Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

Rephain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you decrypt the contents and edit the game, make it region free, or translate the game it etc, and then re-encrypt, the signature will not be valid.
Only nintendo can create these signatures.

What is a universal/preinstalled legit CIA?
Preinstalled content is special, the signature generated by nintendo is for every console.
If I buy a game from eshop, I can make a legit cia, but it will not be 'universal', in sysnand, it would only work with my 3DS.
For the universal CIAs, they will work on sysnand for everyone. (naturally, region lock still exists)

If the signature generated by Nintendo is universal, do we have a way to decrypt and edit legit CIAs only (e.g. ORAS with pk3DS) and then reencrypt them in a way that would still read as legit? I'm interested in editing shop inventories for legit XY/ORAS installs that could run on updated sysNANDs.

Which I guess begs the question, is it possible to spoof these universal signatures for other games? For example, installing a non-legit CIA that has been modified to have the TMD/ticket of one of the legit ones.

I'm guessing neither is possible, that there are more signatures than we know of and that we can't encrypt legit CIAs. Just wondering if that is the case.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If the signature generated by Nintendo is universal, do we have a way to decrypt and edit legit CIAs only (e.g. ORAS with pk3DS) and then reencrypt them in a way that would still read as legit? I'm interested in editing shop inventories for legit XY/ORAS installs that could run on updated sysNANDs.
Which I guess begs the question, is it possible to spoof these universal signatures for other games? For example, installing a non-legit CIA that has been modified to have the TMD/ticket of one of the legit ones.
I'm guessing neither is possible, that there are more signatures than we know of and that we can't encrypt legit CIAs. Just wondering if that is the case.

the whole idea of the signature is that we cannot change the contents, nothing you say is possible :)

TheMaxynator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys! I've been searching around for some tutorials on this, but I can't seem to find any. I hope someone can help me :)

I want to know how to give/install any of my friends, who have a regular 9.7 old 3ds/3dsxl, a legit/universal cia.
I have a 3dsxl 4.5 sysNAND with a 9.7 Gateway emuNAND.

If anyone could help, I would really appriciate :) Thanks

EDIT: Am I missing something obvious here why this will never be possible or something?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! I've been searching around for some tutorials on this, but I can't seem to find any. I hope someone can help me :)

I want to know how to give/install any of my friends, who have a regular 9.7 old 3ds/3dsxl, a legit/universal cia.
I have a 3dsxl 4.5 sysNAND with a 9.7 Gateway emuNAND.

If anyone could help, I would really appriciate :) Thanks

EDIT: Am I missing something obvious here why this will never be possible or something?
In order to install the .cia, they would have to have an exploitable system in order to run DevMenu/BigBlueMenu. Since they are already on 9.7, they have no way to run an installer.

It should be possible at some point in the future, but a new exploit must be found first, and there is no way to tell when or if that will happen.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have not got banned yet for installing any CIA's. but still we will see what will happen.

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hi,

If I install a perfect/legit CIA game (with valide signature), will I be able to download the installed cia game again with eshop?

(If I remove the game, can I download it again with eshop? )

Thanks

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I have one question:

I have installed a couple of CIAs in Pasta CFW that arent the same region as my EU 3DS. Therefore they will only be seen for a half second and then disappear. How can I uninstall these CIAs so they wont bug my home screen anymore? =) Im using both FBI and BBM...

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
find the game in devmenu/fbi etc, and uninstall it... :)

Thanx!
That was embarrassing easy :D

Another N00b question:
If I have installed a game as a CIA. Can I remove the CIA file (and still be able to play the game) after the installation to save space on my mSD?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Thanx!
That was embarrassing easy :D

Another N00b question:
If I have installed a game as a CIA. Can I remove the CIA file (and still be able to play the game) after the installation to save space on my mSD?

sure, a cia is just the packed content... once installed you don't need it.

Reactions: SLiV3R

blackmans123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just another noob question.

