Hacking WARNING!!!! CIA LIMIT CONFIRMED ON EMUNAND!!!!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very informative, I heard about this before but I forgot what the limit was. There's always that one person who's like "pointless thread, already posted". But I guess that's because it usually is the case.

I have about 50 3DS game cia's, and about 50 other cia's for other things. The 333 limit isn't too bad for specific people, especially since you can delete games to make space. If you're on the 333 mark, there's DEFINTIELY some games worth deleting that you don't need.

Keeping the cia files all on your computer helps you have a collection.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So glad that this was found out, Now i am going to delete the VC games i have and just use emulators to save .cia space.

Last edited by cvskid,

skydancer93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo needs to raise the limit so those who pirate can benefit?...........

First of all, you're complaining about "piracy" and yet you're on a message board that deals primarily in bypassing system securities, backing up games, and homebrew. If you're so starch on that ideal, WHY are you here in the first place? Just being real and honest with you in that regard. For example, I hate bigots, racists, and people who hide behind religion as a crutch to spew hatred. So, why would I join a message board of theirs if I don't agree with their ideals? If you're against piracy and think that's ALL this site's about, I suggest you go elsewhere. However, if you want to crack your devices wide open, backup your games, protect your investments, and get more out of what you have in front of you as you can reach it to its full potential, then by all means, stay. But, please be respectful and not group all of us as filthy pirates.

Secondly, with the way the 3DS has been cracked open and the scene is doing wonders with custom firmwares and homebrew to the point that it's starting to pick up steam, I'm sure someone can find a way to crack that limit in at least EmuNAND. Nintendo themselves doesn't have to do it as they don't put up enough Virtual Console titles to warrant that.

Thirdly, the beauty of injections is that we can have in the palm of our hand with a GUI and useful presentation of games we used to play growing up and that we play a lot. Most of these games are to be enjoyed in short bursts. Especially the case with NES and Game Boy games which can probably be beaten in a about a half hour and we still want to play again. Most of these games will NEVER see an official eShop Virtual Console release as the company who made the games either went out of business, the licenses changed, or whatever the case may be.

For example, a few of my favorite games of all time. Tiny Toon Adventures on the NES for starters. That's never going to get a release because of licensing issues with Warner Bros and Konami doesn't have the rights to the game any more. Then, Wizards and Warriors. Acclaim went out of business YEARS ago and to my knowledge, no one picked up the license. Technically since Rare developed it, they can probably get the IP, but since Microsoft owns them now, we'll never get to see that either.

Get where I'm going with this?

That's why now WE can pick which games we want to put on our Virtual Console instead of having Nintendo pick out a bunch of crap that no one asked for nor would play. If I want Tiny Toons or Wizards and Warriors on my 3DS to play on the go, now I can.

I hope this answer's been satisfactory to you......

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So glad that this was found out, Now i am going to delete the VC games i have and just use emulators to save .cia space.

Any suggestions for NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear, and Genesis that run at full speed and can be used with Gateway?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you're complaining about "piracy" and yet you're on a message board that deals primarily in bypassing system securities, backing up games, and homebrew.......

I really don't know what your problem is, but you only made a case that Nintendo should increase it because of sites learning about injects, which is only a thing with piracy. Nintendo does not cater to piracy. I'm simply describing the scenario here. I do my own thing regarding piracy, but I don't "complain" about the limit when I can't hold all these pirated games on my system all at once, to the point where I feel Nintendo should increase it for my own benefit in something they forbid.

Last edited by DiscostewSM,
D

Deleted User

The limit imposed by Nintendo was 300 I believe, sometime they mentioned in the manual in 2011. Don't think it's been increased though.

Thought to be honest, even with just 30 games loaded on the SD, it takes a good 5-6 second to load up the icons, can't imagine what 300 would do lol.

