Hacking Warning when updating emunand

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I've had a similar issue. I put the 2.4b launcher onto the same SD I've always used and loaded up gateway. I held L on the profile option and selected the "boot into gateway mode." Went back into the system settings and its on the GW 8.1.0 (something along those lines as it usually is). I went into system update, started to update and got the error message. Restarted, and I got a message about youtube and notifications etc like when I update on GW last time, except obviously it was on the SYSnand. When I went into the system settings again though, it was the standard 4.4.0. I can still load up gateway, which is on GW 8.1.0 (as it usually is). I've tried to load a game and it works as normal as far as I can tell. The only problem is, I haven't updated either to 9.X, but on the 4.4.0 I have notifications and youtube like older versions. Is there a way to get rid of this? Have I half-updated? I'm not sure how I did it, I thought I'd done everything as normal but obviously not.

Thanks in advance.
post a picture of your home screen, i doubt you have updated its probably just that you set the internet up in emunand then the settings coppied to your sysnand so it downloaded a dummy app like it does sometimes (i think thats spottpass you can turn it off in system settings) if you had partially updated sysnand you wouldnt be able to boot up gateway mode,

just leave your 3ds in sleep mode, it will download the update....once it starts prompting you to update on the homescreen go to system settings and update....it just seems the nintendo servers dont like some peoples connections if the connection drops during an update it just says an error has occured and can partially apply the update or do pretty much nothing it would depend on how much it had downloaded/applied etc

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
post a picture of your home screen, i doubt you have updated its probably just that you set the internet up in emunand then the settings coppied to your sysnand so it downloaded a dummy app like it does sometimes (i think thats spottpass you can turn it off in system settings) if you had partially updated sysnand you wouldnt be able to boot up gateway mode,

just leave your 3ds in sleep mode, it will download the update....once it starts prompting you to update on the homescreen go to system settings and update....it just seems the nintendo servers dont like some peoples connections if the connection drops during an update it just says an error has occured and can partially apply the update or do pretty much nothing it would depend on how much it had downloaded/applied etc
Thanks I'll leave the 3DS in sleepmode for the night and see how it goes.

D

Deleted User

I've had a similar issue. I put the 2.4b launcher onto the same SD I've always used and loaded up gateway. I held L on the profile option and selected the "boot into gateway mode." Went back into the system settings and its on the GW 8.1.0 (something along those lines as it usually is). I went into system update, started to update and got the error message. Restarted, and I got a message about youtube and notifications etc like when I update on GW last time, except obviously it was on the SYSnand. When I went into the system settings again though, it was the standard 4.4.0. I can still load up gateway, which is on GW 8.1.0 (as it usually is). I've tried to load a game and it works as normal as far as I can tell. The only problem is, I haven't updated either to 9.X, but on the 4.4.0 I have notifications and youtube like older versions. Is there a way to get rid of this? Have I half-updated? I'm not sure how I did it, I thought I'd done everything as normal but obviously not.

Thanks in advance.

I think this is because you have a 8.x/9.x youtube app on your SD, and the 4.4 sysnand recognizes it. Maybe it's the same for notifications

fabiobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To provide more information into the matter, and hopefully avoid further problems for the community, the only difference between the above and what I did was instead of updating via system settings I updated via eshop. So, to avoid the problems, dont update via eshop.
You have entered in the eshop AFTER you see the GW3D firmware in the settings?
If yes, the problem is this: when you exit from the emuNAND settings, the Gateway will redirect you to the SYSNAND, and then you can screw up all.

So, to all: for don't make mistake, create a foldar with "S" for sysNAND, and a folder with "E" for emuNAND.
Nothing new here, i know, but it's important... and with the 9.X we can use themes, so it will be easier too.

BTW: is there any way for transfer the streetpass data from an emuNAND to another emuNAND? tks :)

Reactions: Nightwish

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've had some blackscreen / striped screen crashed with gateway since the omega update. It happens when i load the ds profile, so I might need to reinstall the exploit. A permanent blackscreen is a serious issue though.

Also i really dislike the use of the b in 2.4b. it reminds me about the bricking with 2.0b2..

Anyway, thanks for the report. I'll wait with the update.

bob007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little update since yday. I tried to update again today and it finished fine. On GW3d 9.0.0, I have themes etc loaded up pokemon, it was all running fine. Went back into the system settings and changed back to 4.4.0. In the notifications I now also have a message about themes etc. I assumed

I think this is because you have a 8.x/9.x youtube app on your SD, and the 4.4 sysnand recognizes it. Maybe it's the same for notifications

Unfortunately, I then went back to try and load up GW3D 9.0.0, and it just goes into the ds profile screen. Tried it again holding the L button, and same thing happens. I think

if you had partially updated sysnand you wouldnt be able to boot up gateway mode

this has happened. The system version still however says 4.4.0. Is there anything I can do now?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well, if you partially updated your sysNAND and now can't use gateway anymore, I guess you will have to get a hardmod and flash your 4.4 NAND backup back to your system, you did make backup, right?

edit: or yeah, try what json said, reinstalling the exploit, maybe you are lucky and didn't update your sysNAND, just somehow got the exploit removed

bob007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rerun the blue card installer

That seems to have done it, I've read on here that I'm not the only one it's happened to where youtube and the mailbox has appeared on sysNAND. Doesn't seem to have really affected anything though, but did scare me when it first showed up.

Thanks everyone for your help.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
People... Just put a different skin than the default on your 9.x emunand or change your menu layout on your <= 8.x emunand.
Also, if you don't have a hardware nand mod, check how other users are affected after the update.
And damn it, keep a backup of your nand and a working emunand.

Think first, update later

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
That seems to have done it, I've read on here that I'm not the only one it's happened to where youtube and the mailbox has appeared on sysNAND. Doesn't seem to have really affected anything though, but did scare me when it first showed up.

Thanks everyone for your help.
It does it to everyone because they're stored in the same place. But attempting to launch emunand apps from sysnand will result in an error, and then the next time you go to emunand you'll have them wrapped up and need to touch to unbox them again. Nothing is lost though. For this reason I've placed my settings on sysnand to a position on the grid which is unused and far away from the emunand apps. This crossover clusterfuck - along with data management wipes and all - could have been avoided if gateway team SIMPLY virtualized the root of the SD card in a separate folder instead of allowing the same folder to be used for both sysnand and emunand.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I've read somewhere that deleting the directory on the SD card where all the 3DS apps (the folder with the really long number at the root directory of the card), will force sysnand/emunand to generate a new folder with a different name. Backup the folder before you do this as you want to restore it later.

I don't think sysnand will recreate the folder until you redownload something which can't be done without being updated to latest firmware first. So you probably have get a new folder generated for emunand instead.

It's best to do this after you have made the backup and have emunand installed but before you go to update it.

Power down the 3DS, remove the SD card and delete the folder from your PC (back it up first!), then boot back into emunand and redownload something from eShop. Then power down again and restore you're backed up folder so sysnand has it's original apps back.

Assuming the emunand created a new folder with a different name, you should not have naming conflicts when you attempt to copy it back. The sysnand will continue to use the old folder you restored while emunand uses it's own folder that it created. You should no longer have to worry about stuff downloaded while in emunand showing up in your sysnand home menu.

Also due to the new theme feature intreduced in version 9.x firmware, it's super easy to tell if you're in sysnand or not. Simply set a custom theme in emunand. If you're not on emunand, you'll see the bland default theme that v4.5 is stuck with. ;)

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've read somewhere that deleting the directory on the SD card where all the 3DS apps (the folder with the really long number at the root directory of the card), will force sysnand/emunand to generate a new folder with a different name. Backup the folder before you do this as you want to restore it later.

Actually, formatting either emuNAND or sysNAND forces it to create a new unique-named folder and separates the two completely. Not sure if this can help with these overrides though.

And sys/emuNAND recreate their folder as soon as they boot and detect the SD card(you even get a popup saying it's creating SD card data).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
a bump for awareness, i have just been messaged for someone who fell into this trap, made no nand backup, didnt set emunand up either, so they effectively have a complete brick on their hands with absolutely no way of recovering it.........hopefully nobody else skips half the tutorials in future....#1 rule make a bloody nand backup before you start messing about trying to update emunand etc :wtf:

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I lost my nand back up when I wiped my PC. Am I okay to make a new nand back up anytime? Or does it need to be before I have emunand etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt