Tutorial  Updated

What I Believe Is The Best Downgrade Process Right Now

This is thanks to u/perkel

After Many tries and hours I found this users steps and followed them to success (n3ds). I got through the downgrade process and it automatically rebooted without any problems (no black screen or having to remove the sd).

Here's Perkels solution, and I quote:

"- formated my n3ds (had 10.1, updated to 10.3 then format)
- formated SD (32gb kingstone class10) with SD formater (format overwrite + formatsize adjustements)
- downloaded 9.2-20E firmware for N3DS
- checked md5 of above firmware via this site
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e?
- downloaded this systemupdater which julian posted (SULib one) MIRROR

thread where given (if curious):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/sysupdater-zip.34449/

- downloaded starter kit for homebrew (from smealum site)
- installed TeraCopy to ensure nothing will be damaged via copy/paste on SD card

- put SD to pc
- copy everything lower via teracopy program! (it will show your option when you do it just via copy/paste like normally you do after you install that program)
- copy starter kit folder content to sd card
- copy sysupdater to 3ds folder in your SD card
- copy updates folder to your SD card once you unpacked your downloaded and checked via md5 sum FW
- get your SD card to your 3DS and set up your 3DS (date, time etc.)
- change your theme to something else and back to default (to ensure menuhax will work)
- do browserhax (scan QR code [L+R and then that left sticker] from this site)
- you should go into HomeBrew thanks to above
- choose menuhax manager and install menuhax
- restart your 3DS and hold L to go into homebrewlauncher directly

Once above is done you have properly installed homebrew on 10.3 and it is confirmed that all files are 100% safe to use (that FW you downloaded) and nothing weird should go wrong (it still has that chance though)

Once above was done i started sysupdater from homebrewlauncher.
Since memchunx doesn't work most of the time i had to try 7-10 times before i got #8 success and sysupdater menu.

Then i pressed Y, nothing happened for 3-5 seconds
Then cheking CIA files... or whatever that was for 10-30 seconds
Then it started to install CIA files
Then it got to autorestart in 10 seconds
Autorestarted (NO CRASH)
Booted into 9.2 system without problem perfectly (without taking out SD card)

In other words perfectly updated without single crash (aside from getting into sysupdate menu)

I give my humble thanks to whoever worked on memchunks, julian for this fantastic build and ton of other people that showed me way to ensure everything will work correctly (like teracopy, md5 etc).

Now i have 9.2 and i am wondering what should i do :) Good thing to wonder about :)"

Happy Downgrading!

Last edited by Dribblejam,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
@Shadowfied Downgraded! 9.8.0-30E (with Nver updated) to 9.2.0-20E.
I just follow the steps of this thread (Format included but not updated to 10.3) and use safesysupdater 0.8 for downgrade.
Downloaded the 9.2 Eur files from that iso site.
Checks if everything (md5) is ok.
Downgraded (Need to force shutdown after 120 seconds without automatic reboot) - Black Screen - remove sd - booted on 9.2 i can access system settings and browser.
Now i'm going to check with the downgrade checker.
Thanks for all.
Awesome! :D Congratz :D
Let me know if you have any issues or questions etc

Reactions: ShiroKyouma

ShiroKyouma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome! :D Congratz :D
Let me know if you have any issues or questions etc
Ok first question xD, what is the best tutorial can i follow now for settiing up emunand and cfw? (the only i wanted is play original games on emunand and decrypt games, install homebrew launcher as cia maybe.)

Last edited by ShiroKyouma,

Daidouji

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok first question xD, what is the best tutorial can i follow now for settiing up emunand and cfw? (the only i wanted is play original games on emunand and decrypt games, install homebrew launcher

I also used the one that Daidouji linked, however It doesn't touch multiemunand if that floats your boat. I'm still looking for a guide to change emunand region without gateway or I can just try to inject the file, what's the worst that can happen? :P

Edit: sorry I just kept typing one of my many downfalls I talk to much, just ignore it and good luck with your cfw path.

Last edited by lonewolf08,

ShiroKyouma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After all, n3ds with sysnand 9.2, emunand 10.5, cfw reinand. All works perfect.
Seriously, thanks.

PD: Can i get banned for accesing eshop in 10.5 emunand?

oFire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, thanks.

No, for all intents and purposes Nintendo will see your 3ds as a legit 10.5 version just browsing the eshop, there is no way they can detect the difference between sysnand and emunand versions as far as I can tell.

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, thanks.

not until they start adding more checks, in fact I'm surprised they're not just scanning the cia installed while on eshop and have a blacklist.

Last edited by lonewolf08,

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, Im trying to downgrade 9.8 but my screen gets stuck on red when trying to load menuhax. I have seen the menuhax version but it won't move from the red screen. What can I try?

EDIT: Forgot about changing theme, tried it now and still got stuck on red screen.
I'm on 9.8 E FW and have not tried to update to 10.3

EDIT2: Ok I managed to start HBL and installed menuhax. Now I tried to start sysupdater from homebrewlauncher. nvm, pressed Y and nothing happens.

Last edited by Bullseye,

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Im trying to downgrade 9.8 but my screen gets stuck on red when trying to load menuhax. I have seen the menuhax version but it won't move from the red screen. What can I try?

EDIT: Forgot about changing theme, tried it now and still got stuck on red screen.
I'm on 9.8 E FW and have not tried to update to 10.3

EDIT2: Ok I managed to start HBL and installed menuhax. Now I tried to start sysupdater from homebrewlauncher. nvm, pressed Y and nothing happens.
try uninstalling menuhax, and use Browserhax as your exploit. worked for me

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
I repeated all the process from scratch and managed to open sysupdater on first try. But when I press Y nothing happens. No text starts nor anything. It just stays stuck at the update, downgrade, exit screen.

EDIT: I also have the "update" folder in my SD root containing 9.2 fw, but when I'm pressing Y it is for downgrading.What happens if I press A instead of Y?
I managed to get to same screen only using browserhax but it is still stuck at same screen.
I'm on N3DS 9.8.0.-25E fw

EDIT2: Is there an issue of using safesysupdater? I have been recommended not to use it, but others have used it with good results.

try uninstalling menuhax, and use Browserhax as your exploit. worked for me

Last edited by Bullseye,
Reactions: Ricken

Ricken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I repeated all the process from scratch and managed to open sysupdater on first try. But when I press Y nothing happens. No text starts nor anything. It just stays stuck at the update, downgrade, exit screen.

EDIT: I also have the "update" folder in my SD root containing 9.2 fw, but when I'm pressing Y it is for downgrading.What happens if I press A instead of Y?
I managed to get to same screen only using browserhax but it is still stuck at same screen.
I'm on N3DS 9.8.0.-25E fw

EDIT2: Is there an issue of using safesysupdater? I have been recommended not to use it, but others have used it with good results.
Safesysupdater is best for only checking checksums, as that only checks update files, but safesysupdater does NATIVE_FIRM much sooner than Sysupdater... and the sooner NATIVE_FIRM is done, the more likely there will be a brick (its like NATIVE_FIRM is windows and all the others are .dlls that only work on a specific version)

i'd check your checksums with SafeSysUpdater and then downgrade with SysUpdater

took me like 50 tries with SysUpdater... fails often due to Memchunkhax' instability

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply. But damn it, I used safesysupdater follwing Aidanlumias tutorial and when things seemed fine in the downgrade process I got an error screen and I had to shut down console. When I opened it both screens were black. I removed the microSD i was using and inserted the original one. Now console starts up but when i go into system settings screen gets stuck at loading screen. What kind of birck is that and how can I fix it?

Safesysupdater is best for only checking checksums, as that only checks update files, but safesysupdater does NATIVE_FIRM much sooner than Sysupdater... and the sooner NATIVE_FIRM is done, the more likely there will be a brick (its like NATIVE_FIRM is windows and all the others are .dlls that only work on a specific version)

i'd check your checksums with SafeSysUpdater and then downgrade with SysUpdater

took me like 50 tries with SysUpdater... fails often due to Memchunkhax' instability

Last edited by Bullseye,

Ricken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. But damn it, I used safesysupdater follwing Aidanlumias tutorial and when things seemed fine in the downgrade process I got an error screen and I had to shut down console. When I opened it both screens were black. I removed the microSD i was using and inserted the original one. Now console starts up but when i go into system settings screen gets stuck at loading screen. What kind of birck is that and how can I fix it?
its a FrankenFW... and to fix it you have to try again, but you'll need a cartridge exploit... cheaper than repairing it i guess (Approx. $80 for Cubic Ninja/Physical OOT+Powersaves... better than repairing since you wont need a hardmod to downgrade)

EDIT: Or if you're lucky and Browserhax works then you could try again from there. just put boot.3dsx, SafeSysUpdater, and SysUpdater on your SD before you try

Last edited by Ricken,

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Shit... I do have the original game OoT. What happens if I were to take it back to the store and tell them console doesn't work?

its a FrankenFW... and to fix it you have to try again, but you'll need a cartridge exploit... cheaper than repairing it i guess (Approx. $80 for Cubic Ninja/Physical OOT+Powersaves... better than repairing since you wont need a hardmod to downgrade)

Ricken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit... I do have the original game OoT. What happens if I were to take it back to the store and tell them console doesn't work?
that would likely get you nowhere cause of the recent downgrade trend... try Browserhax and see if that works. if not, then i HIGHLY advise saving up/going out and either hoping a place nearby has a Cubic Ninja, or just buying OoT3D and Powersaves3DS.

Reactions: Bullseye

mgmckee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi im on 9.9 on a o3ds and dont have any hax installed and just wondered would this work? or whats my best option? thanks in advance

traneupcqk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I'm downgrading my N3DS (Japan) from 9.9 to 9.2
But sysUpdater keeps falling checking update integrity at 0004001000020900.cia (using safeSysUpdater)
Please help. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work