Hacking Warning when updating emunand

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is possible to update the sysNAND (with all 3 invalid internet connection on sysNAND) with the update that was downloaded from emuNAND?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It is possible to update the sysNAND (with all 3 invalid internet connection on sysNAND) with the update that was downloaded from emuNAND?
nope the update is stored in the nand afaik so you wouldnt need to download it in sysnand for it to do anything to sysnand

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tips i have gathered so far:

Setup three INVALID internet connection on sysNAND. (Prevent downloading on sysNAND, not sure about nintendo zone?!? or any nintendo auto internet connection places?!?)
Delete all content on the SD card to prevent/remove the System Update screen on sysNAND.
Create a folder on sysNAND and named it that way, do the same for emuNAND.
Setup a clear WRONG date/time on sysNAND. (The date/time is visible everywhere! If date/time is wrong then it is sysNAND!)
Choose a theme on emuNAND.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
ok it looks like gateway must be patching 9.x during install, so it would only be emunand compatible.........if you update in gateway mode with no emunand these patches will be applied anyway causing the console to not boot as its not a clean nand version

hundshammer just (sort of) confirmed by flashing his emunand partition to sysnand and it had the exact same result black screen with no booting
But how can they run a modified firmware at all if one cannot digitally sign it?

Every single emuNAND to date had valid nintendo and console-specific signature, to the point where it was possible to flash the bricked consoles with the emuNAND because it was valid. Being able to run a modified emuNAND would imply they got around or cracked nintendo's sig.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But how can they run a modified firmware at all if one cannot digitally sign it?

Every single emuNAND to date had valid nintendo and console-specific signature, to the point where it was possible to flash the bricked consoles with the emuNAND because it was valid. Being able to run a modified emuNAND would imply they got around or cracked nintendo's sig.
i dont think there was any any doubt they could get around the signatures whilst in emunand, they can probably just disable the checks like they do with eshop content being repacked, the nand is still system specific encryption, but if they make any mods to the nand itself rather tan on the fly as it boots it means that nand would then fail the checks if installed to sysnand....but still boot as emunand as they disable the checks

anyways this is just my guess on whats happening, but idk any facts about it

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
seems 2 users have had their 3ds "semi-bricked" by updating sysnand whilst in gateway mode on 2.4b, despite this being mistakes on both users parts, i think we can agree that it seems there is a issue there, so word of warning just make 100% sure you have emunand set up and follow the guides to the letter......as if you enter gateway mode while on sysnand and run a update your console will likely end up with the good old black screen of death(not to be confused with the brick code blue screen of death)

im thinking there must be some sort of bug here as the worst that should happen is sysnand would be updated

im pretty sure this will be fixed by just re-flashing a nand backup....but again make 100% sure you have a nand backup and make 100% sure you have picked format emunand before running a system update on 2.4b

Just to clarify as long as you see GW3D#.# and not Ver.#.# in system setting you should be fine it only appears to happen to people who haven't set emunand up and where already well on their way to a updated system nand anyway

im kinda guessing gateway might actually be apply some sort of patch or something to the nand as its updated, (which is why its not booting when applied to the sysnand) but works in emunand....this is the most logical explanation to me

only appears to happen to people who haven't set emunand up and where already well on their way to a updated system nand anyway

Yeah but you should not update your emunand anyway if you have not got it set up in the first place in Gateway mode. You should only update in the first place if it says GW3D... in system settings in emunand, sorry unless I am reading into it wrong?. :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
only appears to happen to people who haven't set emunand up and where already well on their way to a updated system nand anyway
Yeah but you should not update your emunand anyway if you have not got it set up in the first place in Gateway mode. You should only update in the first place if it says GW3D... is system settings. :)
yeah i know that the people screwed up by not setting emunand up and where destined to be stuck on 9.x sysnand anyway.....but the console should not end up effectively bricked, i think there should be some sort of safety net their to catch people who are a bit......errrr ignorant

plus is said person is silly enough to update without setting emunand up first, i imagine they would be silly enough to skip the part about having a nand backup.......no nand backup = no recovery at all in this situation

Reactions: Reecey

Don21

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did the update last night. Went to Gw mode and went to system update. All went good and i got the themes now.

What i find strange is that the console told me he didnt need to use the internet. How did i get the update then?