Can I also get cia on a jap n3ds with 8.x?
Is there any difference between legal and pirated cia?
Is pirated cia only used for modded firmware and not the original?
Will installing a bad cia brick the 3ds?
Does CIA has dlc? If so if I get a pokemon rom online can I also get the CIA which contain the dlc?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
pokemon does not have dlc.
n3ds 8.x supports gw/pasta cfw, so sure you can install pirated cias
it is possible to 'brick' the 3ds with a bad cia, but if you are just installing games/dlc/updates you do not have to worry. it is only possible with some system stuff, and only if you do not know what you are doing. like if you install a newer system file on an old 3ds system, your 3ds would not be able to run that and it would be unusable.

"does cia have dlc?" cia is just eshop content packed into a file that you install...
dlc content has to be packed as a cia for it to be able to be installed.
pirated cias will not work without hacks... legit cias will. but you still need some hacks to be able to install the cia in the first place.

blackmans123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
pokemon does not have dlc.
n3ds 8.x supports gw/pasta cfw, so sure you can install pirated cias
it is possible to 'brick' the 3ds with a bad cia, but if you are just installing games/dlc/updates you do not have to worry. it is only possible with some system stuff, and only if you do not know what you are doing. like if you install a newer system file on an old 3ds system, your 3ds would not be able to run that and it would be unusable.

"does cia have dlc?" cia is just eshop content packed into a file that you install...
dlc content has to be packed as a cia for it to be able to be installed.
pirated cias will not work without hacks... legit cias will. but you still need some hacks to be able to install the cia in the first place.

So basically we need to make n3ds system to gw and emulate it to the latest firmware and we use those hack to install cia?
So even cia file has a allocated firmware attach to it? So we can only use those firmware or higher for it? Or is it universal?
The pokemon is just an example. So fantasy life has dlc, can I get the fantasy life dlc via cia? If so can I play online with that dlc installed?
If so, I just need to download fantasy life rom and it cia which contain the dlc?
Is those hack you are talking about is those 'Rt tool' which they are talking about in the 2nd page?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So basically we need to make n3ds system to gw and emulate it to the latest firmware and we use those hack to install cia?
So even cia file has a allocated firmware attach to it? So we can only use those firmware or higher for it? Or is it universal?
The pokemon is just an example. So fantasy life has dlc, can I get the fantasy life dlc via cia? If so can I play online with that dlc installed?
If so, I just need to download fantasy life rom and it cia which contain the dlc?
Is those hack you are talking about is those 'Rt tool' which they are talking about in the 2nd page?

do you have a gw card? and ocarina of time, -- or cubic ninja? if not, you cannot do any pirated stuff on your n3ds yet.

blackmans123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
do you have a gw card? and ocarina of time, -- or cubic ninja? if not, you cannot do any pirated stuff on your n3ds yet.

If gw, is gateway yes I have it the red one.
No I don't have ocarina of time or cubic ninja.
My n3ds is able to use and play the pirated rom using the ds profile way. The guy which I bought this from helped me to do till the current setting.
And I have not emulate it.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Appreciate if anyone can answer this question. Can I install a legit cia to an o3ds on 9.2? And it would be able to play all the legit games at the moment (including ssmb MH4 etc)?

Thanks for any help,

rr

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
My tool FunkyCIA lets you create CIAs from your eshop content.
You can make 'warez' CIAs, for sharing etc.
You can make personal legit CIAs, that will work on sysnand, but ONLY on your console. -- keep in mind at the moment we CAN ONLY INSTALL THESE WITH PBT cfw. This is because PBT patches more checks than GW. capito27 - thanks :)
You can make universal legit cias that work on sysnand for everyone (only from preinstalled content)

But where is the link?

Reactions: genericuser

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
Appreciate if anyone can answer this question. Can I install a legit cia to an o3ds on 9.2? And it would be able to play all the legit games at the moment (including ssmb MH4 etc)?

Thanks for any help,

rr

If you're on 9.2, you can install Pasta CFW, you just need Cubic Ninja/A flashcart + Cubic Ninja ROM.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're on 9.2, you can install Pasta CFW, you just need Cubic Ninja/A flashcart + Cubic Ninja ROM.
Thanks for answering! I have a gateway and I would be doing this for a friend with an O3ds on 9.2 (I have an 03ds 4.5 and 9.7 emunand). I just wanted to make sure that all I have to do is use the browser exploit on her 3ds (it doesn't have emunand), install the legit cias with BBM and then they should show up in sysnand? Is that right?

cheers,

rr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1