Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Update: Bus-powered USB hard drives will work, but some will need the Y-cable USB connector. That's a relief, and I doubt the MyPassport HDDs draw that much power.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop
If a drive only has one plug and doesn't work, then it's because it's not following the USB specifications. That's the fault of the drive for expecting out-of-spec voltage if the Wii U's supplying power according to the 2.0 spec (500ma, 5V).

The whole "two plug" thing is to get around that issue, to let devices pull power from two plugs at once so they can get what they need.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDMI Splitter would be one of these, right? http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011303&p_id=2522&seq=1&format=2
For rerouting the audio to the speakers, I can't find on the website, any suggestions?
So, for the Wii U, I would get one of these splitter, or would I get an SPDIF cable so any HDMI audio is rerouted to the speakers?
SPDIF - http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2681&seq=1&format=2

Okay, I'll reword my current setup as clearly as possible

Consoles and the connections currently used

Wii - Component cable
Wii U - Used Wii Component in the mean time (up to 1080p supported, as it's a standard RGB)
PS3 - Component+HDMI (multi out), swap between Wii/PS3 using speaker connectors

TV: 36" Vizio LCD TV
Inputs on back/side

x4 HDMI
X1 SPDIF
x1 Component
x1 Composite/RCA

What would an HDMI splitter do, allow multiple consoles to use one port, HDMI ports aren't an issue since I've plenty to spare, the main issue is being able to my Logitech speakers instead of crappy TV ones. Would the HDMI to red/white splitter allow me to use HDMI and component audio in the same connection? I can't seem to find them.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii - Component cable
Wii U - Used Wii Component in the mean time (up to 1080p supported, as it's a standard RGB)
PS3 - Component+HDMI (multi out), swap between Wii/PS3 using speaker connectors

Any reasons why you wouldn't just continue to use the wii component cable and either split off the audio connections from that cable to run to your receiver? I picked up a HDMI to 8 channel audio adapter, but my receiver has 8 channel analog in and I've got other uses for that adapter. (The win for the Wii-U is that it converts 6 channel PCM to those analog outputs)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reasons why you wouldn't just continue to use the wii component cable and either split off the audio connections from that cable to run to your receiver? I picked up a HDMI to 8 channel audio adapter, but my receiver has 8 channel analog in and I've got other uses for that adapter. (The win for the Wii-U is that it converts 6 channel PCM to those analog outputs)

It's not a receiver, but a standard 2.1 Logitech speaker system (around $85, so it's not low-end). I can use component for my Wii U just fine, but the problem is, if I wanted to use HDMI, I'd be stuck with crappy TV speakers, seeing as the TV doesn't have optical out, but has SPDIF. If there was to have all HDMI devices go from the TV to my speaker system, it would free up the component cable for the Wii. I wish Nintendo allowed multi-out like the PS3.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a receiver, but a standard 2.1 Logitech speaker system (around $85, so it's not low-end). I can use component for my Wii U just fine, but the problem is, if I wanted to use HDMI, I'd be stuck with crappy TV speakers, seeing as the TV doesn't have optical out, but has SPDIF. If there was to have all HDMI devices go from the TV to my speaker system, it would free up the component cable for the Wii. I wish Nintendo allowed multi-out like the PS3.

Something like this would be perfect for you then: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=8127&seq=1&format=2

That would take the SPDIF output from the tv and give you analog RCA hookups for your logitech speakers, would work for other sources too. For about $25 it's a fairly simple solution, otherwise I have seen some HDMI switches that have RCA outputs on them, but I doubt they'd be cheaper and your tv already has 4 inputs on it...

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something like this would be perfect for you then: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=8127&seq=1&format=2

That would take the SPDIF output from the tv and give you analog RCA hookups for your logitech speakers, would work for other sources too. For about $25 it's a fairly simple solution, otherwise I have seen some HDMI switches that have RCA outputs on them, but I doubt they'd be cheaper and your tv already has 4 inputs on it...
So how would it work from going from the HDMI ports to the TV and finally to the speakers? I'm not doubting that it would work, I just need a little explanation is all.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: DiscostewSM

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So how would it work from going from the HDMI ports to the TV and finally to the speakers? I'm not doubting that it would work, I just need a little explanation is all.

HDMI inputs into tv as they are now, and then the SPDIF output from the tv would go to this little box. Now you've got 2 analog channels that you can send to whatever you like. I'm guessing the logitech speakers just have a 3.5mm jack to be plugged into a computer or whatever (3.5mm is the same size as a standard 1/8" headphone jack). If so, you'll need a little adapter like this to go on the RCA connections and then you can plug your Logitech speakers in: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

Hopefully that makes sense...

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDMI inputs into tv as they are now, and then the SPDIF output from the tv would go to this little box. Now you've got 2 analog channels that you can send to whatever you like. I'm guessing the logitech speakers just have a 3.5mm jack to be plugged into a computer or whatever (3.5mm is the same size as a standard 1/8" headphone jack). If so, you'll need a little adapter like this to go on the RCA connections and then you can plug your Logitech speakers in: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

Hopefully that makes sense...

It does, actually, thanks for the detailed explanation!

its pretty much confirmed that it formats the WHOLE drive, even if you have a partition on it!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64674540

Well, that's f***ing asinine. Right now, I really have no use for a hard drive on the Wii U anyway as I've no intention to download full games from the internet. But still, not being able to format a specific partition....smooth move on their part. But, luckily a dedicated 250/320 GB HDD for the Wii U wouldn't be super expensive. Guess it's time to spam Nintendo's Facebook page and tech support email/

It wouldn't prompt me to format it if I use it for the Wii hacks in Wii Mode would it? Speaking of which, has anyone confirmed how many Wii exploits work?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It wouldn't prompt me to format it if I use it for the Wii hacks in Wii Mode would it? Speaking of which, has anyone confirmed how many Wii exploits work?

well according to that wii u hack video when he put his sd card into the system before he started up smash bros it automatically deleted the exploit so yeah i would be cautious about plugging in anything into the system especially if you have backed up data on the hard drive.

Chanser

:o
Trophies
XP
Country
Monaco
However, the problem we find here is that the USB ports on the Wii U generally do not seem to provide enough power - the 160GB 2.5-inch external HDD we connected to the console continually spun up and spun down, but did little else, as it does when connected to the unpowered USB port on a laptop. The same enclosure produced the same issue with 1TB and 320GB Samsung drives, but appeared to work fine when we swapped in an old SSD.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-u-review

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My Toshiba 1TB USB2 drive didn't want to power up properly at first (Clicking every few seconds and the system never popped up a format dialog), so I used one of these cables I had picked up a while ago on the cheap:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030303&p_id=5620&seq=1&format=2

Problem solved! For less than a dollar my USB HDD woes are solved, drive works perfect now and I've downloaded 3 full games from the eShop to it.

I had that problem today. I bought a 1tb drive and plugged it in and got through half a transfer before it stopped. I hadn't read the Nintendo site yet. They do recommend using a hdd with an external power supply. Apparently the Wii U power supply isn't good enough. I took the drive back an hour later. I plan to get another with external power. They cable you showed will work (even Nintendo said so) but I will prefer the extra power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it