Hacking Question USB C to USB A cable

ThirdEyeCx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that decision is ultimately up to you. I can only warn people away from unregulated cables. You are not guaranteed to brick your switch right away with an unregulated cable, but each time you plug it in you are playing a game of chance.

If it were my decision personally, I would spend a couple bucks for a safe cable over buying a new switch / battery.
Thank you for the info. Yeah I'm not going to take any chances. I'm pretty lucky that it didn't fry my Switch the 2 or 3 times I did use it to fully charge it. I'll purchase a safer cable and perhaps an OTG adapter if I need to ever load stuff from my phone on the go.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe that decision is ultimately up to you. I can only warn people away from unregulated cables. You are not guaranteed to brick your switch right away with an unregulated cable, but each time you plug it in you are playing a game of chance.

If it were my decision personally, I would spend a couple bucks for a safe cable over buying a new switch / battery.
Actually one more thing. I just realized that I have an Anker Micro USB to USB-C adapter which does use a 56K ohm resistor. Couldn't that work as well if I use it on a quality micro USB cable I already own? Benson Leung actually left a great review for it on Amazon so I believe it should probably be fine.

Last edited by ThirdEyeCx,
Reactions: Shadow LAG

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the info. Yeah I'm not going to take any chances. I'm pretty lucky that it didn't fry my Switch the 2 or 3 times I did use it to fully charge it. I'll purchase a safer cable and perhaps an OTG adapter if I need to ever load stuff from my phone on the go.

Actually one more thing. I just realized that I have an Anker Micro USB to USB-C adapter which does use a 56K ohm resistor. Couldn't that work as well if I use it on a quality micro USB cable I already own? Benson Leung actually left a great review for it on Amazon so I believe it should probably be fine.

That should be fine. 56k ohm is really all that matters

Reactions: ThirdEyeCx

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
This is another episode that, sorry, shows you that people are blabbering idiots (would have used a stronger word - if I could have though of one), when it comes to problem dissemination, who will take idiot shortcuts (brands, names, review - by "that person"), over anything resembling an objectified fact.

tldr; is still "buy your "certified 56k ohm resistor cables only"".

But the whole story is far from what people in here believe it is.

So here is the thing. All "fast charging capable devices" (devices capable of negotiating/drawing 3A (amps)) are affected. The Switch can negotiate/draw up to 3A so it falls under that category.

BUT. No really. BUT.

Benson "i leave amazon reviews as a google engineer, because thats my venue of talking to the world" Leungs "potentially harmful" scenario suggests the following.

Charger is of the "fast charging type", and will permit 2A. Resistor in the cable is 10k ohms instead of 56k ohms, so the 3A capable end device (think Nintendo Switch or Nexus 6) identifies the 2A providing device as "capable of providing 3A" and will draw 3A, thereby potentially damaging the power source. So not the Switch, the charger.

Theres a Verge journalist that would tell you otherwise, but more on that later.

I'll reference this chart provided by "we use 10k ohm resistors despite spec requiring 56k ohm resistors, because we think its funny" Oneplus:
table-png.400352

- which although marketing "outfall mitigation", makes sense to me. (src: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/in-response-to-the-type-c-cable-discussions.412344/)

Benson "lets talk through amazon reviews" Leung also had an unrelated issue - where CHARGING his Chromebook (in this case the power receiver) through a 2A providing fast charger, fried his Chromebook, but this was not due to the "wrong" 10k ohm resistor, but due to the cable being entirely misswired:
I directly analyzed the Surjtech cable using a Type-C breakout board and a multimeter, and it appears that they completely miswired the cable. The GND pin on the Type-A plug is tied to the Vbus pins on the Type-C plug. The Vbus pin on the Type-A plug is tied to GND on the Type-C plug.
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2XDBFUD9CTN2R/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Thats an unrelated, and presumably much, much rarer issue.
-

Now on to the curious case of the questionable (?) Verge journalist.

Dieter Bohn, executive editor at the Verge "fried" his "Macbook Air usb ports" (Power Source) while charging his Nexus 6P with a "10k ohm cable". according to this cnet article ( https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-cable-problems/ ) which actually provides more information, than his own article on the verge.

How he managed to do so - is entirely suspect.

Here is why. The phone only should enter "3A quickcharge mode", when mistakingly detecting a 2A power source, as a 3A power source, due to the wrongly used 10k ohm resistor. He used the right, wrong cable (faulty cable, 10k ohm resistor), but how a Macbook Airs USB ports would provide anything close to 2A, so the phone could enter fast charge mode and draw 3A is entirely alien to me.

This one goes out to all the electrical engineers in the audience. If you know of any way, that this configuration could fry a USB A port on part of the charger, please provide your thoughts even though they might be speculative. (500 mah output being overdriven, by the phone wrongly drawing 1.5A, or 2A because of the 10k ohm resistor?) In all likelyhood, what should have happened is trickle charging, as the phone doesn't identify a 3A source. (Macbook AIr USB ports shouldnt be able to fast charge anything.)

Nothing that our Amazon loving google engineer provided concerns anything close to this. But still, it might be a thing.

Although, its a "as speculative as they come", isolated report, from a "the verge" hipster. So ask yourself - would you trust this guy?

ewoBkqq.jpg

;)

Also, according to Dieter Bohn, he "fried" his Macbook Airs USB ports into a state where, sometimes they would work, and sometimes they wouldn't. Which only adds to the highly suspect nature of the report.
---

Now notice, that the device that gets charged - only was damaged in ONE of those cases, namely the "completely misswired USB cable" in our Leung review listed above. In all 10k ohm resistor (which is also not spec, and wrong, but not completely misswired) related cases - only the power source has taken damage, or ever was under risk of doing so.

Which means all the reports of 3RD party hdmi hocking stations frying the Switch likely are due to an unrelated (to "needs 56k ohm resistor") issue (wrong wireing, shorting out...?).

Also, if the Switch in RCM mode doesnt, for an unknown reason, decide to be a host that "charges things" - it never should be negatively effected.
--

But thats just pure logic.

Something all articles from the verge, and the guardian fail at - completely. And the cnet one does partly.

Also - please never use youtube videos from "proessional youtubers" as sources. In most cases, they are even more confused, than the journalists which articles they read out loud proclaiming, that its their "knowledge". Also - sifting through a 10 minute verbal operetta, to "feel" the point a youtuber is making, is unfit for any even pseudoscientific elaboration. You simply can't reference arguments, by just linking to lengthy youtube videos.

edit: This randomly pulled up superuser.com report lends potential credence to the verge report:
Since the cable does not know which port you will plug it in, the safe cable pull-up should be 56k, otherwise the phone can try to suck 1.5A or even 3A from the cable. If the port is a regular USB, the requested cable power may vastly exceed port's capability. With cheap uncontrolled power delivery (some cheap PC mainboards connect the VBUS directly to internal +5VSTBY), it will cause system shutdown.
- if Apple would have used cheap usb power delivery not connected to a power regulator. ;) (The part in question that this one seems to "verify" is, that the 3A capable end device may negotiate voltages in between 500mA and 3A, which still might potentially be harmful to the power source (so not only 3A), which was one of my white spots before. Also, please notice "system shutdown", not "permanent damage". ;) ). Credibility level is "random guy on superuser.com". ;)

https://superuser.com/questions/1100903/how-do-i-work-out-if-a-usb-c-cable-is-safe-to-use

Last edited by notimp,

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one goes out to all the electrical engineers in the audience. If you know of any way, that this configuration could fry a USB A port on part of the charger, please provide your thoughts even though they might be speculative. (500 mah output being overdriven, by the phone wrongly drawing 1.5A, or 2A because of the 10ohm resistor?) In all likelyhood, what should have happened is trickle charging, as the phone doesn't identify a 3A source. (Macbook AIr USB ports shouldnt be able to fast charge anything.)
Nothing that our Amazon loving google engineer provided concerns anything close to this. But still, it might be a thing.

That is the very issue a lot of people overlook. Without the resistor being up to spec (56k ohms), and the A side missing the required pins to communicate proper voltage to the client device, the client device will pull as much current as the 10k ohm resistor will allow. This can short out the host as it will not be able to handle the draw, which in turn can also damage your device. Ever have a dead USB port that kills all your devices?

There are sources around the net you can reference regarding the dangers of improper regulation. One quick search yielded this discussion:
https://superuser.com/a/1104229
Now, what to do if you have only a legacy Type-A port on your host, as most PCs do? The Type-A does not have any extra pins like CC. The Type-C Specification suggests embedding this information into the Type-C end of the legacy A->C cable. Therefore, the “information channel” is broken now, and the phone will try to grab as much current as the pull-up resistor inside the Type-C overmold indicates, which is soldered by cable’s manufacturer. Since the cable does not know which port you will plug it in, the safe cable pull-up should be 56k, otherwise the phone can try to suck 1.5A or even 3A from the cable. If the port is a regular USB, the requested cable power may vastly exceed port's capability. With cheap uncontrolled power delivery (some cheap PC mainboards connect the VBUS directly to internal +5VSTBY), it will cause system shutdown.

If the port is powerful enough, but the cable in use is skinny (Type-C cables can have as low as 28AWG on VBUS and GND wires) and the C-connector has wrong 10k pull-up, the cable might burn out and cause fire.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edit: This randomly pulled up superuser.com report lends potential credence to the verge report:

- if Apple would have used cheap usb power delivery not connected to a power regulator. ;) (The part in question that this one seems to "verify" is, that the 3A capable end device may negotiate voltages in between 500mA and 3A, which still might potentially be harmful to the power source (so not only 3A), which was one of my white spots before. Also, please notice "system shutdown", not "permanent damage". ;) ). Credibility level is "random guy on superuser.com". ;)

https://superuser.com/questions/1100903/how-do-i-work-out-if-a-usb-c-cable-is-safe-to-use

I'm not sure why you are editing your post instead of replying as that makes the chain of communication very confusing. Also I think we are talking about two different things. You seem to be referencing the Benson Macbook case primarily, where as my response was more aimed at how a cable can damage a client device. The point here is the legacy end cables are meant to be regulated properly by 56k ohm resistor by regulating the draw since 10k ohm resistance allows for higher current to be pulled. If a current is being pulled from a host that cannot handle the draw, it can damage the host which should be basic logic. I don't know why that is even up for debate. A shorted host, fire / burning to a cable, out of spec cables with improper resistors and you don't think that can damage the client device? I'm very confused.

Aside from you personally disagreeing with the countless reports on the internet, USB-IF compliance, company warnings, a google engineer, and citing a spreadsheet from the manufacturer that created the out of spec cable, I'm not seeing any attempt on your part to provide supporting sources. If all 10k ohm resistor cables did was provide trickle charging and do no harm, then why would the market update the compliance and warn against using anything under 56k ohms for A to C cables? For fun?

Credibility level,
Engineering
the rational stance of supporting the overwhelming consensus / findings of prominent individuals in the field of computer science / engineering, USB-IF compliance, and media warnings.
Nintendo: https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/34073/p/8664 (use google translate if required)
Amazon: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-bans-usb-type-c-cables-2016-3
the "random guy on superuser" is also an engineer. You can refrence his bio here:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/users/117785/ali-chen

At the end of the day, I'm too exhausted to debate the subject further when the evidence is overwhelming: A-C Cables under 56k ohms can damage components.

For anyone reading this, just do a quick google search yourself.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quote from USB.org:

Products that pass this level of acceptability are added to the Integrators List and have the right to license the USB-IF Logo.

So basically, if you want to play it safe, look for a product that uses said logo. I can't post any links or images, but you can easily just look up "USB-IF Logo" in Google Images for some examples of what to look for. Also, apparently Amazon was cracking down pretty hard on this whole debacle back in 2016. I'm not sure if they've maintained strict crackdowns since then, but I imagine they still keep an eye on it. Ultimately, just use common sense in that:

1) Look for something that says that it uses 56k Ohm in its product description.
2) Look for something that has favorable reviews, and make sure to read some reviews, even the bad ones.
3) Be on the look out for sketchy-looking brands and products.
4) Look for something that can ship through Amazon Prime. Usually, Prime is only offered for premium-grade brands and products.
5) Check for the aforementioned USB-IF Logo.

If you are still unsure about the product in question, USB.org has generously made a list of certified products available. I can't post links as a new member, but just Google "USB Type-C Cable Certifications.pdf". It should be the first result.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Aside from you personally disagreeing with the countless reports on the internet, USB-IF compliance, company warnings, a google engineer, and citing a spreadsheet from the manufacturer that created the out of spec cable, I'm not seeing any attempt on your part to provide supporting sources. If all 10k ohm resistor cables did was provide trickle charging and do no harm, then why would the market update the compliance and warn against using anything under 56k ohms for A to C cables? For fun?
Thats only the case - if you, really - really don't want to follow the source links provided. FYI - I've also read all links you've provided in your arguments on page one and read them (because they pointed to presumably reputable sources), and those have been my secondary sources for the information provided.

edit: They are as follows:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/30/amazon-clamps-down-dangerous-usb-c-cables
https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-cable-problems/
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-find-safe-usb-type-c-cables

Now to the part where all of what you pull is ego over substance, and fake correlation over causation.

The point here is the legacy end cables are meant to be regulated properly by 56k ohm resistor by regulating the draw since 10k ohm resistance allows for higher current to be pulled.
Thats entirely false for instance. Not the resistor is regulating the draw, the device thats getting charged is deciding the power its going to pull based on the value it reads on the line with the resistor in it. If the resistor is not according to spec - it can decide to pull more, than the charging device is able to provide. This also has nothing to do with "legacy cables" or cheap chinese manufacturing (not a thing that can be generalized to this level), this has to do with manufacturing not according to spec.

Other aspects you completely ignore are as follows:

The device providing power can make sure to only provide as much amperage as it is speced to, over usb - using its own power regulation circuits, in which case - no harm will be done. > Power regulators on part of the charging device, being able to prevent any issues at all (although, to side with caution, you probably shouldn't bank on just them).

What devices are at danger of being damaged (always the ones providing charge - in the 10k ohm cables case, never the one being charged).

Only one documented, HIGHLY UNLIKELY report, of a verge hipster ruining his Macbook Air usb ports "so they only function "intermittently" (every second time?)" - that way (Macbook doesnt have voltage regulations against being overdriven?), while thousands of people might have used their charging cables in similar ways.

F.e. the entire Oneplus community dealt with said cables for at least two product generations (Oneplus 2 and 3), and never ever - one of their customers used that cable to charge their phone from his laptop - and thereby fried his/her usb port? Stuff like that is completely unlikely - to my analytical mind. ;) Its much more likely - that the verge guy, pulled a story out of his mind, when his USB ports crept out...

As to why are people replacing wires with 56k ohm resistor ones - presumably mostly because of marketing reasons, and MAYBE - to prevent potential damage to chargers capable of delivering 2A - without power regulation circuits. But seemingly not to "save all tha phones" - because thats pretty much a non issue...

Now, you can pull up names, labels, and brands (this certification body verifies things, trust its label (it does, please do), all day long - the impression that a 10k ohm cable could ruin your Switch - according to the information we have, and that you provided via the news articles is incorrect.

According to whom you believe it might ruin your PCs USB ports though, although I'd argue, that maybe even that isn't entirely likely.

Also - as for the one journalist who actually did research on this, he stated the following:

It's also important to know that a resistor wasn't responsible for Leung's own fried laptop. According to the Google engineer, that cable was completely miswired.

The cutoff switch
Here's where the experts disagree. Aren't laptops designed to protect against damage like this?

Dell says their laptops are. Jason Lee, the company's lead engineer on XPS notebooks, says that not only are Dell's USB ports protected against voltage drops and short circuits, but they will also automatically restart themselves as soon as they cool down. No need to restart your computer.

And HP's Atkinson says such protections aren't just limited to Dell; they're standard practice for the computer industry. "With everything I've ever seen -- and we've been shipping USB-A since 1997 -- if there's a short circuit, the port just shuts off. That's existed forever." Atkinson points out that even with previous versions of USB, a cable could get damaged, and the industry adopted overcurrent and overvoltage protection circuits to keep the computers safe.

Today, "If you threw molten metal into the connector itself, it'd essentially just shut down," he says.

But Saunders, chairman of the USB-IF standards body, says he's not aware of any protection against a completely miswired cable like the one that struck down Leung's Chromebook Pixel. "That was something that the circuits of his notebook can't protect against," he says.

And UL -- one of the organizations " throwing the molten metal," as it were -- doesn't seem to think that these protection circuits are truly an industry standard.

