Feedback New to the Switch scene : am I doing right ?

stephgsec

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there ! I'm new to the Switch modding scene, but I hacked a lot of other consoles, including 3ds, PS3, Vita, PSP, DSi, DS Lite, etc...
So, I have a V1 non patched switch and jailbreaked it last evening, but I have a few questions to be sure I understand everything correctly. I've been reading a lot of informations, and some seem very outdated.

For a bit of context :

- I hard resetted the switch beforehand to start fresh and clean. I just created my profile and linked it to nintendo, and downloaded a free game. Paired my 4 joycons, except the pro controller which was not charged.
- Formatted my 512GB Samsung SD card to FAT32

Then I followed rentry guides and switchroot wiki :
- created my sysNAND backup and saved it somewhere safe
- saved keys files using lockpick and saved them somewhere safe
- dumped the joycons (not sure what is the purpose of this)
- created a 29GB partition for emuNAND and 32GB partition for android 10
- installed android 10 and gapps, set it up
- power off, created the txt files for exosphere and dnsMITM on the SD card
- back to hekate, created the emuNAND
- booted the emuNAND, set up incognito using Tinfoil
- installed some NSP/NSZ/XCI games/updates/DLC in SD card using DBI
- restored one savegame (TOTK) from Yuzu to the emuNAND using JKSV
As of now, I have OFW, CFW + Android 10 on SD partitions and everything seems to work perfectly fine.

Now, for the questions :
1- Did I do everything correctly ?
2- From the sysNAND, I'm safe to use the Switch online using legit games (let's say MK8 from cardridge and Fall Guys from Nintendo Store) and update those games ?
3- From the emuNAND, I could play my non-legit games safely because connections to N servers are blocked ? I could however update them manually using DBI/Tinfoil, and play online using lan-play/peerplay servers ?
4- Is it safe to install legit games from the sysNAND to the SD card, play and update them using the sysNAND ? (The same SD card where the emuNAND / non legit games / saves are located). I'd like to avoid swapping SD cards...
5- Talking about updates, could I just remove the SD card, boot into sysNAND and perform a normal system update ? Or do I really have to use Daybreak and offline updates ?
6- In other threads, I read some people are using a clean emuNAND to play on N servers. What is the purpose when you could just use the sysNAND ? Did I mis-understood something about sysNAND / emuNAND ?

Right now, I'm a bit afraid of using the sysNAND online, I want to be sure I did everything correctly and I'm safe...
Thank you for your answers !

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there ! I'm new to the Switch modding scene, but I hacked a lot of other consoles, including 3ds, PS3, Vita, PSP, DSi, DS Lite, etc...
So, I have a V1 non patched switch and jailbreaked it last evening, but I have a few questions to be sure I understand everything correctly. I've been reading a lot of informations, and some seem very outdated.

For a bit of context :

- I hard resetted the switch beforehand to start fresh and clean. I just created my profile and linked it to nintendo, and downloaded a free game. Paired my 4 joycons, except the pro controller which was not charged.
- Formatted my 512GB Samsung SD card to FAT32

Then I followed rentry guides and switchroot wiki :
- created my sysNAND backup and saved it somewhere safe
- saved keys files using lockpick and saved them somewhere safe
- dumped the joycons (not sure what is the purpose of this)
- created a 29GB partition for emuNAND and 32GB partition for android 10
- installed android 10 and gapps, set it up
- power off, created the txt files for exosphere and dnsMITM on the SD card
- back to hekate, created the emuNAND
- booted the emuNAND, set up incognito using Tinfoil
- installed some NSP/NSZ/XCI games/updates/DLC in SD card using DBI
- restored one savegame (TOTK) from Yuzu to the emuNAND using JKSV
As of now, I have OFW, CFW + Android 10 on SD partitions and everything seems to work perfectly fine.

Now, for the questions :
1- Did I do everything correctly ? Looks okay.
2- From the sysNAND, I'm safe to use the Switch online using legit games (let's say MK8 from cardridge and Fall Guys from Nintendo Store) and update those games ? Yes. If SysNAND is clean.
3- From the emuNAND, I could play my non-legit games safely because connections to N servers are blocked ? I could however update them manually using DBI/Tinfoil, and play online using lan-play/peerplay servers ? Yes
4- Is it safe to install legit games from the sysNAND to the SD card, play and update them using the sysNAND ? (The same SD card where the emuNAND / non legit games / saves are located). I'd like to avoid swapping SD cards... yes
5- Talking about updates, could I just remove the SD card, boot into sysNAND and perform a normal system update ? Or do I really have to use Daybreak and offline updates ? You update SysNAND through the servers. Emunand through daybreak
6- In other threads, I read some people are using a clean emuNAND to play on N servers. What is the purpose when you could just use the sysNAND ? Did I mis-understood something about sysNAND / emuNAND ? To preserve fuses or use a system with a faulty or altered SysNAND

Right now, I'm a bit afraid of using the sysNAND online, I want to be sure I did everything correctly and I'm safe...
Thank you for your answers !

Answers in quote. If your SysNAND is clean is clean and matches Nintendo's records you're safe.

Last edited by mikefor20,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto