Gaming what is the best mmorpg out there?

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I don't remember being able to buy diamonds from other players. That would make things more legit obviously since that means you can just buy diamonds with IGC...interesting. Still not worth it when some of the stuff required a couple thousand dollars though lol. Unless they changed that too. Maybe i'll check the stupid game out again...been over a year.
Its too generic for me to stay, but I don't want to spout hate for things it might've fixed.

No they never fixed the stuff that costs thousands. As I recall, you can "+" you're items up to 15 I think and they get much stronger. If you farm gear and "+" them, it'll cost you some diamonds to get the enhancing item. It you want to but everything with diamonds it'll be a few thousand per item you get up to "+15" which is so ridiculous.

Camplord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Wonderking was pretty much the WoWclone of Maplestory...
I never understand clone games, because you take an idea thats already gained massive popularity, and try to steal an established fanbase...it just seems silly.
I guess thats why WK got tossed so quickly.

I played Maplestory yet while it was fun, I still found Wonderking to be more charming, I dunno what it was...but its kinda sad its down right now.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks everyone im going too try out star wars free to play one and if its not that good, i will WoW and Guild Of wars 2. IN that order because i see that you can try WoW for free and guild of wars 2 is money off the bat so yea thanks all :)

F2P Star Wars is thrash. Everything is so limited you will not have fun.

Maplestory if you're feeling adventurous...it's unique.

Not at all. It's just a 2D MMO, it's been done plenty of times

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
F2P Star Wars is thrash. Everything is so limited you will not have fun.

Not at all. It's just a 2D MMO, it's been done plenty of times

I'd love to hear your list of Maplestory-esque MMOs.
I'm all ears.

League of Legends, even though it's not an MMORPG.

Seriously, it's in another league. So much fun, so addictive, so much content. F2P

LoL is dated. Smite is the MOBA of the future. Might as well point people to that.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to hear your list of Maplestory-esque MMOs.
I'm all ears.
In NA? Maple Story is probably the only one or one of the few. I really don't keep up with MMOs these days, but saying Maple Story is original is a huge lie, it is by far the most succesful, but as I said not original.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In NA? Maple Story is probably the only one or one of the few. I really don't keep up with MMOs these days, but saying Maple Story is original is a huge lie, it is by far the most succesful, but as I said not original.

Put up or shut up. If you don't provide a list you're not being very convincing. Unless I missed a whole stream of MMOs, there are very, very few like Maplestory. There's Wonder King and that's about it unless there's some F-grade childrens games.
Its not just another 2D MMO, its established itself as quite different from any of the 2D MMOs i've really seen. Namely because its a proper MMO, unlike games like Grand Chase or Elsword which are just online lobby RPGs.
Only real way I can see you being right is if you pulled a bunch of foreign games since I really don't keep up on those unless they're big names.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about LaTale?
I actually completely forgot about that game, heh.
Though its worth noting it came out 3 years after Maplestory, and I still find Maplestory trumps it by a large margin.
However if I recall it got a rather large update 3 months ago or something...I forget. I should try it again "just cuz".

ohgod that list is awful.

Forsaken World: First of all, its made and run by Perfect World Entertainment. That's a red flag already, they're probably one of the most incompetent companies in F2P history. Except maybe Frogster. Anyway, its just really generic. It has really pretty graphics, but aside from that, that's really all it has. It's Perfect World with a darker tone to it. Also it's grindy, just like PW.

Allods. I think I dealt with that. Massive grind. Pay2win. All that good stuff.

Drakensang Online. This one isn't that bad. But it's a browser game and you can certainly feel it. The quality just isn't up to par. It's a diablo-style game and frankly you'd be better off just going and buying Diablo 2, or playing Path of Exile which is infinitely better and more interesting/unique.

League of Legends. Not an MMO, also Smite is superior to it in basically every way except LoL has more characters, but getting one is like pulling teeth unless you spend real money.

World of Tanks. A lobby MMO..not a true MMO. Fun as hell though. Can't knock this one. I was addicted till it stopped running on my machine for no reason.

I'd be more detailed but i'm just running out the door to work so, had to be brief.

Reactions: BortzANATOR

Niksy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually completely forgot about that game, heh.
Though its worth noting it came out 3 years after Maplestory, and I still find Maplestory trumps it by a large margin.
However if I recall it got a rather large update 3 months ago or something...I forget. I should try it again "just cuz".

ohgod that list is awful.

Forsaken World: First of all, its made and run by Perfect World Entertainment. That's a red flag already, they're probably one of the most incompetent companies in F2P history. Except maybe Frogster. Anyway, its just really generic. It has really pretty graphics, but aside from that, that's really all it has. It's Perfect World with a darker tone to it. Also it's grindy, just like PW.

Allods. I think I dealt with that. Massive grind. Pay2win. All that good stuff.

Drakensang Online. This one isn't that bad. But it's a browser game and you can certainly feel it. The quality just isn't up to par. It's a diablo-style game and frankly you'd be better off just going and buying Diablo 2, or playing Path of Exile which is infinitely better and more interesting/unique.

League of Legends. Not an MMO, also Smite is superior to it in basically every way except LoL has more characters, but getting one is like pulling teeth unless you spend real money.

World of Tanks. A lobby MMO..not a true MMO. Fun as hell though. Can't knock this one. I was addicted till it stopped running on my machine for no reason.

