ROM Hack Pokemon Randomizer ZX causing Arm11 Crash Dump

AriaNights

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For context, I'm currently attempting to perform a Pokemon Sun randomizer. I've been doing this using the aforementioned Pokemon Randomizer ZX, making a LayeredFS format patch using it to use with Luma3DS' innate game patching feature.

Currently, I've attempted the following:
  • (First attempt, using the custom Luma variant used before 13.0 that was compatible with bootntr) Downloaded the .cia of Pokemon Sun off hShop (unsurprisingly failed due to being a 'legit' cia)
  • (Attempt #2, same luma version) Used a different .cia of Pokemon Sun, installed & successfully obtained a .cxi of the file and imported it to the randomizer tool, and successfully made a LayeredFS file. However, upon trying to load Pokemon Sun with this intact, the game crashed due to an Arm11 crash code (described below).
  • (Attempt #3, using newest Luma) Repeated the same steps, but the same error occurred.
  • (Attempt #4) Started a new game first without the patch, and then once the ability to save was handed over (the second the player wakes up), closed and rebooted the 3ds - turned on game patching as normal. The game immediately crashed again with the same Arm11 dump error.
The dump is as follows:

Code:
Processor: Arm11 (core 0)
Exception type: data abort
Fault status: Permission - Page
Current process: niji_loc (0004000000164800)

(Followed by a series of values). Access Type was 'write'.

It's worth noting that other game patches I've been using so far have been working, so I don't entirely believe the problem is with Luma -- however, since I'm admittedly a bit unfamiliar with this sort of thing, I may be making simple mistakes.

Any help would be much appreciated -- or if this isn't the right place, just give me a pointer on where to go with it. Thank you in advance.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The app you last opened has an issue of some kind. To fix, disable all game mods, cheat codes, and plugins to ensure they are not the cause. If the error still happens, ensure the game is the same region as the console - if it is not, force the game to use the correct region. If the error yet still happens, then the game itself is likely faulty. If it is a cartridge dump, redump it. If it is an eShop game, click the Repair button at the bottom of its eShop page or delete and reinstall it. If it is a cartridge, clean the cartridge and the 3DS cartridge reader with isopropyl alcohol.

Copied from https://wiki.hacks.guide/wiki/3DS:Error_screens/Luma3DS_exception_screen#Arm11-0
so yeah, it's your mod's fault.

AriaNights

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The app you last opened has an issue of some kind. To fix, disable all game mods, cheat codes, and plugins to ensure they are not the cause. If the error still happens, ensure the game is the same region as the console - if it is not, force the game to use the correct region. If the error yet still happens, then the game itself is likely faulty. If it is a cartridge dump, redump it. If it is an eShop game, click the Repair button at the bottom of its eShop page or delete and reinstall it. If it is a cartridge, clean the cartridge and the 3DS cartridge reader with isopropyl alcohol.

Copied from https://wiki.hacks.guide/wiki/3DS:Error_screens/Luma3DS_exception_screen#Arm11-0
so yeah, it's your mod's fault.
Having done these steps, the game itself is completely fine -- at least from my cursory attempt to load it normally, it's been functioning properly, so my guess is the mod caused it. Thank you for sending this my way!

In that case, while I am definitely quite confused as to why it's breaking this much, I figure I'll have to use a different tool than this to make the randomized ROM (since it's absolutely the LayeredFS mod that's doing this). Are there any other randomization tools that can make a LayeredFS mod that we are aware of here, or will I have to settle for something else?

Thanks a fortune for the reply -- I'll keep looking at the tool I used to try and figure out just what the hell happened.

**In the meantime, I will also be attempting a region fix as well, just for the sake of it. Maybe the randomizer just needs its region set, who knows lol.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having done these steps, the game itself is completely fine -- at least from my cursory attempt to load it normally, it's been functioning properly, so my guess is the mod caused it. Thank you for sending this my way!

In that case, while I am definitely quite confused as to why it's breaking this much, I figure I'll have to use a different tool than this to make the randomized ROM (since it's absolutely the LayeredFS mod that's doing this). Are there any other randomization tools that can make a LayeredFS mod that we are aware of here, or will I have to settle for something else?

Thanks a fortune for the reply -- I'll keep looking at the tool I used to try and figure out just what the hell happened.
I'm not in the randomizer scene, it's just most of the time people get errors and don't check the wiki for Luma3DS errors.

AriaNights

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not in the randomizer scene, it's just most of the time people get errors and don't check the wiki for Luma3DS errors.
Fair enough! No worries there, that's on me for forgetting to check lol

As an update (unsurprisingly) forcing locale didn't work -- so I'll be using a different tool from hereon out. Thank you for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto