What gave Mega Drive / Genesis bad rep?

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Well let's face it we think of those crappy fmv games on cd,/32 way before we do snatcher and such

Yep. And the original proper games on them were normally rubbish. It is one of the best doom ports on the 32X, but the expansions in general were failures. They wanted almost as much as the console originally cost for the expansions and there were few games to get excited about. Most of the good games were just ports from other systems, though. And the other games were either FMV, Sports or just plain awful.

I'm still in nintendo's corner for the 16 bit consoles, they just dominated with a library of excellent first party games, amazing third party games and the fun factor was there with the games. I think the consoles graphics were more 'colourful' which I enjoyed more than the gritty look of Sega's graphics. I think the sound was better on the Mega Drive though, it was punchier than the SNES' cartoony, childish sounding audio.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember it having an excellent rep here in the US minus the 32x and to a lesser extent, the SCD failing. The SCD at least had some really awesome games like Snatcher, Sonic CD, Lord of Thunder, Lunar 1-2 etc. The 32x had Virtua Fighter and a half-assed version of MK2 although it played better than the SNES version(still prefer the SNES version over the 32x port). I think any bad rep for the Genesis/MD itself came from the sometimes inferior arcade ports but the SNES ports always suffered from at least minor slowdown, so each had their strengths and weaknesses. SF2 SCE for the Genesis is definitely the best 16-bit port of Hyper Fighting despite the shitty voices, and there's a hack that fixes the scratchy voices

SNES SF2 Turbo, despite having better colors/sound, had a good bit of slowdown although it's still a great port. the Genesis version is definitely closer to the arcade though, especially if you play the arcade version and then compare the SNES & Genesis versions right after.

Also, the SNES was the king of kickass RPGs back in the day even though the SG had Phantasy Star and Lunar if you had a SCD.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Genesis wasn't the problem, it was the shitty addons that they tried to use to force out some life for the poor thing instead of making a new system. That was the real problem for the poor system.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't argue with that. The Genesis itself was a first rate console with a huge library of awesome games, although the SCD did have some gems, like a very accurate port of Final Fight that I forgot to mention. The 32x/Genesis Penis was a REALLY stupid move though considering it was released right before the Saturn came out. It killed a lot of peoples' trust in Sega and was imo the beginning of the end for them reputation-wise.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't argue with that. The Genesis itself was a first rate console with a huge library of awesome games, although the SCD did have some gems, like a very accurate port of Final Fight that I forgot to mention. The 32x/Genesis Penis was a REALLY stupid move though considering it was released right before the Saturn came out. It killed a lot of peoples' trust in Sega and was imo the beginning of the end for them reputation-wise.
Wiiu and NX anybody?

But even still the saturned sucked for other reasons which were not specifically due to the CD/32x

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm too young, so I have no idea. The PS1 was out already when I was 4.

But I remember some games for the SNES were very expensive, something like 220.000Lir (that's like 120$) for Aladdin on the SNES. I only had a Master System, but the prices weren't as high (around 40.000Lir). I'm surprised it's not the other way around.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm too young, so I have no idea. The PS1 was out already when I was 4.

But I remember some games for the SNES were very expensive, something like 220.000Lir (that's like 120$) for Aladdin on the SNES. I only had a Master System, but the prices weren't as high (around 40.000Lir). I'm surprised it's not the other way around.
Well SNES was by capcom and gen was by virgin so that might of had something to do with it

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Well SNES was by capcom and gen was by virgin so that might of had something to do with it

I played both and prefer the SNES version. Not being biased, just thought it was better. That and I've never played a bad Capcom game.

Wiiu and NX anybody?

But even still the saturned sucked for other reasons which were not specifically due to the CD/32x

I do fear for nintendo with both iwata's passing and the NX. Ninty seems to have completely given up on the Wii U and most of their first party games from now on seem to be amiibo focused, something I've not been suckered into. There's lots of rumors flying about and no confirmation on the OS and the hardware, so i'll reserve judgement until a proper press release on the console.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played both and prefer the SNES version. Not being biased, just thought it was better. That and I've never played a bad Capcom game.

I do fear for nintendo with both iwata's passing and the NX. Ninty seems to have completely given up on the Wii U and most of their first party games from now on seem to be amiibo focused, something I've not been suckered into. There's lots of rumors flying about and no confirmation on the OS and the hardware, so i'll reserve judgement until a proper press release on the console.
Well the SNES vs gen thing the Genesis is considered to be the better Aladdin by many but the differences are really not as notable when many kids only played one version and the SNES one is still good(as is lion king and other capcom Disney SNES games)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Well the SNES vs gen thing the Genesis is considered to be the better Aladdin by many but the differences are really not as notable when many kids only played one version and the SNES one is still good(as is lion king and other capcom Disney SNES games)

Yeah, most of the disney games were developed by capcom back then. Shame disney set up their own studio, most of their current games are pretty mediocre.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, most of the disney games were developed by capcom back then. Shame disney set up their own studio, most of their current games are pretty mediocre.
Dis has made good games like epic mickey,Kingdom Hearts(even tho SE did most of the work), and what not.

Plus capcom would of stopped caring as they are known to do although I do miss kids IP games that are good (I'd kill for a good Steven universe game)

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That was one of its biggest selling points even though the SNES had better specs in everything but the cpu
Yes, you're right. But, when we look back at the Genesis now, people regard the SNES as graphically superior. While admittedly, the whole "blast processing" propaganda in the '90s helped sell a great deal of Genesis's in the US, ultimately, there were slightly more sales for the SNES worldwide.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uhh what? If you already have AVGN in your links, might as well watch his SNES VS Genesis video. He himself quoted that Genesis had 51% market share in the West after that "Blast Processing" ad campaign. Genesis did well despite the lack of SegaCD and 32X titles in the west, Saturn and Dreamcast didn't.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uhh what? If you already have AVGN in your links, might as well watch his SNES VS Genesis video.
I actually did watch that particular video, and yes, the Genesis did very well in the West. No doubt. My point is that when we look back today on what gave the Genesis a bad reputation, it was blast processing. It was misleading as the video mentioned, which constituted for more sales in the US back in the '90s.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was one of its biggest selling points even though the SNES had better specs in everything but the cpu

The Snes CPU was more efficient, actually, despite the "lower" clock speed (MHz Myth), the first couple of years had many games with slowdowns, sure, but developers overcame that pretty quickly. From that point on, very few games had slowdown.

Blast processing was only a marketing plow, a buzz word for a faster CPU, when in actually it wasn't truly faster.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
naahh that was just Sega saying "my penis is bigger!!". it was too late when they realized Nintendo didn't care because they had the thing that could *insert* addons :creep:.

Reactions: the_randomizer

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At least in Argentina, the Megadrive was the console of choice back in the day, almost everyone and their dog had a Megadrive, but only a few had a SNES.
The reason was probably because of marketing and sports games.
In general Megadrive had way better sport games, and people probably liked that.
I think it actually fared quite better than the SNES, even when the latter had better hardware, graphics and specially sound.
The Megadrive had great platform and arcade games, but it was notably behind in the adventure and RPG department, I think it suited different tastes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo