Hardware Vigil: Wii U hardware "on par with current generation"

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I've seen several other interviews by Vigil. This doesn't add up.

I think Vigil may be trying to say that the Wii U is no less powerful, but they won't be adding any graphical improvements to the Wii U version.

Intimidator88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im just glad nintendo is finally pushing out an HD console that pushes out 1080 for all the great series they got, this is new grounds for nintendo lets see how they handle it. I really dont see the next xbox and playstation jumping much farther then what we got now i mean look at Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 what more can they do? Fix screen tearing and dip in frames? As far as making them look better i dont see it maybe make it run smoother but not better looking.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know what, who cares. Yeah I know fanboys will, but games can only look so good. I mean look at the PS3 and 360, developers haven't exactly reached their maximum potential.

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not going to make a powerful console. Their games are simple, cartoony, and childish. They do not need a powerful console to play those types of games, and it'll help them prices it low for the casuals and kids.
With that said, next gen Nintendo will get watered down ports like this gen, but that's not going to matter with kids and casuals buying the cheap Wii U for it's family friendly games.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not going to make a powerful console. Their games are simple, cartoony, and childish
Stopped right there.
Let me point out that while their games are indeed more casual based, in no way does it mean they are simple or childish.
You just seem to be the Valwin for Nintendo.

Reactions: 6 people

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He does say that they won't be doing anything to uprez the game. They *could* though, they're just lazy. I don't think it's fair to call the WiiU "on par" when it's clearly blowing the 360 and the PS3 specs wise.

Theres Logic on what he says

Giggtysword344

I want some Scum Nyums
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not going to make a powerful console. Their games are simple, cartoony, and childish
Stopped right there.
Let me point out that while their games are indeed more casual based, in no way does it mean they are simple or childish.
You just seem to be the Valwin for Nintendo.
The Valwin that can speak in complete sentences actually.

Reactions: 2 people

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo is not going to make a powerful console. Their games are simple, cartoony, and childish. They do not need a powerful console to play those types of games, and it'll help them prices it low for the casuals and kids.
With that said, next gen Nintendo will get watered down ports like this gen, but that's not going to matter with kids and casuals buying the cheap Wii U for it's family friendly games.
Man... The only reason I dont put you on ignore list it's because I dont like to ignore anyone.

Nintendo games aren't all cartoony, simple or childish.
Zelda for once, it might be a cartoony style, and even so not all of them are, but it's a game that's quite complex, some of the puzzles it has aren't that easy for little kids.
And cartoon style graphics is different from bad graphics, look at anime games, they're cartoon styled, but some of them have amazing graphics, realism isn't related to graphics, you can have a powerful machine but not want to use realistic graphics.

And you talk as if Nintendo doesn't care about graphics of powerful machines, only the DS and the Wii, were far lower in graphics compared to their rivals, and even so, they sold well, I don't believe in harcore gaming, just because you play something doesn't mean you're a real gamer.

The Wii U might have lower graphics than it's rivals, but then again, the PC is far more powerful than any console and it's graphics are on par with it's console counterparts, so until games that take the max out of a console comes out, you won't really notice the difference.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Why are you replying
Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

In before Sony defense force informs me that his opinions are perfectly logical and not at all inflammatory

Reactions: 4 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not because it's 'bad' that it's news worthy, it's news on the Wii U which we won't be getting until E3; even if it's good or bad, it's a different speculation on what the Wii U is capable of and I think that's news worthy enough.
Wasn't you complaining about other people posting wii u news?
:3

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not because it's 'bad' that it's news worthy, it's news on the Wii U which we won't be getting until E3; even if it's good or bad, it's a different speculation on what the Wii U is capable of and I think that's news worthy enough.
Wasn't you complaining about other people posting wii u news?

I think he was "complaining" about people posting general news but only listing it as Wii U news. Like "X Coming to the Wii U" when the game was announced for all consoles. I can't recall anyone (even myself) complaining about a lot of Wii U news that pertains to the system (such as specs, features, etc). People just shouldn't be labeling general news that affects all consoles as Wii U news because their sources are those shit "Nintendo news sites" that only have write-ups pertaining to Nintendo and exclude the whole "it's on these consoles too".

General request for USN users: Try using a general news site and not a brand specific site unless that brand specific site is the brand's site and the news is specific to that brand. It gets annoying.

EDIT: ...On a different note, Darksiders II is also a Wii U launch title if anyone cared. It's the Zelda game everyone wanted!

D

Deleted_171835

http://media.gamereactor.dk/DarksidersII_29571.mp4

I watched the interview myself (use the above link) and the quotes from the OP aren't enough to tell the full story. He said that as the game director, he's in charge of the narrative and other story-related stuff. He doesn't deal with technical side of things.

The guy asked him about multiplatform development and he said "Ummm... you know... honestly, it's not real transparent from my perceptive." which further proves that. Considering he isn't involved with working on the game from the technical side of things, he's the wrong person to be making this comment. When he said that the console was on par with the PS3/360, he was probably saying that to fit alongside the companies claim that the game will look the same on all platforms.

The actual technical director at Vigil already said that the Wii U was more powerful in a quote from a previous interview.

When we asked Bonstead if he thought it was possible that the Wii U version of Darksiders II would be the best version of the game, he said, "Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."
http://www.gameinfor...ksiders-ii.aspx

So uh, case closed?

Reactions: 2 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"it's on these consoles too".
Well they usually (from what I seen) do put it in the write ups. Only the titles have " on Wii U" in it because on the very fact there little news on it and
the news about the other consoles are already know.
I hope that made sense.
EDIT: ...On a different note, Darksiders II is also a Wii U launch title if anyone cared. It's the Zelda game everyone wanted!
I been know and cared despite it not being the " Zelda game everyone wanted". :P

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
[media]http://media.gamerea...ersII_29571.mp4[/media]

I watched the interview myself (use the above link) and the quotes from the OP aren't enough to tell the full story. He said that as the game director, he's in charge of the narrative and other story-related stuff. He doesn't deal with technical side of things.

The guy asked him about multiplatform development and he said "Ummm... you know... honestly, it's not real transparent from my perceptive." which further proves that. Considering he isn't involved with working on the game from the technical side of things, he's the wrong person to be making this comment. When he said that the console was on par with the PS3/360, he was probably saying that to fit alongside the companies claim that the game will look the same on all platforms.

The actual technical director at Vigil already said that the Wii U was more powerful in a quote from a previous interview.

When we asked Bonstead if he thought it was possible that the Wii U version of Darksiders II would be the best version of the game, he said, "Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

So uh, case closed?
Yeah that solves this one. Marvin Donald probably said that it's on par because he knows they didn't have to put an inferior version on Wii U. Still, I hope he's wrong when he says there will be no "uprez"ing going on.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[media]http://media.gamerea...ersII_29571.mp4[/media]

So uh, case closed?
Yeah that solves this one. Marvin Donald probably said that it's on par because he knows they didn't have to put an inferior version on Wii U. Still, I hope he's wrong when he says there will be no "uprez"ing going on.

What he means but no "uprez'ing" is that the Wii-U has enough RAM to do full 1080P native, the PS3 and the 360 could both do full 1080P with the chips they have but they do not have enough RAM to pull it off with some exceptions of course and even 720P on the PS3 and 360 most of those games are upscaled. (usually running some weird res like 560P or something.)

This is the reason I think the next gen is going to be weird... The Wii-U while not featuring cutting edge tech, features enough tech that adding more tech to "beat the Wii-U" is only going to be an exercise in fanboyism. The difference in graphics will not really be visible to the human eye. Realistically Sony and Microsoft could just add RAM to the PS3 and the 360 release them like Nintendo did the Wii and that would be the last jump in graphics until the next gen of TV's get launched.

Maybe the next gen will finally feature those 10 year lifespans lol

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes I left it on purpose, both parts are a little contradictory.
The hardware is on par, but they could have improved it visually but decided not to.

Sounds like lazy developers to me. They got the time, there is no confirmed release date for the Wii U as of yet and if they are getting closer to completing the game, there is no excuse for fine tuning it to meet the consoles performance capabilities. I just get the feeling that they don't want to bother with the extra time making a game that makes the 360 and PS3 versions look like utter crap, but then again, that will probably happen with all multiplatform games after the Wii U releases.

Considering we are probably 2 years away from seeing new consoles from Microsoft and Sony where the only real performance gains they are going to get are in load times and graphics enhancements such as lighting and textures, as well as improved frame rates with higher polygon and texture rates. Completely silly not to promote the Wii U as being a step ahead of Sony and Microsoft, but hey, 3rd party developers are not known for working hard on multiplatform games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them