• Views 7,171,031
  • Replies 29,364
  • Likes 48

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm trying to import some saves to use in GX, that were made in cfg usb loader. The saves from cfg are .raw and I'm not sure how to make that into a usable format, nor what format that may be.

Do you know what you are talking about?

What kind of saves are they? From a Wii game or Gamecube game or even from an emulator? (I bet GC as you are talking about .raw)
Usbloaders (cfg included) do not make any saves except their own config files or saves etc and they are NOT interchanegble.

Saves made by the games are native to the games themselves or the in case of GC memory emulation, are generated by the GC loaders (DM, Nintendont, Devlution). As long as you are using the same GC loader to run the games, there is no need of any conversion. Nothing related to the usbloaders anyway.

Last edited by tswntk,

Corrosive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually found out what happened. I've never checked the system memory on the wii before and had no idea that it's where ALL the loaders put their saves. Yes I assumed the saves folder on my usb was the wii games I've been playing -_-.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
plug-in system is planned, but I can't tell if nor when it will be done.
I work on the loader sporadically, and do things at my pace.

Alright, thanks for the quick response! Don't rush anything. Just wanted to mention it's "the only and last big feature" which GX is still missing.
I've always used GX and don't wanna switch over to WiiFlow (which I tried out several times just to cancel after a few minutes) but I'd definitely LOVE kinda "universal games + roms launcher with cover arts". :)

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Alright, thanks for the quick response! Don't rush anything. Just wanted to mention it's "the only and last big feature" which GX is still missing.
I've always used GX and don't wanna switch over to WiiFlow (which I tried out several times just to cancel after a few minutes) but I'd definitely LOVE kinda "universal games + roms launcher with cover arts". :)
Not to discourage you but look at the way wiiflow has to deal with the emulators.

Most emulator don't support argument passing or even allow auto-booting so, Wiiflow have to maintain a set of plugins (modified version of the emulators) which is a tedious job especially you have to update the plugins with each update of the emulators. It is a good thing (or really?) that most emulators have stopped development.
The setup of the plugins in Wiiflow is also confusing.

Usbloadergx is already facing potential memory capacity problems, it might be hard to implement more complex features. Don't expect this feature anytime soon.

one word comes to my mind - bloated. Trying to to implement everything into one universal apps might not be that good of an idea.
A separate app somewhat like Retroarch with cover support might work better.

Last edited by tswntk,

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I've been out of the game for a while but recently got a GameCube game from Japan and want to rip it and play it can someone plz tell me or point me in the right direction as to how I can do this plz? Thx

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Usbloadergx is already facing potential memory capacity problems, it might be hard to implement more complex features. Don't expect this feature anytime soon.
one word comes to my mind - bloated. Trying to to implement everything into one universal apps might not be that good of an idea.
Yes, that's not a feature I would like to add if it's only partially working, and needs additional maintenance after release.
I didn't look at the plugin system in Wiiflow, but I have my own idea how I would like the ".ini" to work, and I don't know if they will be compatible.
if/when I implement it, I'll try to make them compatible, instead of reinventing the wheel, but it might miss some data in the wiiflow one.

it's like the Tab mod, I like the idea, but don't want to release it like that, I would like to implement it correctly and seamlessly (not sure that word is what I want to tell). I want it to feel like it's the way the loader has always been working, and not feels like an added picture on top of the existing designs.

Like you said, I'm facing memory issue, so I don't know when it will be done.

when updating to the latest revision, the loader downloads boot.tmp and then it says the update failed (even though it was successful).
that's strange, I updated my version using internal mode (to test that feature), and it said "update successful, rebooting".
I thought it might be a download issue (if sourceforge block direct download from repository), but you said it updated correctly, so that message is strange.

jbuck1975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble with getting the usb loader gx to work on my softmodded wii. If I launch from the channel it reboots to wii menu. If i launch from homebrew it doesn't detect hard drive. Do i need to install ios58. If so do I have to remod my wii

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok I've been out of the game for a while but recently got a GameCube game from Japan and want to rip it and play it can someone plz tell me or point me in the right direction as to how I can do this plz? Thx
Just google how to use Nintendont.
Rip could be done with USB Loader GX I think but you would need Nintendont as a homebrew app in your SD card app folder in order to make USB Loader GX launch GC games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm having trouble with getting the usb loader gx to work on my softmodded wii. If I launch from the channel it reboots to wii menu. If i launch from homebrew it doesn't detect hard drive. Do i need to install ios58. If so do I have to remod my wii
If it doesn't detect your hard drive you may used the wrong USB port. You need the one nearer to the case's edge.

