Hardware Using USB HDDs with Wii U

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess my 500 GB Western Digital MyPassport won't work since it's USB-powered. Bollocks.

not to mention, I doubt I can use HDMI for video while using the red and white connectors for my stereo system since no one confirmed it

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the bright side, at least AC powered HDDs are pretty cheap these days, and are usually cheaper per GB compared to USB powered ones :)

Why should I have to buy another HDD? Why the hell wouldn't Nintendo allow those with non-self powered HDDs to use that? That's a pretty d**k move to me.

It's bad enough I can't use my stereo (component white/red) with an HDMI cable (like a PS3 multi out) on my TV.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's bad enough I can't use my stereo (component white/red) with an HDMI cable (like a PS3 multi out) on my TV.
It's confirmed? well I suppose they won't allow both at the same time (they don't understand user's needs), but let's hope until we test it. maybe a firmware update will enable it at later time, like PS3.

- Depending on the game played, we do not recommend using USB flash memory with games as there are strict limitations on the amount of times data can be overwritten.
That is a very strange concept. It could be that their WFS (WiiU File System) has piracy protection by limiting the amount of time you can transfer the same content? (like a DRM on PC games where you can only copy/burn/install it a limited time).
What I find bad in USB is that it's limited to downloaded content (I hoped we could store/install disc based games, to make the WiiU a USBLoader like Wii homebrew).
Maybe it's possible? or will be updated later? Nintendo is maybe not that kind to let us manage the games like we like.

- Only one USB hard disk may be connected to Wii U at a given time.
I saw a Japanese Nintendo Direct video explaining that you can connect two HDD and copy (transfer all partition?) to a bigger HDD.
I suppose they meant only one is usable for playing/displaying games on the console, but two HDD can be connected for transfer purpose.

That better not include the games themselves.
The games you will have on the USB are downloaded content, they can be downloaded again anytime from eShop/nintendo Network, like WiiWare/VC.

Reactions: HorreC

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Why should I have to buy another HDD? Why the hell wouldn't Nintendo allow those with non-self powered HDDs to use that? That's a pretty d**k move to me.

pretty sure i read somewhere, mightve been 'iwata asks', that portable hard drives with no AC adapter can use a USB -Y cable to supply extra power from the console.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They say that about the bus powered drives because a lot of them draw a bit more power than they're actually supposed to from the USB bus. So while it might work, I guess they wanted people to know ahead of time of a potential issue there.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'll probably need to go to Radio Shack and buy a USB Y-cable. Oh, well, but at least they'll work on it. Now, the next issue is multi A/V out (HDMI video red/white audio a-la PS3).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: Bus-powered USB hard drives will work, but some will need the Y-cable USB connector. That's a relief, and I doubt the MyPassport HDDs draw that much power.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop

It's probably for larger drives, 1 and 2TB drives draw more energy then a 320GB or 500 would. Makes sense, and it's a simple and cheaper fix to be completely honest. I wonder how well an SSD would work in a casing, because quite frankly I don't like mechanical drives that much.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Toshiba 1TB USB2 drive didn't want to power up properly at first (Clicking every few seconds and the system never popped up a format dialog), so I used one of these cables I had picked up a while ago on the cheap:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030303&p_id=5620&seq=1&format=2

Problem solved! For less than a dollar my USB HDD woes are solved, drive works perfect now and I've downloaded 3 full games from the eShop to it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That is a very strange concept. It could be that their WFS (WiiU File System) has piracy protection by limiting the amount of time you can transfer the same content? (like a DRM on PC games where you can only copy/burn/install it a limited time).
I think they're just referring to the fact that you can only write to Flash memory a certain number of times before it breaks.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But they are talking about USB HDD (usually not SSD), not the internal flash.
And even if it was the flash, it can support thousand of changes.
USB sticks are flash memory. And yeah I know that, but maybe certain games or something about the way files are handled change data a lot? You're not supposed to defragment them for example. I don't really know either :P

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if you can use a powered USB hub with your usb powered HDD (with the Wii U)? I use one when I use a USB powered HDD with my Wii, just so the USB HDD isn't drawing power from my Wii.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wonder if you can use a powered USB hub with your usb powered HDD (with the Wii U)? I use one when I use a USB powered HDD with my Wii, just so the USB HDD isn't drawing power from my Wii.
USB powered HDDs work with the WiiU as long as they don't draw too much power from it. And if they get power from the hub, that should work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good