Hacking What Homebrews do you desire to see?

Zaweet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like Brawl, NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, I'd love to see their Wii U equivalents get the same modding treatment!
Full gamepad compatibility would also be amazing in the Wii and Gamecube interpreters, along with a higher resolution.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Wii U games are still new and haven't had the chance to make any money. While Gamecube/Wii "backups" certainly aren't legal, just like with Wii U, they have a much lesser financial effect at this point in time. I don't want a Wii U backup loader until a few years down the line.

I understand your point; however, backup loaders are almost certainly legal to develop noncommercially and to use, both civally and criminally, in the US. Piracy is what is illegal, that is, distribution of copyrighted works you do not legally own.

On the actual subject, I would like to see Wii and gamecube running at 1080p as well as the gamepad used like a harmony remote.

I am unsure whether a firmware change or simple software would allow the Wii U to read things like Bluray, dvd, or SACd, but that would be nice as well.

Some people might like the abili4y to set up a SAMBA share too.

Since I have a HTPC, hacking consoles to run homebrew is not as useful as back in the dreamcast era. Still, the Wii U has some pretty powerful and modern hardware and the gamepad is one of a kind.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I understand your point; however, backup loaders are almost certainly legal to develop noncommercially and to use, both civally and criminally, in the US. Piracy is what is illegal, that is, distribution of copyrighted works you do not legally own.
...did you just say that it is legal to use backup loaders in a criminal way in the US? :wacko:

Other than that, you're only partially correct. For one, backup loaders are only legal if they contain 100% own code. Some emulators, like the PSX one, rely on parts of the BIOS, which is owned by the manufacturer of the thing (sony). As such, a legal way to use it is...well, actually pretty hard.
And you're also completely missing the main problem: you are only allowed to use those loaders for backups. In other words: only for the games you legally own (I'm not sure if that includes region, but it might be). That is what piracy is, not the distribution of it. Though that is (obviously) illegal as well. Even if you own a legitimate version of the game.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
A variant of WiiMC (WiiMC U?) that is capable of playing lag-free 720p MKV videos, even a high bitrates. And integration of a exFAT driver, since Samsung open-sourced it months ago. That would end the FAT32/4GB-per-filesize limitation when watching large Blu-ray rips from USB devices.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I love the duality on this forum....

Some developer (usually quoted from another source): gbatemp is full of dirty pirates! :angry:
Community: (in unison) OMG, how dare you say it! We're self-respecting individuals who follow the rules of the law and are genuinely interested in the development and open-sourcyness of projects involving the wiiu, thus empowering us by taking control of our console. Oh, and we wash on a daily basis! :angry:

Someone else: so...what kind of homebrew do you want? :)
Community: (in unison) backup loaders without verification, media players and emulators of game consoles! :hrth:

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...did you just say that it is legal to use backup loaders in a criminal way in the US? :wacko:

Other than that, you're only partially correct. For one, backup loaders are only legal if they contain 100% own code. Some emulators, like the PSX one, rely on parts of the BIOS, which is owned by the manufacturer of the thing (sony). As such, a legal way to use it is...well, actually pretty hard.
And you're also completely missing the main problem: you are only allowed to use those loaders for backups. In other words: only for the games you legally own (I'm not sure if that includes region, but it might be). That is what piracy is, not the distribution of it. Though that is (obviously) illegal as well. Even if you own a legitimate version of the game.

No, I clearly wrote that they were legal both civally and criminally. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the differences between civil and criminal law.

Piracy is a violation of civil or criminal federal statutes ( in the US) regarding the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted works. Generally speaking, making or keeping a backup of copyrighted works you are in legal posession of is lawful.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheat codes.
Use other device (PC, android) as Wii U gamepad.
Use Wii U gamepad to display PC contents
Something similar to what devolution is to GC. Playing Wii or GC games with the gamepad, primarily

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
most of you only want to play pirated games (emulators, usbloaders, use cheatcodes, etc.), or media player.
Everyone has the same answers.

I would like a VNC client to connect to my computer.
maybe even without powering the WiiU (gamepad hack with libdrc streaming directly from PC?)

and I would just like to see people develop games. New controller, new possibilities, new ideas, new games :)
on PS3, only ThatOtherDev released homebrew games, I hope we would see more game developers on newgen consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...