Reactions: laz305

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

More info, please.
What version (not "latest") of USB Loader GX are you using?
What version is your system menu?
Did you install the full channel or the forwarder? If the loader launches without an SD card or USB drive attached it's the full channel and is no longer supported.
What hard drive are you trying to use?

You should have IOS58 but it's not used for booting Wii games, only Gamecube. The Homebrew channel will tell you what it's using in the corner of the screen if you press Home while it's loaded.

jbuck1975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
V
More info, please.
What version (not "latest") of USB Loader GX are you using?
What version is your system menu?
Did you install the full channel or the forwarder? If the loader launches without an SD card or USB drive attached it's the full channel and is no longer supported.
What hard drive are you trying to use?

You should have IOS58 but it's not used for booting Wii games, only Gamecube. The Homebrew channel will tell you what it's using in the corner of the screen if you press Home while it's loaded.
Version 3 of usb loader gx, wii 4.2u, tried both channel and forwarder. Ive tried different versions of usb loader also.
The hard drive is a Toshiba 1tb

I've use
Just google how to use Nintendont.
Rip could be done with USB Loader GX I think but you would need Nintendont as a homebrew app in your SD card app folder in order to make USB Loader GX launch GC games.

If it doesn't detect your hard drive you may used the wrong USB port. You need the one nearer to the case's edge.
I've used the correct port

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @Cyan , thanks for all your help with USBGXL! I have another question --- whenever I navigate to the Ocarina section of a game and attempt to download the missing code files, I get the message "http://geckocodes.org/txt.php?txt=GAMEID is not found on the server." (where GAMEID is obviously the game ID). I checked to make sure that the URL is indeed valid on my computer, and when I do, I am able to successfully download the TXT file for the cheatcodes. My internet is working properly with everything else, so I am very sure that there is no problem with connection. Could you offer any advice?

jbuck1975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I redownloaded the all in one package. And put sd card in wii. Opened in homebrew and it worked. Now I've got to try doing the forwarder

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to install the forwarder with a WAD manager and remove the full channel if you have it installed. The full channel's title ID is "UNLR" and the forwarder is "UNEO".
Wii forwarder: here
Wii-U forwarder: here

Full channel version is discontinued and cannot update to the latest version (r1260). You can get r1260 here and just needs to be unzipped to an SD card or HDD.

I think you can just delete the full channel from the Wii system menu but it's more thorough to uninstall it completely with a wad manager. (WAD here if you want to do that but delete it after you use it so you don't accidentally reinstall it later. :))

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Squirps : I'll check the network request, but I thought it was fixed few revision ago.

jbuck:
version3 (or "all in one") is two years old.
latest release (not latest version) is revision 1260.
you see the revision number on the boot screen. If you don't, then you have an old one.

to launch channels, you need IOS58 installed on your console.
to know if you have IOS58, go into The Homebrew Channel, and press Home button. If you see "IOS58" at the top, it's fine.
if you don't see it, you will have to resoftmod your console (or just install IOS58, then reinstall HBC)

To change a game, you press Home > Exit
if you have the forwarder installed, you can return to the USBLoader when exiting a game instead of returning to the system menu.
you need to edit the Settings>Loader settings>return to : select USBLoaderGX, or UNEO.

BlazeHeatnix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I know this is a fairly minor problem, but it's still annoying the hell out of me. I still am getting a lot of Gamecube banners where the only sound is the standard Gamecube boot sound. I always have artwork, but rarely do I get sound. I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't EVERY Gamecube banner have custom sound to it? One example of a game that doesn't have it is Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg.

I've tried doing a custom path to other folders, I've updated to r1260, I've redownloaded them 3 times, nothing. If it helps at all, every game folder has a 6-letter ID added to it, NOT 4-letter. Every folder looks like "Game [XXXXXX]". I read this was mandatory for the loader to recognize the game at all. So all the banners have a 6-letter ID as well.

If I knew where the banners came from, I could download one myself and test it out to make sure it has nothing to do with the loader.

Last edited by BlazeHeatnix,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I believe USB Loader GX is supposed to only show a custom banner/sound if such a custom banner and sound have been downloaded. For some games, a custom banner and sound may simply not exist.

The GameCube itself never had banners and sounds, I believe (aside from the small little banners that were used in save files).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get...