I'd be more detailed but i'm just running out the door to work so, had to be brief.

lol, no. Traditional MOBA games (LoL, DotA/2) are not going to be overtaken by some silly game like SMITE.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My recommendations are:
- Dragon Nest (Really fun and fast paced action-MMO, the only downside for some people being the instanced dungeons)
- Neverwinter (Action MMO, a bit slower paced than Dragon Nest, but it's rather fun. You don't even need to know a thing about Dungeons and Dragons in order to fully enjoy it)
- Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE (Not the best MMORPG out there, for sure, but worth a check, especially if you like the Megami Tensei franchise)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got to agree with Phantasy Star Online 2, it's pretty awesome. From what I played of it Tera seems cool too.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's very subjective and is impossible to answer.
However, I've heard good things about Guild Wars 2, might be worth trying.
I used to enjoy MapleStory a lot but it is really very, very repetitive and grindy with a ridiculous level cap. It was fun for a while though. You hardly get any experience from quests so in order to level up you'll be spending hours in the same spot hitting the attack key over and over and healing occasionally.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol, no. Traditional MOBA games (LoL, DotA/2) are not going to be overtaken by some silly game like SMITE.

The sad truth isn't it.
Kinda like how WoW just refuses to die despite being completely archaic and ready to.
Smite, or at least the style, is the way of the future. LoL and DOTA2 require very little skill.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
DOTA2 require very little skill.

no no no. if it was we wouldn't have too many complaints about noobs who little clue to how to play this game.
bad positioning, bad map awareness, bad judgments, bad timings, bad picks. some even think it's farmville or an rpg where they just farm and grind.

and btw, there was a reason why we dota players force that the genre is ARTS, because it's part real-time strategy not pure action.

it requires both fast reflexes and a lot of thinking.

edit: bad wording.

edit2: smite have a different combat system though which would differentiate it from dota/dota 2. it involves more skillshots and relies more on reflexes from what i've seen.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We're veering off-topic.

no no no. if it was we wouldn't have too many complaints about noobs who little clue to how to play this game.
bad positioning, bad map awareness, bad judgments, bad timings, bad picks. some even think it's farmville or an rpg where they just farm and grind.

and btw, there was a reason why we dota players force that the genre is ARTS, because it's part real-time strategy not pure action.

it requires both fast reflexes and a lot of thinking.

edit: bad wording.

edit2: smite have a different combat system though which would differentiate it from dota/dota 2. it involves more skillshots and relies more on reflexes from what i've seen.

Positioning, map awareness, judgement and picks are all strategy, not skill. I started playing LoL (because DOTA2 doesn't function at all on my PC) and I could FEEL that I was much, much better than my teammates or opponents. Though my team keeps feeding so damn much we tend to lose to a 6 level gap with their jungler =_=
But anyway, once you've got it you've got it. All those strategy elements are fairly easy to learn. What separates the kids from the big boys, is deploying your skills properly. Traditional MOBAs have a giant layer of simplicity drawn in. All I have to do for plenty of my skills is simply click my opponent and my autolock will shoot the skill wherever and hit them. Judging attack distance on the fly is, I find, also extremely easy in traditional MOBAs. Some skills obviously are aimed, but I found I was never missing with them at all as Ahri or Annie. It was nearly impossible.

I'm not saying LoL and DOTA require no skill. That'd be silly. But I am saying that thanks to Smite's combat system and hows it set up, there's a hell of a lot more player skill involved. You don't just need to learn those basics of strategy, but you also need to KNOW your skills more than you ever do for LoL or DOTA. I also like that you're stuck to your character, but that's just personal preference. It's too bad I can't play DOTA2, since i'd greatly prefer that. (to LoL, I mean)

It's very subjective and is impossible to answer.
However, I've heard good things about Guild Wars 2, might be worth trying.
I used to enjoy MapleStory a lot but it is really very, very repetitive and grindy with a ridiculous level cap. It was fun for a while though. You hardly get any experience from quests so in order to level up you'll be spending hours in the same spot hitting the attack key over and over and healing occasionally.

While still grindy, they've made levelling pretty easy. It only gets really grindy at around the 120 level point.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
We're veering off-topic.

Positioning, map awareness, judgement and picks are all strategy, not skill. I started playing LoL (because DOTA2 doesn't function at all on my PC) and I could FEEL that I was much, much better than my teammates or opponents. Though my team keeps feeding so damn much we tend to lose to a 6 level gap with their jungler =_=
But anyway, once you've got it you've got it. All those strategy elements are fairly easy to learn. What separates the kids from the big boys, is deploying your skills properly. Traditional MOBAs have a giant layer of simplicity drawn in. All I have to do for plenty of my skills is simply click my opponent and my autolock will shoot the skill wherever and hit them. Judging attack distance on the fly is, I find, also extremely easy in traditional MOBAs. Some skills obviously are aimed, but I found I was never missing with them at all as Ahri or Annie. It was nearly impossible.

I'm not saying LoL and DOTA require no skill. That'd be silly. But I am saying that thanks to Smite's combat system and hows it set up, there's a hell of a lot more player skill involved. You don't just need to learn those basics of strategy, but you also need to KNOW your skills more than you ever do for LoL or DOTA. I also like that you're stuck to your character, but that's just personal preference. It's too bad I can't play DOTA2, since i'd greatly prefer that. (to LoL, I mean)

While still grindy, they've made levelling pretty easy. It only gets really grindy at around the 120 level point.
120 is still far away from the level cap :P But maybe I should give it another try. I never got very high due to the amount of exp needed (and for some reason I took twice as long to level up as everyone else at my level)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.