Tutorial  Updated

What I Believe Is The Best Downgrade Process Right Now

This is thanks to u/perkel

After Many tries and hours I found this users steps and followed them to success (n3ds). I got through the downgrade process and it automatically rebooted without any problems (no black screen or having to remove the sd).

Here's Perkels solution, and I quote:

"- formated my n3ds (had 10.1, updated to 10.3 then format)
- formated SD (32gb kingstone class10) with SD formater (format overwrite + formatsize adjustements)
- downloaded 9.2-20E firmware for N3DS
- checked md5 of above firmware via this site
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e?
- downloaded this systemupdater which julian posted (SULib one) MIRROR

thread where given (if curious):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/sysupdater-zip.34449/

- downloaded starter kit for homebrew (from smealum site)
- installed TeraCopy to ensure nothing will be damaged via copy/paste on SD card

- put SD to pc
- copy everything lower via teracopy program! (it will show your option when you do it just via copy/paste like normally you do after you install that program)
- copy starter kit folder content to sd card
- copy sysupdater to 3ds folder in your SD card
- copy updates folder to your SD card once you unpacked your downloaded and checked via md5 sum FW
- get your SD card to your 3DS and set up your 3DS (date, time etc.)
- change your theme to something else and back to default (to ensure menuhax will work)
- do browserhax (scan QR code [L+R and then that left sticker] from this site)
- you should go into HomeBrew thanks to above
- choose menuhax manager and install menuhax
- restart your 3DS and hold L to go into homebrewlauncher directly

Once above is done you have properly installed homebrew on 10.3 and it is confirmed that all files are 100% safe to use (that FW you downloaded) and nothing weird should go wrong (it still has that chance though)

Once above was done i started sysupdater from homebrewlauncher.
Since memchunx doesn't work most of the time i had to try 7-10 times before i got #8 success and sysupdater menu.

Then i pressed Y, nothing happened for 3-5 seconds
Then cheking CIA files... or whatever that was for 10-30 seconds
Then it started to install CIA files
Then it got to autorestart in 10 seconds
Autorestarted (NO CRASH)
Booted into 9.2 system without problem perfectly (without taking out SD card)

In other words perfectly updated without single crash (aside from getting into sysupdate menu)

I give my humble thanks to whoever worked on memchunks, julian for this fantastic build and ton of other people that showed me way to ensure everything will work correctly (like teracopy, md5 etc).

Now i have 9.2 and i am wondering what should i do :) Good thing to wonder about :)"

Happy Downgrading!

Last edited by Dribblejam,

Dribblejam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow guide to the tee.

Format card using same app

MicroSD card that was once readable not readable now.

Great.

Format it to fat32

Edit: looks like you got it:)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

People don't seem to be answering any questions about the Failed to get CIA info error at all. What's up with that?

I had this error until I formatted my sd and console. I don't think anyone has a definite solution.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm if the standard new 3DS that released here in the US a few months ago can go to 9.2?

If its possible I may buy it

Uring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hello I was succesfull to downgrade a n3ds from 9.4 to 9.2 with julian sysupdater, but I can't run gateway. I try with the GW.3DSX and with oot no luck.
Anyone with a n3ds was able to install this ir any cfw? please tell me wich cfw so I can give it a try.(currently reading how to install reinand)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The reason some people lose their games and saves is because they had menuhax installed beforehand and it's conflicting with the downgraded firmware. It's an easy fix, just insert the SD card after booting and change the theme.

Anyway, the best downgrade process right now is waiting a few days for it to get more stable.

Uring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

malloherve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is thanks to u/perkel

After Many tries and hours I found this users steps and followed them to success (n3ds). I got through the downgrade process and it automatically rebooted without any problems (no black screen or having to remove the sd).

Here's Perkels solution, and I quote:

"- formated my n3ds (had 10.1, updated to 10.3 then format)
- formated SD (32gb kingstone class10) with SD formater (format overwrite + formatsize adjustements)
- downloaded 9.2-20E firmware for N3DS
- checked md5 of above firmware via this site
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e?
- downloaded this systemupdater which julian posted (SULib one) MIRROR

thread where given (if curious):
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/sysupdater-zip.34449/

- downloaded starter kit for homebrew (from smealum site)
- installed TeraCopy to ensure nothing will be damaged via copy/paste on SD card

- put SD to pc
- copy everything lower via teracopy program! (it will show your option when you do it just via copy/paste like normally you do after you install that program)
- copy starter kit folder content to sd card
- copy sysupdater to 3ds folder in your SD card
- copy updates folder to your SD card once you unpacked your downloaded and checked via md5 sum FW
- get your SD card to your 3DS and set up your 3DS (date, time etc.)
- change your theme to something else and back to default (to ensure menuhax will work)
- do browserhax (scan QR code [L+R and then that left sticker] from this site)
- you should go into HomeBrew thanks to above
- choose menuhax manager and install menuhax
- restart your 3DS and hold L to go into homebrewlauncher directly

Once above is done you have properly installed homebrew on 10.3 and it is confirmed that all files are 100% safe to use (that FW you downloaded) and nothing weird should go wrong (it still has that chance though)

Once above was done i started sysupdater from homebrewlauncher.
Since memchunx doesn't work most of the time i had to try 7-10 times before i got #8 success and sysupdater menu.

Then i pressed Y, nothing happened for 3-5 seconds
Then cheking CIA files... or whatever that was for 10-30 seconds
Then it started to install CIA files
Then it got to autorestart in 10 seconds
Autorestarted (NO CRASH)
Booted into 9.2 system without problem perfectly (without taking out SD card)

In other words perfectly updated without single crash (aside from getting into sysupdate menu)

I give my humble thanks to whoever worked on memchunks, julian for this fantastic build and ton of other people that showed me way to ensure everything will work correctly (like teracopy, md5 etc).

Now i have 9.2 and i am wondering what should i do :) Good thing to wonder about :)"

Happy Downgrading!
God bless you . U are Love U are beautiful U are my guidelight in the darkness of the downgrade's universe. < too much lov but seriously i'm so glad to succeed .
New 3ds XL EUR 10.3 to 9.2
Thank you

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
This worked for me on Majora's Mask N3DS EU from 9.9.0-26E to 9.2E! I did not format the system (might do it later to unlink nands though), just the microSD using the built in Windows format tool, FAT 32, quick format. Moved all the files over normally, then Ejected it from the context menu. I used Cubic Ninja on Sky3DS to access *hax, then installed Menuhax. Took 5 tries to get the sysUpdate to reach the point where you can start the downgrade. When it finished, I had to force turn it off at the "Rebooting in 10 seconds" as nothing happened. I forced it off, took out SD card and booted and it works!

Thanks!

Last edited by Shadowfied,
Reactions: edwordg

ShyPlox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys someone on reddit named Gameboy posted this about the error loading cia file " Is it an error attempting to install a cia? I had this, and you need to reset your dbs folder in sysNAND." , I haven't tested but if u someone on here can I hope it helps!

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had issues doing my n3ds and did basically everything except trying a new card and teracopy. I'm not sure what helped but following these directions, verbatim - including updating from 9.9 to current and then formatting worked. I used to always get stuck at steps 5-7 but after a couple reboots into HBL and sysupdater it got to 8 and worked the first time.

So, a huge thanks for helping make my N3ds a vastly improved tool!

seb5049

Trophies
XP
Country
OK I get that you can backup save data before formatting, but what happens to streetpass and extra data? It's the final thing I need to consider before downgrading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol