• Views 7,257,244
  • Replies 29,388
  • Likes 48

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't started on USBloader GX (no HDD), but I remembered that my PSP has a 8GB memory stick. I had a few questions regarding how (and if) it'd be possible to use my PSP temporarily.

1. First off, has anyone had success with their PSP-1001 showing up as an HDD? I looked at the compatibility and it seemed positive (if I remember correctly), but it's always good to have others opinions.

2. USBloader GX has a disc->HDD dumper, correct? Would I be able to dump games to my PSP if it had an unallocated space to be partitioned to WBFS?

3. If I were to partition my PSP's memory stick with a program, would I be able to revert it back to normal afterward? I use my PSP frequently and would like to still be able to use it in future.

4. When partitioning the HDD, I need to keep part of it as FAT32 for the config and various other files, correct?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I just want to be careful. If anyone can help, it'd bemuch appreciated.

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Devil May Cry said:
I haven't started on USBloader GX (no HDD), but I remembered that my PSP has a 8GB memory stick. I had a few questions regarding how (and if) it'd be possible to use my PSP temporarily.

1. First off, has anyone had success with their PSP-1001 showing up as an HDD? I looked at the compatibility and it seemed positive (if I remember correctly), but it's always good to have others opinions.

2. USBloader GX has a disc->HDD dumper, correct? Would I be able to dump games to my PSP if it had an unallocated space to be partitioned to WBFS?

3. If I were to partition my PSP's memory stick with a program, would I be able to revert it back to normal afterward? I use my PSP frequently and would like to still be able to use it in future.

4. When partitioning the HDD, I need to keep part of it as FAT32 for the config and various other files, correct?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I just want to be careful. If anyone can help, it'd bemuch appreciated.
1+2. Just use the memory card as it is just make a folder called wbfs on the root of the card and put the psp in usb mode hook it up and turn on your wii should work ok no need for partitioning

when your done with using the psp for the wii you can just delete the wbfs folder to remove the games

4. you can use the whole thing as fat32 if you wanted works just as good as wbfs

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
Devil May Cry said:

1+2. Just use the memory card as it is just make a folder called wbfs on the root of the card and put the psp in usb mode hook it up and turn on your wii should work ok no need for partitioning

when your done with using the psp for the wii you can just delete the wbfs folder to remove the games

4. you can use the whole thing as fat32 if you wanted works just as good as wbfs
I've read that people have been having more errors with fat32 and that other type (NTFS?). If I do it your way will I get .iso or .wbfs games? Although GX is my goal, I can at least use NeoGamma's disc loader in the meantime.

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
Probably .wbfs games

GX can read fat32 and .wbfs files

Is there a WBFS->ISO converter? It sounded like WBFS Manager might, but it's Features section is quite clear to me. Wait, would GX scrub the .wbfs files as I rip the game? Cause that would make ISO conversion pretty screwed over.

rumsey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
longtom1 said:
Probably .wbfs games

GX can read fat32 and .wbfs files

Is there a WBFS->ISO converter? It sounded like WBFS Manager might, but it's Features section is quite clear to me. Wait, would GX scrub the .wbfs files as I rip the game? Cause that would make ISO conversion pretty screwed over.
wii backup manager will do it

Dantarion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
It's possible to load Brawl+ via USB using the "Snapshot" method.
With this, we no longer have to worry about the snapshot method, and can get rid of it in the final release. Now that Configurable and GX support it, all we need is a CRAP like autobooter, and Brawl+ just got simpler for anyone running it from USB.

QUOTE(GolfDude @ Feb 27 2010, 11:41 PM) rev 919 has brawl plus support here and it works with the full code list in 1 file, no snapshot method needed... they updated gecko in gx as well..

Good to hear dimok got the changes from that .dol he posted into GX so quickly. On behalf of the entire Brawl+ team, I thank you
tongue.gif

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GolfDude said:
rev 919 has brawl plus support here and it works with the full code list in 1 file, no snapshot method needed... they updated gecko in gx as well..
axactly how do you get it to work?

do you use the gct file or the txt file?

what do i turn on in the cheat menu?

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emptied out my PSP, made a wbfs folder. Tried it in GX, asked me to make a partition. Whichever partition I pick, I get code dumps. I'm using xzxero's bundle along with the latest release of USBloaderGX (not the latest revision). Any advice? Did I do something stupid again?

EDIT: I formatted my PSP's stick from fat32 to NTFS. The Wii registered it like before, but instead of giving me 4 partition options, only one was there. I tried it and it worked. It didn't give the entire space up though, just half (password protected feature?). I was able to dump a game. From there though, I'm stuck. The computer registers that a Memory Stick is plugged in but says it needs to be formatted. I'm not really sure what to do in Wii Backup Manager yet, but there was no obvious sign that it detected anything. Any words of wisdom? Assume stupidity bashing? I'll take either, both help me get the hold of this newfangled contraption.

EDIT 2: Okay, so I decided after re-formatting to fat32 in defeat, that I should just keep the dumps on the PSP anyways. I don't use it at the house much and I have no travel plans, so what the heck. I do the same stuff in the first edit and this time decide to see if the games will show up after reloading GX. Upon my "surprise", they didn't show up. However, I could now use all of Memory Stick instead of half! I re-dumped my game and although it took WAAAYYYY longer, it actually showed up on GX after it finished dumping. Does this mean that this was a successful dump? Also, does this mean I formatted my entire Memory Stick to WBFS? It did say "7.44 GB out of 7.45 GB space remaining", but I've seen similar with other readers. If I did this alright, how can I get this dump on my computer? Wii Backup Manager didn't seem to have a feature that stuck out to me, so I left it alone to be safe.

Skiller

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is there any way to get the thing to rename the game names .. the wiitdb Naming thing does not seem to rename the game .. unless thats not what its ment to do as well as give u the Info on them.
tongue.gif

if thats right is there anyway to set it up to take a file formated like this

RJ2E52=007 Quantum of Solace(NTSC)
RYEEEB=101-in-1 Party Megamix(NTSC)
SBLE5G=A boy and his blob(NTSC)
R33E69=AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack(NTSC)
R5FE41=Academy of Champions(NTSC)
RGYE5Z=Action Girlz(NTSC)
REJEAF=ACTIVE LIFE: EXTREME CHALLENGE(NTSC)
RFAEAF=Active Life: Outdoor Challenge(NTSC)
R9AE52=Activision Demo Action Pack(NTSC)
RQTE6U=Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None(NTSC)
RQEE6U=Agatha Christie - Evil Under The Sun(NTSC)

and have it Rename all the games in your list to what ever is in this list ?

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livy said:
I'm having trouble with revision 914,
i have my sisters wii formated with ntfs. and transferred the game via wii backup manager as .iso's.

it loads up and shows the games on the hdd, but as soon as i click them, nothing happens.

happens on my wii too, and my wbfs hdd works fine. am i better using wbfs files, or reformatting to fat32?

the hdd used to be wbfs/fat32 and worked fine. but decided to go for one partition as its used for movies also.

cheers, david

Dmok and Giantpune, I think Livy has found a possible bug. I actually stumbled on to this problem the other day pin pointed it this evening. I recently helped a friend update a few Wii's and he setup the drives with NTFS. I already have an NTFS and WBFS drive on my Wii's as well. In any even I have been successfully running GX loader Rev. 899 without problems with NTFS and WBFS. When I set up the two other Wiis I put GX Loader Rev 914 on them and tested my WBFS drive on it and it worked. I didn't think anything more. Couple days goes by and my pal had setup 2 NTFS drives and tried them on the 2 hacked Wii's with rev 914. GX Loader loads up but when you select a game is does nothing other than the blue disc light goes solid Blue. (The WBFS drive works fine)

This evening I decided to update one of my Wii's with Hermes v5 and GX Loader Rec 919. In any event it did the same thing. I didn't start putting 2 and 2 together until I read Livy's post. So I started to investigate. At first I reverted back to Hermes v4. Same problem. So I decided to delete the gx loaders config files thinking it would be a similiar problem that we have with Hermes v3 compared to v4 issues with not working right. In any event deleting the config files did not work.

So I started trying different Rev. Numbers and found that all rev. beyond 899 seem to be causing the problem. So I am back with 899, but I was hoping to share some test info in hopes to squash this bug.

Maybe i need to delete something, add something I am not sure. I do know that I appreciate all the time you guys have put in to GX Loader so the least I could do is share my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Devil May Cry said:

wbfs_file.exe can do it.

GX can just dump the game partition, all partitions or the entire disc.

.wbfs files are effectively sparse files, that work without filesystem support.

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
Devil May Cry said:

wbfs_file.exe can do it.

GX can just dump the game partition, all partitions or the entire disc.

.wbfs files are effectively sparse files, that work without filesystem support.
Where exactly in GX is the option to change that. I'm getting dumps that aren't 4.37 GB, so I'm guessing I'm just doing the game partition. I'd need to change the setting for the entire disc for now. Since I don't have an HDD to use with GX yet, I'd at least like to burn a copy to play for now.

blacksoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dun4cheap said:
Livy said:
I'm having trouble with revision 914,
i have my sisters wii formated with ntfs. and transferred the game via wii backup manager as .iso's.

it loads up and shows the games on the hdd, but as soon as i click them, nothing happens.

happens on my wii too, and my wbfs hdd works fine. am i better using wbfs files, or reformatting to fat32?

the hdd used to be wbfs/fat32 and worked fine. but decided to go for one partition as its used for movies also.

cheers, david

Dmok and Giantpune, I think Livy has found a possible bug. I actually stumbled on to this problem the other day pin pointed it this evening. I recently helped a friend update a few Wii's and he setup the drives with NTFS. I already have an NTFS and WBFS drive on my Wii's as well. In any even I have been successfully running GX loader Rev. 899 without problems with NTFS and WBFS. When I set up the two other Wiis I put GX Loader Rev 914 on them and tested my WBFS drive on it and it worked. I didn't think anything more. Couple days goes by and my pal had setup 2 NTFS drives and tried them on the 2 hacked Wii's with rev 914. GX Loader loads up but when you select a game is does nothing other than the blue disc light goes solid Blue. (The WBFS drive works fine)

This evening I decided to update one of my Wii's with Hermes v5 and GX Loader Rec 919. In any event it did the same thing. I didn't start putting 2 and 2 together until I read Livy's post. So I started to investigate. At first I reverted back to Hermes v4. Same problem. So I decided to delete the gx loaders config files thinking it would be a similiar problem that we have with Hermes v3 compared to v4 issues with not working right. In any event deleting the config files did not work.

So I started trying different Rev. Numbers and found that all rev. beyond 899 seem to be causing the problem. So I am back with 899, but I was hoping to share some test info in hopes to squash this bug.

Maybe i need to delete something, add something I am not sure. I do know that I appreciate all the time you guys have put in to GX Loader so the least I could do is share my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks

Same issue here, the game doesn't load (black screen) but they are well detected (rev 916 and 919 - not tested the others - used to work great on rev 899 even rev 902 i think). Here is my configuration:

- cIOS38 rev17
- cIOS38 rev17 and Hermes v5
- cIOS57 rev18
- cIOS57 rev18 and Hermes v5

The same games works perfectly on cfgUsbLoader but it absolutely needs an Hermes cIOS.

NTFS partition and cIOS249 method for loading

EDiT:

rev 919 seems to work with this configuration:

- cIOS38 rev17 and Hermes v4

but some games have new issue :

- New Super Mario Bros. show the disclaimer and then stay stuck on a black screen
- Super Smash Bros Brawl shows an error : hd num sector doesn't match (maybe it's my mistake)

(these two games works with the same config under cfgUSBLoader but they're loaded with cIOS222 (Hermes v4)

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:
Which version is now stable and better?
Should I use Hermes v5 ?
Is it safe or stick to my old Hermes version ?

Thanks.
give it a couple of more days to support the new cIOS then update.

Mithie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, I've been trying to use my external harddrive both for Wii games and PS2 games. I've formatted the harddrive into 2 partitions and using the WBFS file system for the wii games. The problem is that USB Loader GX only loads games when I format the Wii partition first. If I format it after I've made the PS2 partition, it won't load the games at all, all I get is a blank list (I guess it's trying to load games from the PS2 partition?). Is there any way I can get it to load from the other partition?

The easy solution is obviously to simply format the Wii partition first, but unfortunately I get exactly the same problem on my PS2 then: It loads fine if I format the PS2 partition first, but it freezes and won't do anything if the Wii partiton is first.

I'm using IOS 249 and rev 899 of the loader. Will a newer version (919 is the newest, isn't it?) fix this problem? I would've simply tried it myself, but I don't have a NAND backup yet and the download page says that a new revision might brick my Wii.

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my revision to 899 and enabled 1:1 copy while setting partitions to all. I go to install game and it still shows up as less than 4.37 GB. It's more than my previous installs, but I think because those were game only. Also, why are the rips taking so long? Is it because I'm using a PSP? I'm seeing 0.1 MB/s.

Also, I'm trying to convert wbfs files into iso files through Wii Backup Manager and even though the log said everything went over fine, there is no iso file to be seen. The tmp file isn't around either. Looking at my available space, it seems no copy was made on either the PSP or the computer.

EDIT:

@above poster ^^^

You can use fat and ntfs with GX. You just need a wbfs folder. I was trying to make a partition too, but it was giving me a major hassle (I'm using a PSP memory stick).

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, everything seems to be in order for me right now. I do have one last question though:

I plan to use a large HDD sometime in the future. When I get one, I'll most likely rip my backups and use those ISOs. Is there a way to make those ISOs into wbfs files that are like those ripped with GX? I mean relative to size. For instance, Wii Play was around 100 MB. Can I make a 4.37 GB ISO into a 100ishMB wbfs file? Thanks for all your help guys/gals.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/rI5IRxpcwDk?si=g8PPkbkjsSuwpjZW +1