IvanMXDF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is my situation

1) GW3D 4.1.0 --> System Settings --> Other Settings --> System Update
2) After 40 minutes, blue bar didn't get to the 100%, just like 80%

Error Message: An Error Occurred. Unable to Update

3) System Restart
4) On Sysnand --> Emunand
5) Some message abot Home Menu
6) Some message about i have Themes now
7) Still on GW3D 4.1.0

Power Off, Power On

8) Sysnand --> Emunand
9) GW3D 4.1.0 --> System Settings --> Other Settings --> System Update
10) After 15 minutes, blue bar didn't get to the 100%, just like 10%

11) System Restart
12) Sysnand --> Emunand

Freeze!, Holding power button 10 seconds so i can turn off.

Now i don't know what to do...

Edit

I'm following this guide http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_la/ts_internet.jsp i'll update post in few minutes.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is my situation

3) System Restart
7) Still on GW3D 4.1.0

Power Off, Power On

8) Sysnand --> Emunand

11) System Restart
12) Sysnand --> Emunand

Edit

I'm following this guide http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_la/ts_internet.jsp i'll update post in few minutes.

Sounds like It's semi updating, as in saying it's on GW3D4.1 when its actually on 9.0 If you've got the themes and can access eshop and play the new games I wouldn't worry about it aslong as it works, have you tested any games?

IvanMXDF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sounds like It's semi updating, as in saying it's on GW3D4.1 when its actually on 9.0 If you've got the themes and can access eshop and play the new games I wouldn't worry about it aslong as it works, have you tested any games?

Well, maybe was the DNS thing. My emunand is updated now, GW3D 9.0.0-20U.

Thank you for asking.

GH0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my situation

3) System Restart
7) Still on GW3D 4.1.0

Power Off, Power On

8) Sysnand --> Emunand

11) System Restart
12) Sysnand --> Emunand

Edit

Try updating your Emunand from a ROM to 8.X first, and then update to 9.0 sysupdate

mouscoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
the problem may come from the fact that the linker and a fake?
I updated my Emunand no problem works perfectly GW3D 9.0.0-20E

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hello
the problem may come from the fact that the linker and a fake?
I updated my Emunand no problem works perfectly GW3D 9.0.0-20E
No the problem isn't down to fakes, if anything it's down to user error by not setting up emunand before updating, but there was a small oversight on gateways side for not ensuring that either the update was blocked unless emunand was set up or not doing whatever it is in terms of patching when updating without emunand

Again this is not so much a big bad bug, just something to warn people about as if they do make the mistake of updating before setting up emunand and don't have a nand backup to get restored their console is effectively permanently bricked...........which I'm sure people would like to be made aware of so they 100% make sure they follow all the guidelines such as backing up their nand and setting emunand up before any attempt to run updates

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is my situation

3) System Restart
7) Still on GW3D 4.1.0

Power Off, Power On

8) Sysnand --> Emunand

11) System Restart
12) Sysnand --> Emunand

Edit

I'm having a similar issue here. I had to change SD card because I was on a 2GB. I set up emunand fine (showed 4.5GW in settings). Update failed, but on gateway mode bootup, I was greeted with the new firmware changes, however settings said I was still on 4.5GW. I loaded up smash, it works. I entered the eShop, it says there is an update.

So I'm going to do what people who replied to my quote suggested. How do I make an update from a rom trigger? Just by loading it up? Cause I just ran smash without it asking to update, and I started clean on a 4.5 emunand, so it couldn't have worked. Yet I cannot access eShop.

bob007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a similar issue. I put the 2.4b launcher onto the same SD I've always used and loaded up gateway. I held L on the profile option and selected the "boot into gateway mode." Went back into the system settings and its on the GW 8.1.0 (something along those lines as it usually is). I went into system update, started to update and got the error message. Restarted, and I got a message about youtube and notifications etc like when I update on GW last time, except obviously it was on the SYSnand. When I went into the system settings again though, it was the standard 4.4.0. I can still load up gateway, which is on GW 8.1.0 (as it usually is). I've tried to load a game and it works as normal as far as I can tell. The only problem is, I haven't updated either to 9.X, but on the 4.4.0 I have notifications and youtube like older versions. Is there a way to get rid of this? Have I half-updated? I'm not sure how I did it, I thought I'd done everything as normal but obviously not.

Thanks in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...