Tutorial  Updated

What I Believe Is The Best Downgrade Process Right Now

This is thanks to u/perkel

After Many tries and hours I found this users steps and followed them to success (n3ds). I got through the downgrade process and it automatically rebooted without any problems (no black screen or having to remove the sd).

Here's Perkels solution, and I quote:

"- formated my n3ds (had 10.1, updated to 10.3 then format)
- formated SD (32gb kingstone class10) with SD formater (format overwrite + formatsize adjustements)
- downloaded 9.2-20E firmware for N3DS
- checked md5 of above firmware via this site
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e?
- downloaded this systemupdater which julian posted (SULib one) MIRROR

thread where given (if curious):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/sysupdater-zip.34449/

- downloaded starter kit for homebrew (from smealum site)
- installed TeraCopy to ensure nothing will be damaged via copy/paste on SD card

- put SD to pc
- copy everything lower via teracopy program! (it will show your option when you do it just via copy/paste like normally you do after you install that program)
- copy starter kit folder content to sd card
- copy sysupdater to 3ds folder in your SD card
- copy updates folder to your SD card once you unpacked your downloaded and checked via md5 sum FW
- get your SD card to your 3DS and set up your 3DS (date, time etc.)
- change your theme to something else and back to default (to ensure menuhax will work)
- do browserhax (scan QR code [L+R and then that left sticker] from this site)
- you should go into HomeBrew thanks to above
- choose menuhax manager and install menuhax
- restart your 3DS and hold L to go into homebrewlauncher directly

Once above is done you have properly installed homebrew on 10.3 and it is confirmed that all files are 100% safe to use (that FW you downloaded) and nothing weird should go wrong (it still has that chance though)

Once above was done i started sysupdater from homebrewlauncher.
Since memchunx doesn't work most of the time i had to try 7-10 times before i got #8 success and sysupdater menu.

Then i pressed Y, nothing happened for 3-5 seconds
Then cheking CIA files... or whatever that was for 10-30 seconds
Then it started to install CIA files
Then it got to autorestart in 10 seconds
Autorestarted (NO CRASH)
Booted into 9.2 system without problem perfectly (without taking out SD card)

In other words perfectly updated without single crash (aside from getting into sysupdate menu)

I give my humble thanks to whoever worked on memchunks, julian for this fantastic build and ton of other people that showed me way to ensure everything will work correctly (like teracopy, md5 etc).

Now i have 9.2 and i am wondering what should i do :) Good thing to wonder about :)"

Happy Downgrading!

Last edited by Dribblejam,

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so this really weird thing happened when I tried to downgrade. I softbricked, as usual, but if I turn on the 3ds and turn it off again before I get the "an error has occurred" message, I hear the noise you hear when it's talking to you about themes. Of course, since I pressed the power button, it turns off shortly after. Does this mean I've installed 9.2 correctly, but there's something stopping me from accessing it? BTW, I've formatted my SD card (but I'm not willing to format my 3ds)

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK, so this really weird thing happened when I tried to downgrade. I softbricked, as usual, but if I turn on the 3ds and turn it off again before I get the "an error has occurred" message, I hear the noise you hear when it's talking to you about themes. Of course, since I pressed the power button, it turns off shortly after. Does this mean I've installed 9.2 correctly, but there's something stopping me from accessing it? BTW, I've formatted my SD card (but I'm not willing to format my 3ds)
Take out the SD card, then turn the 3DS on, put the SD back, and change the theme to default.

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
It was the same for me yesterday, just remove the SD card and it should boot normally.
I thought that only worked if it was a successful downgrade? I'll try it anyway, currently downgrading again.

EDIT: can confirm removing the SD card doesn't fix my softbrick. Oh well.

Last edited by seb5049,

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
Tell me your console version (fw and region) and filename and md5 of your downgrade archive and version of sysupdater
3DS version: 10.3-28E
Filename/md5 of downgrade archive: Forgot, but it was a mega archive of all firmware versions. Forgot md5 too, but the checksums matched.
Version of sysUpdater: The version on p95 of "Simple guide to downgrading your 3ds"

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
3DS version: 10.3-28E
Filename/md5 of downgrade archive: Forgot, but it was a mega archive of all firmware versions. Forgot md5 too, but the checksums matched.
Version of sysUpdater: The version on p95 of "Simple guide to downgrading your 3ds"
New 3ds?

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
Alright well, all I can recommend is that you make sure, yourself by verifying the hashes, that you do indeed have the correct archive. :/
I'm gonna try deleting any DSIWare titles that I have on my system. Maybe they're interfering with something.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm gonna try deleting any DSIWare titles that I have on my system. Maybe they're interfering with something.
Possibly. They're on sysnand right? Remove everything you can thats not on the SD you should be able to backup the save from data management as well, I believe, then , you can re-download it all later when you're set up on emunand.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If everything else fails, you'll probably have to format your sysNAND, and then do a downgrade. I tried doing a downgrade back when the first downgrader came out about a week ago, and got 3 soft-bricks in a row, but after trying the format trick yesterday, it downgraded without the Error screen, all I had to do was remove the SD card. If you're afraid of losing your saves, you can always back them up using homebrew save managers, like SVDT.

Last edited by Lycan911,

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
If everything else fails, you'll probably have to format your sysNAND, and then do a downgrade. I tried doing a downgrade back when the first downgrader came out about a week ago, and got 3 soft-bricks in a row, but after trying the format trick yesterday, it downgraded without the Error screen, all I had to do was remove the SD card. If you're afraid of losing your saves, you can always back them up using homebrew save managers, like SVDT.
Not an option. I don't wanna lose streetpass data and my friend code. I do have a second 3ds that downgraded on the first try, I can always use that for my homebrews if I can't downgrade my main one, but that's really inconvenient. Oh well. Maybe it will work someday...

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Not an option. I don't wanna lose streetpass data and my friend code. I do have a second 3ds that downgraded on the first try, I can always use that if I can't downgrade my main one, and just use that for all my homebrews, but that's really inconvenient. Oh well. Maybe it will work someday...
Don't give up! <3

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most important thing is to get a 100% functional OFW/CFW, have you been able to run CFW, homebrew, install cia, play online etc?
Yes! Another thing I did after I downgraded both systems was also reformatting then again on 9.2.

Right now both have Rxtools with ctrbootmanager enabled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1