Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1. put new launcher.dat on SD
2 boot into emunand
3. go to system settings and make sure it says GW3D on the system version(if it says ver.#.# that means you do not have emunand set up....go read the guides again)
4. go directly to the system update page do not exit system settings...just straight to update and run the update
Indeed, not that difficult. But if there's any possible way to screw something up, there are people out there who will screw it up.

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
You guys made me boot my 3ds to see if its bricked/unbootable. Looks like i'm able to read because it boots.. happy me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Indeed, not that difficult. But if there's any possible way to screw something up, there are people out there who will screw it up.
true true, but for example they guy who contacted me who its also happened to had only just switched his SD to a 4GB card as needed for smash bros........forgot that he needed to setup emunand again, so i cant stress the importance of always just double checking that GW3D before updating, its the last line of defense against stupid mistakes :P ....actually just always make sure you have a nand backup luckily both users had one if they didn't it would be a worse situation that the old brick code bricks even, at least they can be recovered with no nand backup in most cases

xam5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. put new launcher.dat on SD
2 boot into emunand
3. go to system settings and make sure it says GW3D on the system version(if it says ver.#.# that means you do not have emunand set up....go read the guides again)
4. go directly to the system update page do not exit system settings...just straight to update and run the update

To provide more information into the matter, and hopefully avoid further problems for the community, the only difference between the above and what I did was instead of updating via system settings I updated via eshop. So, to avoid the problems, dont update via eshop.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
To provide more information into the matter, and hopefully avoid further problems for the community, the only difference between the above and what I did was instead of updating via system settings I updated via eshop. So, to avoid the problems, dont update via eshop.
yeah it was also established you didn't have emunand set up....i think that's the most likely cause as the other user updated the normal system settings way and still ended up with the same result.....only similarity in both cases was the lack of emunand being set up before updating

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Update your launcher, then update your emunand. Or update your emunand, then update your launcher.

It works either way, I just updated my system this morning and didn't put the new launcher on first.

IvanMXDF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi.

I already have emunand without updates (GW 4.x)

Should i format emunand again before updating it?

Ty.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't follow instructions, shit goes wrong.

I suppose it would also be Nintendo's fault if you bricked, because your battery ran out doing a firmware update, because you didn't follow the instructions that say be plugged in.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
My tip:

get a NAND backup 1st thing

as for 1st time updating there emuNAND.. people should look for the GW3D#.#

people shouldn't touch the system NAND at all.

for the emuNAND they should use folders which spell out emuNAND and use one of the themes..

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a prompt to update the other day, while I was in gateway emunand using 2.3 firmware. I've never had this happen before. I would assume this is safe but thought I would check first since I haven't been paying attention to the Gateway scene much. I think I'll update the gateway firmware first then do a manual update from the settings menu, and ignore the update prompt.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ok it looks like gateway must be patching 9.x during install, so it would only be emunand compatible.........if you update in gateway mode with no emunand these patches will be applied anyway causing the console to not boot as its not a clean nand version

hundshammer just (sort of) confirmed by flashing his emunand partition to sysnand and it had the exact same result black screen with no booting

timmeehh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Hey guys, just succesfully updated & downloaded my Pokemon Omega&Alpha demo & Shiny gengar! Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)