CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
[...]

Ohhh, well... i do not have a Win 11

[...]
Use PaintDOTnet to open/edit and convert webp into any other format that paintDOTnet supports, all this using Windows 10. You don't need to install a plugin for that, because WebPFileType.dll is already built-in on the most recent version of PaintDOT net.

If you're using Windows 7 then you're out of luck (and you'll have fewer possibilities).

Reactions: caipora

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 354105
yeah it's super annoying and there's no option to add the windows 11 photos app to the "open with" bar because windows blocks access to the WindowsApps folder. So many hoops to jump through to support the most arbitrary new file format
View attachment 354107

My comp would look at me an say What?! Naw naw naw naw. Hell No! Nope, not gonna happen :angry:

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Last edited by AncientBoi,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This always happens each time a new format gets adopted. But it's an openformat so it's just the laziness of example Microsoft, Discord etc. not to add support for it.

Reactions: AncientBoi

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This always happens each time a new format gets adopted. But it's an openformat so it's just the laziness of example Microsoft, Discord etc. not to add support for it.
Obligatory xkcd
standards.png

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i agree, webp is awful, i hate stealing downloading memes and trying to send them to friends on discord only for discord to piss itself because it has no idea what a webp file is.... or a bmp for that matter

i also hate that when i sometimes click and drag an image from my browser to my desktop it auto-saves as a webp, but if i right click and manually save it saves as a png/jpg
Discord also fucks up animated WEBPs to be rendered as still images.
Post automatically merged:

More millennial humour.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't have a problem with webp, if other apps and websites also supported the format. Discord doesn't see it as a valid format, and that's a huge problem. My phone however, sees and opens them fine. If more things supported webp, I wouldn't mind it.

Reactions: BigOnYa

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's it, that's the thread.
Fucking hate when i save a picture and find out that it's a GODAMN WEBP
WHY THE FUCK
(Edit: That's a satire ya'll, just being a silly internet dude)
Agreed. Compatibility in image editors is an issue, so converting it is not as easy as it should be. Photoshop is what I usually use, and it won't open them. MS Paint will open them, but offers no control over quality settings when saving.
I have to deal with this all the time because the stupid meme box converts everything to webp, and no site lets me upload webp files in order to share them elsewhere.
I got this addon to solve the issue: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-webp-as-png-or-jpeg/

Reactions: caipora

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you save the file on Windows pc, you can, most of the time, chose save as "All Files" options and save the file as different formats. Ex: Save "pic" as "pic.png" or "pic.jpg" by using the .png or .jpg after the file name.
Screenshot 2023-02-19 101422.png

Screenshot 2023-02-19 100544.png

Last edited by BigOnYa,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When you save the file on Windows pc, you can, most of the time, chose save as "All Files" options and save the file as different formats. Ex: Save "pic" as "pic.png" or "pic.jpg" by using the .png or .jpg after the file name.
View attachment 354258
View attachment 354259
I know you're trying to be helpful, but changing the file extension of the file doesn't change the format. It'll just result in the file being treated as corrupted when you try to open it, because it's expecting a PNG but that's not what's inside the file.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you're trying to be helpful, but changing the file extension of the file doesn't change the format. It'll just result in the file being treated as corrupted when you try to open it, because it's expecting a PNG but that's not what's inside the file.
On Windows 10 pc, using Chrome, Almost all web sites, including here, it will download an actual PNG or JPG file for me, using that method... try it ...but yes sometimes won't work.... I'm just saying works for me most of the time. :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning