Tutorial  Updated

What I Believe Is The Best Downgrade Process Right Now

This is thanks to u/perkel

After Many tries and hours I found this users steps and followed them to success (n3ds). I got through the downgrade process and it automatically rebooted without any problems (no black screen or having to remove the sd).

Here's Perkels solution, and I quote:

"- formated my n3ds (had 10.1, updated to 10.3 then format)
- formated SD (32gb kingstone class10) with SD formater (format overwrite + formatsize adjustements)
- downloaded 9.2-20E firmware for N3DS
- checked md5 of above firmware via this site
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e?
- downloaded this systemupdater which julian posted (SULib one) MIRROR

thread where given (if curious):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/sysupdater-zip.34449/

- downloaded starter kit for homebrew (from smealum site)
- installed TeraCopy to ensure nothing will be damaged via copy/paste on SD card

- put SD to pc
- copy everything lower via teracopy program! (it will show your option when you do it just via copy/paste like normally you do after you install that program)
- copy starter kit folder content to sd card
- copy sysupdater to 3ds folder in your SD card
- copy updates folder to your SD card once you unpacked your downloaded and checked via md5 sum FW
- get your SD card to your 3DS and set up your 3DS (date, time etc.)
- change your theme to something else and back to default (to ensure menuhax will work)
- do browserhax (scan QR code [L+R and then that left sticker] from this site)
- you should go into HomeBrew thanks to above
- choose menuhax manager and install menuhax
- restart your 3DS and hold L to go into homebrewlauncher directly

Once above is done you have properly installed homebrew on 10.3 and it is confirmed that all files are 100% safe to use (that FW you downloaded) and nothing weird should go wrong (it still has that chance though)

Once above was done i started sysupdater from homebrewlauncher.
Since memchunx doesn't work most of the time i had to try 7-10 times before i got #8 success and sysupdater menu.

Then i pressed Y, nothing happened for 3-5 seconds
Then cheking CIA files... or whatever that was for 10-30 seconds
Then it started to install CIA files
Then it got to autorestart in 10 seconds
Autorestarted (NO CRASH)
Booted into 9.2 system without problem perfectly (without taking out SD card)

In other words perfectly updated without single crash (aside from getting into sysupdate menu)

I give my humble thanks to whoever worked on memchunks, julian for this fantastic build and ton of other people that showed me way to ensure everything will work correctly (like teracopy, md5 etc).

Now i have 9.2 and i am wondering what should i do :) Good thing to wonder about :)"

Happy Downgrading!

Last edited by Dribblejam,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
is this still the best way to downgrade? If i format my n3ds will i lose my pokebank pokemon?
The downgrade itself doesn't change any data at all. When you make your EmuNAND later on is when you're dealing with data. You shouldn't lose anything unless you mess up. Also, aren't the Pokébank pokémon online?
I'd just follow this guide, but absolutely use SafeSysUpdater instead.

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The downgrade itself doesn't change any data at all. When you make your EmuNAND later on is when you're dealing with data. You shouldn't lose anything unless you mess up. Also, aren't the Pokébank pokémon online?
I'd just follow this guide, but absolutely use SafeSysUpdater instead.

well i was asking because in ops tutorial it was stated that formatting the 3ds would be best or at least it was inferred. to my knowledge formatting the system will cause to lose all data and i'm afraid of losing my Pokemon and i have read comments stating that not formatting the system caused it to soft brick.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
well i was asking because in ops tutorial it was stated that formatting the 3ds would be best or at least it was inferred. to my knowledge formatting the system will cause to lose all data and i'm afraid of losing my Pokemon and i have read comments stating that not formatting the system caused it to soft brick.
Oh, well that's just a safe precaution. Personally I have't really heard any concrete proof that formatting the system before downgrading would help in any way, and I didn't format any of the 6 systems I downgraded (some were 9.9, 9.6, 10.1 etc) and had no issues.

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, well that's just a safe precaution. Personally I have't really heard any concrete proof that formatting the system before downgrading would help in any way, and I didn't format any of the 6 systems I downgraded (some were 9.9, 9.6, 10.1 etc) and had no issues.

alright thank you, normally I just lurk the forums but this is my first i have seen a forum that is so divided on what works best so i figured i would ask.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
alright thank you, normally I just lurk the forums but this is my first i have seen a forum that is so divided on what works best so i figured i would ask.
Good idea to ask, although, the ideas of downgrading are mostly the same, just some people say it's better to format your system first, and hey, maybe it is. We can't say for sure, especially when the amount of actual bricks are so absurdly low it's hard to compile any worthy statistics.

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good idea to ask, although, the ideas of downgrading are mostly the same, just some people say it's better to format your system first, and hey, maybe it is. We can't say for sure, especially when the amount of actual bricks are so absurdly low it's hard to compile any worthy statistics.

fair, ok thank you for the help, i shall attempt it tomorrow.

Spankpanky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok im on old 3ds 10.3

should i use safesysupdater
or sysupdater

1a. If I format my 3ds before downgrading, will I have to install *hax again?
1b. Should the microSd card be in the system when I format it?
2. Should my NNID be linked before downgrading?

i downloaded he 9.2 cia for europe my region

thanks in advance everyone

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
ok im on old 3ds 10.3

should i use safesysupdater
or sysupdater

1a. If I format my 3ds before downgrading, will I have to install *hax again?
1b. Should the microSd card be in the system when I format it?
2. Should my NNID be linked before downgrading?

i downloaded he 9.2 cia for europe my region

thanks in advance everyone
You should use SafeSysUpdater.

If you don't have anything precious on your system, you might as well just format it, and if you have nothing precious on the SD, leave the SD in while formatting. You will have to reinstall *hax regardless.
If you do format, your NNID will be unlinked, leave it unlinked and link when your EmuNAND is set up later.

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used safesysupdater (with Ironhax), it worked at second try with my New 3ds XL -10.3 with all my stuff and the downgrade process went fine.

If i got a black screen after pressing y it just mean it froze right? so i should just restart the 3ds and try again i assume. I tried it with oot3dshax i guess ill try with ironhax

EDIT: using ironhax worked for me, it didn't reboot itself though.

Last edited by lonewolf08,

lonewolf08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here, It didn't reboot but all the process went fine, so I manually reboot and done.

yea, i figured things went ok but i was still a little afraid i still remember the old days on the psp with the first downgrade. I'm now all set up with reinand and enjoying the best of both worlds and i can finally redeem my mew code. =)

ShiroKyouma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a few questions before trying anything.

What systemupdater should i use?

-The system updater of the first page of this thread (the one which uses SUlib i guess).
-The julian20's libkhax systemupdater
-The safesystem updater from cpasjuste.

and...

Should i stay on 9.8.0-30E (and format)? (originally has 9.8.0-25E but i changed de NVer for access the eshop) or is it better update to 10.3 and then format?

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a few questions before trying anything.

What systemupdater should i use?

-The system updater of the first page of this thread (the one which uses SUlib i guess).
-The julian20's libkhax systemupdater
-The safesystem updater from cpasjuste.

and...

Should i stay on 9.8.0-30E (and format)? (originally has 9.8.0-25E but i changed de NVer for access the eshop) or is it better update to 10.3 and then format?
I'd just use SafeSysUpdater. At least use it to check your files, then if it gives you the green, you can quit it and go with julians.

I'd stay on 9.8. AFAIK there's no concrete proof that 9.x would be less successful than <=10.3. I've downgraded many systems on varying versions. I didn't even bother formatting my systems. I wanted my old stuff to carry over, and it did perfectly. If you have nothing precious on your system though, then I suppose a format is a good idea, and it unlinks your NNID so you can easily re-link it in EmuNAND later.

Reactions: ShiroKyouma

ShiroKyouma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd just use SafeSysUpdater. At least use it to check your files, then if it gives you the green, you can quit it and go with julians.

I'd stay on 9.8. AFAIK there's no concrete proof that 9.x would be less successful than <=10.3. I've downgraded many systems on varying versions. I didn't even bother formatting my systems. I wanted my old stuff to carry over, and it did perfectly. If you have nothing precious on your system though, then I suppose a format is a good idea, and it unlinks your NNID so you can easily re-link it in EmuNAND later.
Thanks for your answer.
So i format (in 9.8) and then give it a try with the safesystem updater. (but not today)

Btw, i updated the nver, will this cause problems with the downgrade?

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your answer.
So i format (in 9.8) and then give it a try with the safesystem updater. (but not today)

Btw, i updated the nver, will this cause problems with the downgrade?
Sounds good! Make sure to let us know how it goes.

Not sure actually. You should get an answer to that before you try it though. Maybe post in the noob paradise if you want a quick reply.

ShiroKyouma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Shadowfied Downgraded! 9.8.0-30E (with Nver updated) to 9.2.0-20E.
I just follow the steps of this thread (Format included but not updated to 10.3) and use safesysupdater 0.8 for downgrade.
Downloaded the 9.2 Eur files from that iso site.
Checks if everything (md5) is ok.
Downgraded (Need to force shutdown after 120 seconds without automatic reboot) - Black Screen - remove sd - booted on 9.2 i can access system settings and browser.
Now i'm going to check with the downgrade checker.
Thanks for all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.