Reactions: Megaben99

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you're complaining about "piracy" and yet you're on a message board that deals primarily in bypassing system securities, backing up games, and homebrew. If you're so starch on that ideal, WHY are you here in the first place? Just being real and honest with you in that regard. For example, I hate bigots, racists, and people who hide behind religion as a crutch to spew hatred. So, why would I join a message board of theirs if I don't agree with their ideals? If you're against piracy and think that's ALL this site's about, I suggest you go elsewhere. However, if you want to crack your devices wide open, backup your games, protect your investments, and get more out of what you have in front of you as you can reach it to its full potential, then by all means, stay. But, please be respectful and not group all of us as filthy pirates.

Secondly, with the way the 3DS has been cracked open and the scene is doing wonders with custom firmwares and homebrew to the point that it's starting to pick up steam, I'm sure someone can find a way to crack that limit in at least EmuNAND. Nintendo themselves doesn't have to do it as they don't put up enough Virtual Console titles to warrant that.

Thirdly, the beauty of injections is that we can have in the palm of our hand with a GUI and useful presentation of games we used to play growing up and that we play a lot. Most of these games are to be enjoyed in short bursts. Especially the case with NES and Game Boy games which can probably be beaten in a about a half hour and we still want to play again. Most of these games will NEVER see an official eShop Virtual Console release as the company who made the games either went out of business, the licenses changed, or whatever the case may be.

For example, a few of my favorite games of all time. Tiny Toon Adventures on the NES for starters. That's never going to get a release because of licensing issues with Warner Bros and Konami doesn't have the rights to the game any more. Then, Wizards and Warriors. Acclaim went out of business YEARS ago and to my knowledge, no one picked up the license. Technically since Rare developed it, they can probably get the IP, but since Microsoft owns them now, we'll never get to see that either.

Get where I'm going with this?

That's why now WE can pick which games we want to put on our Virtual Console instead of having Nintendo pick out a bunch of crap that no one asked for nor would play. If I want Tiny Toons or Wizards and Warriors on my 3DS to play on the go, now I can.

I hope this answer's been satisfactory to you......

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any suggestions for NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear, and Genesis that run at full speed and can be used with Gateway?
For gameboy/gameboycolor, i use the newest revision of gameyob 3ds. For nes i use the newest revision quicknes from retroarch. For gamegear i use the newest revision of genesis plus gx from retroarch which also plays sega master system games. Last, for sega genesis i use the latest revision of picodrive from retroarch.

I use the .cia versions of the emulators on my gateway 3ds emunand but there are also .3dsx if you use the homebrew launcher as well. picodrive runs most genesis games at fullspeed with some frame drops here and there but it is playable.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-3ds-gb-c-emu.372523/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-nightly-builds-here.396843/

Last edited by cvskid,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't you in theory get multiple SD cards each with their own EmuNand and carry them around with your Retail 3DS games carts and swap them on the rare occasion you need to play something that's not on the current loadout? That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, buy a few cheap 64gb cards, put about 20 retail games on it, a crapload of 3DSWare and VC, taking care to stay under the limit and then do the same with different games on another SD, and so on?

That seems like the most logical "bypass" of this limit. Some would say that's inconvenient but it's quite different from carrying a bunch of Retail 3DS games, I know there's little keychain cases you can buy at CVS for like- a buck that you can attach to your keys and pop 4 SD cards in there for convenient carrying.

It would take a long while to set up though, basically you would need to plan this out ahead of time, and installing CIAs does take a while.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
how about installing 300 in sysnand and 300 in emunand (assuming you have them unlinked) then you can switch between them with rxtools, as much as i like playing old games sometimes i think i could live just installing the main ones as .cia and using the not so important ones with retroarch or gameyob etc.......or get different SD cards

tbh i cant really think of 100vc games i would actually feel the urge to have on my 3ds at all times never mind 300

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Arithmatics

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
how about installing 300 in sysnand and 300 in emunand (assuming you have them unlinked) then you can switch between them with rxtools, as much as i like playing old games sometimes i think i could live just installing the main ones as .cia and using the not so important ones with retroarch or gameyob etc.......or get different SD cards

tbh i cant really think of 100vc games i would actually feel the urge to have on my 3ds at all times never mind 300
Guy with 600 titles split between emu and sys;

THERE'S NOTHING TO PLAY!

#firstworldproblem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU