Hacking What if 5.5.2 is a Bomb...???

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The text is already in the 3DS error descriptions afaik (since years)

Don't worry, to reduce the disk costs of Miiverse they just let the badmins free to delete stuff for arbitrary reasons
hmm, well, if they do anounce the death of miiverse, do ya think we should all go buck wild posting whatever in there of random pictures that definitely shouldn't be in miiverse?

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
So they should let users pirate their games without doing anything about it? You do know how business works right?
No... I'm referring to access to homebrew, not to piracy. And I'm talking about malicious things like bricking users, not patching exploits.

Nintendo going out of their way to brick people who edited an XML file on their console (for what's basically an undocumented feature (running a different title on boot)) would be an interesting legal case.

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
No... I'm referring to access to homebrew, not to piracy. And I'm talking about malicious things like bricking users, not patching exploits.

Nintendo going out of their way to brick people who edited an XML file on their console (for what's basically an undocumented feature (running a different title on boot)) would be an interesting legal case.

Hmm

"users who are trying to do what they want with the hardware they purchased"

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm

"users who are trying to do what they want with the hardware they purchased"
Yes, and I WANT to run homebrew. In my quote you're trying to find a narrative that isn't there. Developing and running homebrew applications is not illegal, and Nintendo bricking users who utilize them would not look good.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, and I WANT to run homebrew. In my quote you're trying to find a narrative that isn't there. Developing and running homebrew applications is not illegal, and Nintendo bricking users who utilize them would not look good.

I'm not arguing about Nintendo bricking/whatever, or the fact YOU want to use it for "homebrew" the fact is that "people should be able to do what they want with the hardware they've bought". Which for many includes piracy, so no people shouldn't be allowed to do anything they want.

Last edited by fowler002,

BoxNinPlay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of felt the same way about the update (not a literal bomb, but a "trojan horse" type of update that looks safe then activates), but that would be such an awful PR move for Nintendo. On top of that, it might open the way for legislation that requires them to allow homebrew on game consoles if they are actively being malicious towards users who are trying to do what they want with the hardware they purchased. (Or at least legislation that prevents forced updates and no downgrades). I think these are all gray areas right now that Nintendo would rather not poke.
You got my point, that is what I wanted to express, not a fisical o literal Bomb, just a trojan or something like that...!!!!

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not arguing about Nintendo bricking/whatever, or the fact YOU want to use it for "homebrew" the fact is that "people should be able to do what they want with the hardware they've bought". Which for many includes piracy, so no people shouldn't be allowed to do anything they want.
Well, being allowed to do what you want with the hardware you bought is not piracy;
It becomes piracy when the user does something illegal like downloading copyrighted materials/dumping copyrighted materials/...

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, being allowed to do what you want with the hardware you bought is not piracy;
It becomes piracy when the user does something illegal like downloading copyrighted materials/dumping copyrighted materials/...
dumping them, I get download of copyrighted stuff is illegal but how is dumping the game I own and making/using backups illegal, I thought it was legal to make backups

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dumping them, I get download of copyrighted stuff is illegal but how is dumping the game I own and making/using backups illegal, I thought it was legal to make backups
iirc in some regions it's illegal to circumvent copy protection
In the others it could be legal though, yeah

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country

Can you read? Where did I say it was piracy? I said it INCLUDES piracy, seriously people need to learn to read what's actually written not what they think is written.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If I remember correct, the DMCA killed that for you Americans. But what Police force would care if someone backups their own games?

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
isn't patching exploits just that?

Difference is, patching an exploit is removing functionality that they never advertised or intended. Morally questionable, but legally sound as far as I know.
Bricking consoles is disabling all functionality, including that which was advertised to the users. That seems to me like might open to door to legal issues...

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Difference is, patching an exploit is removing functionality that they never advertised or intended. Morally questionable, but legally sound as far as I know.
Bricking consoles is disabling all functionality, including that which was advertised to the users. That seems to me like might open to door to legal issues...

Why is patching out something that enables piracy morally questionable? Nintendo(and any company) is well with their rights morally and legally to do this.

I doubt they will be bricking the consoles, the people suggesting Nintendo will brick modded consoles need to get rid of their tin foil hats.

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is patching out something that enables piracy morally questionable? Nintendo(and any company) is well with their rights morally and legally to do this.

Because it's still disabling functionality, intended by the manufacturer or not. I don't think I suggested they weren't within their rights, just that I found it morally questionable. If something you own used to do an extra thing and then the manufacturer deliberately removes that ability I find it morally questionable. You don't and that's ok, we all have slightly different moral codes.

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi everyone, it is well known by all of us that 5.5.2 is a reality, there are different opinions about it, about whether or not I should update, the obvious is that peoples ask that question because they expect others to test before they do, the most persistent response is that indee it can be upgraded since everything still be working well, with the exeption of BrowserHax since this one was patched, but if you have CBHC or HaxChi, Mocha it still work just fine in this new version, according to some users who report that they have done the test and work fine, but I wonder if that is true, what if this new version 5.5.2 is a bomb and after all we have updated, the clock stops and explodes causing irreparable damage to everything we have done until today in our Wii U ???, mmm ... I'll leave my Wii U disconnected from the Internet for a while until I see how this story ends.

In the video below I explain my idea a little bit more but is in spanish, sorry ...!!!

Of course is not a bomb :/
Y soy sub

iwantromslol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will modded consoles get bricked? No. That's a horrible business practice.
This update probably took Nintendo 20 minutes tops to code and it patches a huge vulnerability in the system that allows people to pirate and play hundreds of dollars of games for free. Imagine if you owned Nintendo, you'd probably follow suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start logging modded consoles this patch though. What they do with them I have no idea, ban them? Not sure. It's not like unbanning a Wii U is exactly hard.

Someone will find a way to exploit the browser rootkit in 5.5.2 and we'll be back to where we started, it's inevitable. The browser is coded pretty terribly, but there's also other ways to potential exploit. Time will tell!

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Because it's still disabling functionality, intended by the manufacturer or not. I don't think I suggested they weren't within their rights, just that I found it morally questionable. If something you own used to do an extra thing and then the manufacturer deliberately removes that ability I find it morally questionable. You don't and that's ok, we all have slightly different moral codes.

It's a functionality that was NEVER intended to be there in the first place, it's a FLAW.
If they removed the browser then you would have a point, but they didn't so you don't.

Vampir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I think that the new Trump anti-terrorist law allows Nintendo to kill anyone that is using pirated games. So turning Wii U into a bomb is possible.

Last edited by Vampir,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton