XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
its called sparsing the disc image, if u use wiibackupmanager to transfer ISO's it will automatically take up less space ON DISC. But if u were to copy a sparsed ISO to another folder using windows explorer it will no longer be sparsed (it will take up the full 4.37 gigs for a SL disc)

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
unless of cause you set "Compress Drive" on when you right click on a NTFS drive, then all files that can be sparsed(if thats right) are highlighted in blue to show they are compressed

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
unless of cause you set "Compress Drive" on when you right click on a NTFS drive, then all files that can be sparsed(if thats right) are highlighted in blue to show they are compressed

To my knowledge, sparse and compressed are definitely NOT the same thing.

Unless I'm wrong, libNTFS does not support compressed folders.

synicasm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting.. So its like using a compressed drive but for 1 file.

For this to happen , with any amount of space saving success I assume the ISO source file gets scrubbed, and partitions deleted in the process with wii backup manager?

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
ClockWorK said:
pepxl said:

To my knowledge, sparse and compressed are definitely NOT the same thing.

Unless I'm wrong, libNTFS does not support compressed folders.

i think you might be right here

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
synicasm said:

For this to happen , with any amount of space saving success I assume the ISO source file gets scrubbed, and partitions deleted in the process with wii backup manager?

Sparse files are like virtual memory. You can write something to the beginning of the file & something at the 10gb mark. You can then seek back and forward to those points and read the data. But the space between those two points isn't allocated. NTFS has that built in, for FAT it has to be done at the software level (which is basically what WBFS & uloaders CISO does).

So for there to be any space saving at least the unused parts of the disc are going to be scrubbed, potentially the non game partitions too ( depends on the manager ).
uloaders isotociso automatically removes all non game partitions, so it's not particularly useful as an archival format.

Although unless the random data can be reproduced then only non scrubbed ISO images are.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blacksoul said:
dun4cheap said:
Livy said:
I'm having trouble with revision 914,
i have my sisters wii formated with ntfs. and transferred the game via wii backup manager as .iso's.

it loads up and shows the games on the hdd, but as soon as i click them, nothing happens.

happens on my wii too, and my wbfs hdd works fine. am i better using wbfs files, or reformatting to fat32?

the hdd used to be wbfs/fat32 and worked fine. but decided to go for one partition as its used for movies also.

cheers, david

Dmok and Giantpune, I think Livy has found a possible bug. I actually stumbled on to this problem the other day pin pointed it this evening. I recently helped a friend update a few Wii's and he setup the drives with NTFS. I already have an NTFS and WBFS drive on my Wii's as well. In any even I have been successfully running GX loader Rev. 899 without problems with NTFS and WBFS. When I set up the two other Wiis I put GX Loader Rev 914 on them and tested my WBFS drive on it and it worked. I didn't think anything more. Couple days goes by and my pal had setup 2 NTFS drives and tried them on the 2 hacked Wii's with rev 914. GX Loader loads up but when you select a game is does nothing other than the blue disc light goes solid Blue. (The WBFS drive works fine)

This evening I decided to update one of my Wii's with Hermes v5 and GX Loader Rec 919. In any event it did the same thing. I didn't start putting 2 and 2 together until I read Livy's post. So I started to investigate. At first I reverted back to Hermes v4. Same problem. So I decided to delete the gx loaders config files thinking it would be a similiar problem that we have with Hermes v3 compared to v4 issues with not working right. In any event deleting the config files did not work.

So I started trying different Rev. Numbers and found that all rev. beyond 899 seem to be causing the problem. So I am back with 899, but I was hoping to share some test info in hopes to squash this bug.

Maybe i need to delete something, add something I am not sure. I do know that I appreciate all the time you guys have put in to GX Loader so the least I could do is share my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks

Same issue here, the game doesn't load (black screen) but they are well detected (rev 916 and 919 - not tested the others - used to work great on rev 899 even rev 902 i think). Here is my configuration:

- cIOS38 rev17
- cIOS38 rev17 and Hermes v5
- cIOS57 rev18
- cIOS57 rev18 and Hermes v5

The same games works perfectly on cfgUsbLoader but it absolutely needs an Hermes cIOS.

NTFS partition and cIOS249 method for loading

EDiT:

rev 919 seems to work with this configuration:

- cIOS38 rev17 and Hermes v4

but some games have new issue :

- New Super Mario Bros. show the disclaimer and then stay stuck on a black screen
- Super Smash Bros Brawl shows an error : hd num sector doesn't match (maybe it's my mistake)

(these two games works with the same config under cfgUSBLoader but they're loaded with cIOS222 (Hermes v4)

Games in iso and wbfs don't even show up in rev 917 of gx usb loader when using fat flash/hard drives. I have rev18 57 and hermes v4 on 222 and 223. I have gone back to wbfs formatted drives because of this.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
blacksoul said:
dun4cheap said:
Livy said:
i have my sisters wii formated with ntfs. and transferred the game via wii backup manager as .iso's.

it loads up and shows the games on the hdd, but as soon as i click them, nothing happens.

happens on my wii too, and my wbfs hdd works fine. am i better using wbfs files, or reformatting to fat32?

the hdd used to be wbfs/fat32 and worked fine. but decided to go for one partition as its used for movies also.

cheers, david

Dmok and Giantpune, I think Livy has found a possible bug. I actually stumbled on to this problem the other day pin pointed it this evening. I recently helped a friend update a few Wii's and he setup the drives with NTFS. I already have an NTFS and WBFS drive on my Wii's as well. In any even I have been successfully running GX loader Rev. 899 without problems with NTFS and WBFS. When I set up the two other Wiis I put GX Loader Rev 914 on them and tested my WBFS drive on it and it worked. I didn't think anything more. Couple days goes by and my pal had setup 2 NTFS drives and tried them on the 2 hacked Wii's with rev 914. GX Loader loads up but when you select a game is does nothing other than the blue disc light goes solid Blue. (The WBFS drive works fine)

This evening I decided to update one of my Wii's with Hermes v5 and GX Loader Rec 919. In any event it did the same thing. I didn't start putting 2 and 2 together until I read Livy's post. So I started to investigate. At first I reverted back to Hermes v4. Same problem. So I decided to delete the gx loaders config files thinking it would be a similiar problem that we have with Hermes v3 compared to v4 issues with not working right. In any event deleting the config files did not work.

So I started trying different Rev. Numbers and found that all rev. beyond 899 seem to be causing the problem. So I am back with 899, but I was hoping to share some test info in hopes to squash this bug.

Maybe i need to delete something, add something I am not sure. I do know that I appreciate all the time you guys have put in to GX Loader so the least I could do is share my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks

Same issue here, the game doesn't load (black screen) but they are well detected (rev 916 and 919 - not tested the others - used to work great on rev 899 even rev 902 i think). Here is my configuration:

- cIOS38 rev17
- cIOS57 rev18

The same games works perfectly on cfgUsbLoader but it absolutely needs an Hermes cIOS.

EDiT:

- New Super Mario Bros. show the disclaimer and then stay stuck on a black screen
- Super Smash Bros Brawl shows an error : hd num sector doesn't match (maybe it's my mistake)

(these two games works with the same config under cfgUSBLoader but they're loaded with cIOS222 (Hermes v4)

Games in iso and wbfs don't even show up in rev 917 of gx usb loader when using fat flash/hard drives. I have rev18 57 and hermes v4 on 222 and 223. I have gone back to wbfs formatted drives because of this.
:facepalm:
You can't have cIOS38 rev17 and cIOS57 rev18, the one that was installed last would overwrite the previously installed Waninkoko cIOS

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
chartube12 said:
blacksoul said:
dun4cheap said:
Livy said:

cheers, david

Thanks

- cIOS38 rev17
- cIOS57 rev18

EDiT:

:facepalm:
You can't have cIOS38 rev17 and cIOS57 rev18, the one that was installed last would overwrite the previously installed Waninkoko cIOS

I didnt say I had ciso38 rev17...i have verison 917 of USB LOADER GX! facealm to you!

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Hello

Code dump on 919 with :

- rev18 (ios57)
- 1 TO EMTEC formatted with NTFS
- .wbfs on the NTFS partition

919 recognize my HDD, I've selected the NTFS partition and games are shown but launching every game gives me black screen then code dump.
"Reload" and then nothing (doesn't even reload in fact).

EDIT : tried with different cIOS REV (17 and 15) and 918.dol and FAT32 instead of NTFS.

Impossible.

Is 1 TO too large to be recognized ?

synicasm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
synicasm said:

Sparse files are like virtual memory. You can write something to the beginning of the file & something at the 10gb mark. You can then seek back and forward to those points and read the data. But the space between those two points isn't allocated. NTFS has that built in, for FAT it has to be done at the software level (which is basically what WBFS & uloaders CISO does).

So for there to be any space saving at least the unused parts of the disc are going to be scrubbed, potentially the non game partitions too ( depends on the manager ).
uloaders isotociso automatically removes all non game partitions, so it's not particularly useful as an archival format.

Although unless the random data can be reproduced then only non scrubbed ISO images are.
Thanks all for clearing this up, Im just looking to store the "game" part of the originals ( and possibly any channels that come with it ) to a format that hopefully will not require re-ripping the originals if nintendo or homebrew decides that the games I ripped now wont work later. At the same time not taking up 4.37G per game on my backup Drives. In regards to backups and saving time later I think it may be best "archivally" to Superdump rip to ISO then burn the ISO to DVD and store them. At least that way the Burned DVD's could be read back it using the PC and not having to go the Superdump to USB HD to PC to whatever the destination flavor of the month is..
laugh.gif

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OuahOuah said:
Hello

Code dump on 919 with :

- rev18 (ios57)

919 recognize my HDD, I've selected the NTFS partition and games are shown but launching every game gives me black screen then code dump.

EDIT : tried with different cIOS REV (17 and 15) and 918.dol and FAT32 instead of NTFS.

Impossible.

If you wish to run games from either a FAT or NTFS partition, make sure Hermes rev4 is installed as cios 222. if you did not install that, or if you installed another revision: It will not work!!!!!. Rev5 might work, but that is still a bit unreliable. So if you did not install hermes rev4, you WILL get a black screen or code dump!

And no, 1 TB is not too large to notice.

P.S.: If I'm a bit harsh in this post, then please except my apologies. I don't mean it that way, but I've had a couple of (heavy) beers
smile.gif

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
r-win said:
OuahOuah said:
Hello

Code dump on 919 with :

- rev18 (ios57)

Impossible.

If you wish to run games from either a FAT or NTFS partition, make sure Hermes rev4 is installed as cios 222. if you did not install that, or if you installed another revision: It will not work!!!!!. Rev5 might work, but that is still a bit unreliable. So if you did not install hermes rev4, you WILL get a black screen or code dump!

P.S.: If I'm a bit harsh in this post, then please except my apologies. I don't mean it that way, but I've had a couple of (heavy) beers
smile.gif

So, 249 Rev18 (57 base), can we expect FAT32 loading in the future, or is that not being worked on.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
r-win said:

smile.gif

Installed Hermes v4 in 222 as 38 and now, no more code dump, only black screeen and nothing more...
UBGX rev 919 and settings changed to "222" (seen at startup : it reloads 222).

EDIT : tried with uLoader 4.9A and works perfectly with a WBFS partition.
Tried with both cIOS 222 and 249 with WBFS partition with USB Loader GX = black screeen (and wiimote shutdown) !
I'm not even tied to rlaunch games from an NTFS/FAT32 partition, if I must use a WBFS one, it's ok but i'd like to use... the best loader (GX)
wink.gif

Will try Wiiflow...
Wiiflow works flawlessly with my WBFS partition
frown.gif
(cIOS249rev18)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While fat32 will show up. GX will not detect the games at all on a fat32. Not even with hermies (i have hermies rev4 on both 222 and 223) Wanko say's the loader needs to be up dated for it to work. So I guess I'll be waiting awhile.

WBFS partition still worked with me using cIOS249rev18 on 57. However I'm still using USB loader gx rev 917 as a channel.

Until yesterday I thought 917 was the lastest. The channel verison doesn't seem to detect updates. Since it is working fine for me with WBFS I'm staying with it, until rev with true fat32 game support comes out.

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WBFS partitions still work fine.

I am running hermes 222v4 and 223 based on ios60v4. I am also using wani's cios 17. With REv 899 everything works. Moving to 900+ with the NTFS drive the games show but wont load when clicked on. If I put an WBFS drive with games on it works. With Rev 919 I get the code dump. I have to select my NTFS partition and code dump.

I am not sure if its a Backupmanager Naming Convention change or what I use Wii Backup Manager since it supports all the formats. Fig has done a great job with that app.

Anyhow, any ideas would be great.

aml435

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty much running into the same thing on a FAT setup. Discs all show up, but they no longer load, which they did before I updated usbloadergx.
I was on cios 17 and hermes v4 and have also tried upgrading to ciosx 18 and hermes v5. Same result. Titles show but everything blackscreens and disconnects the controller.

Edit: After some experimenting, I found that in my case (which was blackscreening on everything with FAT, not NTFS) deleting all the hermes CIOSs with any title deleter and then doing a fresh reinstall of hermes rev 4 fixed my problems. It must have been corrupted somehow, though I'm not sure how.

dun4cheap said:
WBFS partitions still work fine.

I am running hermes 222v4 and 223 based on ios60v4. I am also using wani's cios 17. With REv 899 everything works. Moving to 900+ with the NTFS drive the games show but wont load when clicked on. If I put an WBFS drive with games on it works. With Rev 919 I get the code dump. I have to select my NTFS partition and code dump.

I am not sure if its a Backupmanager Naming Convention change or what I use Wii Backup Manager since it supports all the formats. Fig has done a great job with that app.

Anyhow, any ideas would be great.

dclayp11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Thanks For The Loader.

Rev 896 i believe
Herm Rev v4
Wank Rev 17

I have 2 wii and one works fine, but i just got the secound and went throught the steps to allow the loader and homebrew applications.
When i attempt to rip a game i recieve the error " couldnt open disk" every thing works fine on other wii

The serial Number of the new one starts with lu1 and so on.

I have reinstalled all of herm and wank twice.

Any help , feed back or suggestions would be great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do surplus again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd do surplus again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of... +1