Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's one last thing not on the noob guide that I still don't fully understand. How exactly do we go about installing cia to sysnand? From what I read in your other thread, you just use a different SD card that doesn't have an emunand partition on it, with the cia file and launcher.dat file. Boot up Gateway, but it will boot you to sysnand but you can still use the Gateway multi rom menu. Load up BigBlueMenu and you can install cia's.

Is this how it's done?

genericuser

Trophies
XP
Country
There's one last thing not on the noob guide that I still don't fully understand. How exactly do we go about installing cia to sysnand? From what I read in your other thread, you just use a different SD card that doesn't have an emunand partition on it, with the cia file and launcher.dat file. Boot up Gateway, but it will boot you to sysnand but you can still use the Gateway multi rom menu. Load up BigBlueMenu and you can install cia's.

Is this how it's done?

Yes. Or if you don't have a spare sd card, use the emunand tool to back it up, then a partition manager to delete the "unallocated space" partition.

Reactions: MattKimura

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trying to make sure I understand this... but games that came pre-loaded on systems can be used to create CIAs that will install (and run) on sysnand for any other system?

If so, what about consoles that game with a download code? Do those count as well?

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trying to make sure I understand this... but games that came pre-loaded on systems can be used to create CIAs that will install (and run) on sysnand for any other system?

If so, what about consoles that game with a download code? Do those count as well?

No, it has to be actually preloaded. These ones are special and have a global signing key, which eShop downloads (and thus codes) do not.

Reactions: Aroth

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried making a personal CIA of the "Mario & Luigi Dream Team" update and it failed to install in PBT. Even after re-linking to my eShop EmuNAND. I get an error every time. So, maybe it doesn't work for updates or something.

Yes. Or if you don't have a spare sd card, use the emunand tool to back it up, then a partition manager to delete the "unallocated space" partition.

Why over-complicate things? All you have to do is open the SD card in ANY decent hex editor as a "physical disk". Where it says "GATEWAYNAND" simply change the "G" to something else and save it. Now the launcher can't find EmuNAND. To re-enable EmuNAND, put the "G" back. Much easier.

I have the Sky3DS and Gateway of course, so, I can load Ninjhax directly as well (now that we have FBI). I still use the one byte trick half the time though.

If you've got no flash cart, you can use PBT as well. Then dump the NAND, inject to rxTools EmuNAND, update EmuNAND (since 5 of them won't play on 4.5). You can then get updates for them from the eShop as well.

Looks like rxTools 2.4 is out also, so, I guess you could do that in reverse as well. Start by getting the updates in EmuNAND, dump the ticket.db and inject it to SysNAND, install the games using PBT, then update SysNAND to 9.2 using a game or the Sky3DS (if you have that, you might as well use Ninjhax instead of PBT though). Or if you've got Gateway, ticket inject and proceed to install the games via the one byte trick. I would not recommend trying to update SysNAND using Ninjhax and FBI atm, unless you have a hard mod (in which case, please test it).

If you don't want them showing on SysNAND, or want to region change EmuNAND because Europe has more legit CIAs, use Palantine CFW instead, and make sure you unlink from it. 3ds-triplenand makes extracting a RedNAND then copying it back as EmuNAND relatively easy.

Since I think I'm the first to mention that, to avoid multiple questions later:

Code:
1.  Inject a 4.5 NAND dump as RedNAND ("3ds-triplenand -1 -cfw NAND.BIN").

2.  Install EUR 4.5.0-10 system CIAs obtained from 3DNUS in Palantine.

3.  Extract RedNAND and inject back as EmuNAND ("3ds-triplenand -1 -o EmuNAND.bin" then "3ds-triplenand -1 -i EmuNAND.bin").

4.  Run cearp's SecureInfo tool (this uses Launcher.dat, so, rename your existing one temporarily) and inject to EmuNAND.

5.  Extract EmuNAND and inject back as RedNAND ("3ds-triplenand -1 -o EmuNAND.bin" then "3ds-triplenand -1 -cfw EmuNAND.bin").

6.  Rename the "Nintendo 3DS" folder.

7.  Format system memory from within Palantine (this will kill your MSET exploit, twice actually).

8.  Delete the new "Nintendo 3DS" folder and rename the old one back.

9.  Install the legit CIAs in Palantine.

10.  Extract RedNAND and inject as EmuNAND (as above).

11.  Boot rxTools into rx mode and update.

12.  ??????

13.  Profit

Skip steps 2-8 if you're not region changing.

Note: if you use a public SecureInfo_A, don't expect to be able to access the eShop. It probably won't work. You can skip several steps if you have a Gateway (but Gateway's EmuNAND is region-patched, so there's not much of a reason to do this if you have one).

I'd say that just about covers every way to use the global legit CIAs.

Reactions: Rephain

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Or you can use a tool like FBI. It can install to whatever NAND is in use at the time. (if ran from emuNAND, that's the NAND is installs to. If sysNAND was used when launching FBI, that's the NAND it installs to)

installs to the nand that it is launched in... sure... nothing special there ha. just like devmenu! (or any other installer)
-- but fbi is nice because it is loadable from cn, and also it does not appear in your play logs. (and allows deletion of system titles)

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We just need to find a way to fakesign these.

This isn't trivial. The reason it worked with the Wii was because Nintendo was dumb and rolled their own security. It doesn't appear to be the case with the 3DS, and since it IS properly implemented this time, a fake sign is more or less impossible without someone managing to steal their signing tools and certificate.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
This isn't trivial. The reason it worked with the Wii was because Nintendo was dumb and rolled their own security. It doesn't appear to be the case with the 3DS, and since it IS properly implemented this time, a fake sign is more or less impossible without someone managing to steal their signing tools and certificate.

I know this, I am aware of how stupid the Wii's security implementation was. Just pass null. I never said it was easy on the 3DS, otherwise it would be done by now.

D

Deleted-19228

I know this, I am aware of how stupid the Wii's security implementation was. Just pass null. I never said it was easy on the 3DS, otherwise it would be done by now.

ff 01 matshita 02 00
ff 00 dvd-game 03 00

'nuff said

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would i be able to turn a 3DS cart game into a CIA? cause not all 3DS games are on the eshop channel

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
General .cia question. After you import a .cia, are you safe to delete the .cia from the micro SD (I have a N3DS XL)? I remember reading somewhere that you can but just wanted to make sure. Also, where is the .cia game stored at on the micro SD (just curious)? Would it be stored on the root, or will it be hidden (and the only way to uninstall is with the .cia program (BBM, etc)?

Thanks!

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
General .cia question. After you import a .cia, are you safe to delete the .cia from the micro SD (I have a N3DS XL)? I remember reading somewhere that you can but just wanted to make sure. Also, where is the .cia game stored at on the micro SD (just curious)? Would it be stored on the root, or will it be hidden (and the only way to uninstall is with the .cia program (BBM, etc)?

Thanks!

Yes you delete the . Cia post installation, i always do to free up space.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks!
You can delete the CIA files afterwards. Where the app goes depends on what it is. System apps/DSiware go to the NAND, games go to the SD card. They're installed like any other game and you can find them under your /Nintendo3DS/<id1>/<id2>/ folder. They're sorted into folders and subfolders that are named after the app's TitleID. To remove the games, use the settings app just like you would to delete any other game. Alternatively, you may use the CIA installer to remove them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: How Roms Try Helping?