of the same genre but they have different mechanics/gameplay/meta.

okay last edit: i'm looking for a free to play mmorpg with massive raids and open world pvp. not those free-for-all but faction against faction, similar to rf online. also prefer if there is technical class(summoner,sentries,trappers with boom boom). i'me looking towards firefall when i get bored with BLR.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Firefall seems DOA. I played it during beta and it had people everywhere.
Tried it recently and in 3 hours I saw maybe 10 people.
Kinda brutal. Dunno if everyone was just in endgame areas or what, but I was really surprised how empty it was overall.

...hell even the monsters got bored and left. In beta there was crap everywhere. Now its just a barren wasteland.

fidrocka

teen programer
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am verry unsatisfied with star wars old republic... just saw some game play from phantasy star online 2 it looks epic ^.^ guild wars 2 look verry cool too ... dc universe is not so popular in my school anymore... there was a lot of buz for it but that quickly changed for some reason... i think im going to stick with phantasy star online 2 or guild of wars ...i tried WoW already it was boring lol well at least the free download of it , may be better with a subscription and all idk. feeling like it was overhyped

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
i am verry unsatisfied with star wars old republic... just saw some game play from phantasy star online 2 it looks epic ^.^ guild wars 2 look verry cool too ... dc universe is not so popular in my school anymore... there was a lot of buz for it but that quickly changed for some reason... i think im going to stick with phantasy star online 2 or guild of wars ...i tried WoW already it was boring lol well at least the free download of it , may be better with a subscription and all idk. feeling like it was overhyped

If Phantasy Star is free, try that first. If you don't like it, go for Guild Wars 2. I've pretty much fallen in love with it but can't play at the moment. :(
Oh, and they added more content a couple of days ago. They've been adding new content every 2 weeks for the past couple of months.

fidrocka

teen programer
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Phantasy Star is free, try that first. If you don't like it, go for Guild Wars 2. I've pretty much fallen in love with it but can't play at the moment. :(
Oh, and they added more content a couple of days ago. They've been adding new content every 2 weeks for the past couple of months.
i will make to try it out thanks for the info ^.^
Ragnarok Online has the best PVP I've ever played. The card system is so unique and game changing. It does take a lot of time to get the required equipment for PVP though. But it's totally worth it for PVP and WoE (Guild vs Guild)
looks alot like the game play in wizard 101.... its verry kiddish :/ but i could be wrong im going to study it a bit further ^.^

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i will make to try it out thanks for the info ^.^
looks alot like the game play in wizard 101.... its verry kiddish :/ but i could be wrong im going to study it a bit further ^.^

It's not kiddish at all.
Quite the contrary, building properly requires a LOT of thought and knowledge of the systems. It's 0% like Wizard 101. Its just old with anime style oldschool graphics, not a childrens game.
If someone wants PvP, RO is the game to play. It's the best out there for that.

D

Deleted-236924

The thing is players can sell diamonds to each other so you don't need to pay real money.
Yeah, but then you can just use your real money to buy those and sell to players for in-game money, effectively letting you buy in-game money with real money.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, but then you can just use your real money to buy those and sell to players for in-game money, effectively letting you buy in-game money with real money.

Every single MMO has this on the black market anyway. Hell its probably cheaper just to buy gold straight from gold sellers as opposed to buying diamonds. That's typically how it is in MMOs, selling cash items is more of a hassle for less profit in the end.
At least they don't sell game currency for straight cash. Maplestory loves doing that now, and its exactly why the meso economy is totally borked. Most devs worry about money sinks, then there's Nexon selling billions of mesos and completely fucking a servers prices. Age of Wushu is the worst though, you either do a couple things for piddly amounts of currency, or you straight buy it with real money. They have two currencies. The primary one you get from most things, its untradable. You can only spend it on NPC related things. Then the premium currency you pay real money for, or a few limited and hugely time constrained activities give you a bit of it as well, is what you use to trade with players.

Also I believe GW2 and Spiral Knights do the same, you can sell cash shop currency for ingame currency through a built in system.

It's better than just keeping the poor poor and the rich rich. Anyone can get cash shop items, you just have to work a bit harder.
All the same, RoM's cash shop is totally broken and unless you're rich, you'll get ROFLstomped in PvP.

D

Deleted-236924

Every single MMO has this on the black market anyway.

While gold is available on the black market, it makes a huge difference in this case, because a game is only considered "Pay-to-Win" when the developers themselves are providing their own way of buying advantages.
If you're going to include the black market in this, then every single multiplayer game may as well be considered Pay-to-Win and then the "yeah but this game is Pay-to-Win" argument loses all of its value.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While gold is available on the black market, it makes a huge difference in this case, because a game is only considered "Pay-to-Win" when the developers themselves are providing their own way of buying advantages.
If you're going to include the black market in this, then every single multiplayer game may as well be considered Pay-to-Win and then the "yeah but this game is Pay-to-Win" argument loses all of its value.

Touche. Thanks to how gear-oriented MMOs are these days, I suppose you're right.
About the only MMO to survive Pay2win would be Ragnarok Online, to a degree. Even then its not 100%.
But i've seen many, many times where there are people in insane gear with extremely good cards, but are still beat easily by much more skilled players because they get outplayed and countered trying to do anything. But unfortunately games like Ragnarok are few and far...hell I can't even name another.

I suppose the reason currency selling works just fine on GW2 and Spiral Knights is because neither is PvP focused at all, it's a feature sure, but neither really cares about that. Whereas games like RoM, the endgame really only IS PVP or raiding the same shit over and over and over for nothing.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Currency selling in GW2 works fine because none of the items in the cash shop over power players. The cash shop can get you skins, mini pets, boosts to magic find and EXP gain, etc. The cash shop is the reason they keep releasing so much content.

fidrocka

teen programer
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not kiddish at all.
Quite the contrary, building properly requires a LOT of thought and knowledge of the systems. It's 0% like Wizard 101. Its just old with anime style oldschool graphics, not a childrens game.
If someone wants PvP, RO is the game to play. It's the best out there for that.

nope sorry i take back what i said just saw some good gameplay and its great there were some pictures on google that i did not analyze coreectly sorry about that ^.^

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Currency selling in GW2 works fine because none of the items in the cash shop over power players. The cash shop can get you skins, mini pets, boosts to magic find and EXP gain, etc. The cash shop is the reason they keep releasing so much content.

You can exchange gems for gold which can get you the best gear in the game.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can't get gear for gems in GW2. You can get weapon and armor skins, but that's all they are, just skins.
This is all of the items on their wiki
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store

Should read what he said.
You can exchange gems for gold. AKA, actual currency. Though I don't recall how good tradeable gear is, since most MMOs like that, most of the best shit has to be raided for.
Well not really 'exchange'. You just sell your gems to players.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Should read what he said.
You can exchange gems for gold. AKA, actual currency. Though I don't recall how good tradeable gear is, since most MMOs like that, most of the best shit has to be raided for.
Well not really 'exchange'. You just sell your gems to players.
That's the thing about GW2, you can't trade with other players. It all goes through auction houses. Gems can't be sold to players, only to the game. The exchange rate is always changing too. It's also very easy to get good gear. Once you hit level 80, you can run a 10 minute dungeon and get tokens. After 2 or 3 runs, you'll have enough tokens to exchange for an exotic piece. So even if you buy gems and exchange for gold, you're getting ripped off by a lot. I just checked and 800 gems is roughly 30 gold right now, which is $10. A decent exotic costs around 5 gold with the better skinned and precursors going to the 400-500 gold.
Also, PVP is completely separate from the main game. Everyone can make any build with any gear in PVP. All you do there is win the skins and rank up.
In WVW it doesn't even matter what gear you have because if you stay with a large group of 40-50 people and fight with another group, you'll most likely die no matter what.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.