"If all of them did, that would be one thing," UL's Drengenberg tells me. If there were a single shared safety standard, he explains, he'd be able to tell me how it works -- but because there are a variety of proprietary ways that manufacturers meet the UL's requirements, he can't say any more.

By the way, the UL doesn't fail a computer if it gets damaged during the short-circuit test. "As long as the computer didn't create a shock or fire hazard, that would be a successful completion," Drengenberg says.

I'd wanted to ask Google engineer Benson Leung whether his Chromebook Pixel had those protection circuits, but he directed me to Google's PR team. Google didn't respond to repeated requests for comment.
https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-cable-problems/

With engineers in effect negating, that a wrong resistor would cause any issues - in any of "their products" - even if a "wrong cable" would be used.

Benson Leung on the other hand now acts as a glorified marketing channel for the Google Chromebook devision on google plus, still specking out USB devices (telling people which of them are are 2.0 and 3.1 or 3.2 compliant, by giving them the labels "good" and "bad" (what?)), once in a while.

This is a man having struck viral gold, by getting publicity for using a misswired usb cable - and now having his employer riding that coattail - for more than two years.

That would be my interpretation, which I didn't use in the more cautious first posting, but since you provoked...

edit: "Low UL standards" sentiment from a UL spokesperson in the quote above are in conflict with the press statement of the Oneplus honcho btw ("they'll pass as long as -they- arent causing a short or overvoltage") ). Which is funny.. ;) (In our case, the overvoltage issue would be caused by the device thats being charged.)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
One more article referencing Mr. Amazon review (Leung) himsef:
To use OnePlus's Type-C adapter as an example, Leung explains that the product doesn't follow the standard's rules for delivering power. "By using this cable [uses a (wrong) 10k ohm resistor], your phone, tablet, or laptop computer may attempt to draw 3A [of power], writes Leung. "Which may be more than the micro-b to A cable you attach to this adapter may be able to handle. This may cause damage to whatever cable, hub, PC, or charger you plug into this."

Leung adds that this won't have an affect on the OnePlus 2 itself as the handset doesn't support Type-C fast charging, and that the warning is more for owners of the Type-C compliant Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, and Chromebook Pixel. "However, it's still not cool to keep that cable around because the next phone or tablet or laptop computer you buy might support 3A fast charging, and if you forget that cable is bad, you may damage a charger sometime in the future," says Leung. "If you want to keep the cable, mark it with a tag so you don't forget it's special." But not special in a good way.
src: https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/16/9742360/oneplus-usb-type-c-cable-adapter

(click expand to see the two words marked bold)

Not the phone or the Switch, its always the device thats providing the charge that would get damaged. Potentially.

Although this got conflated by people - because the Leung guy rose to fame, by frying his Chromebook (while it was charging (drawing charge)), using a cable with "crossed wires". (The things people become famous for, these days, I tell you...) Power went to signal and the USB Port went *poof* which is beside the point of the "cables with wrong resistors issue".

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
People who can't read are not welcome here. Posting an amazon screencap and waiting for your service request to be filled is not something we suggest users in here should do - or indeed help you with. Look for another poor Shmuck to do your bidding in another part of the internet.

We are not your Alexa. And tell that to your offspring as well (which will most likely grow up with Alexa).

Abusing people so you don't have to do any intellectual work doest scale. They only get angrier, the more you do it.

Buzz off.

Also yes, I know the most likely answer, yes it is a one word one. No I'm not giving it to you - because you can find one yourself. Or at least one, that solves your "issue" for the same price. With about 60 seconds of work.

There are thousands of cables out there. Going by brand doesnt work. Listing "the one you'd like to buy - because amazon suggested..." is dependency enabling, unfair to all other manuacturers, and more importantly - doesn't scale. We are not your personal shopping coach.

Last edited by notimp,

steplay29

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People who can't read are not welcome here. Posting an amazon screencap and waiting for your service request to be filled is not something we suggest users in here should do - or indeed help you with. Look for another poor Shmuck to do your bidding in another part of the internet.

We are not your Alexa. And tell that to your offspring as well (which will most likely grow up with Alexa).

Abusing people so you don't have to do any intellectual work doest scale. They only get angrier, the more you do it.

Buzz off.

Also yes, I know the most likely answer, yes it is a one word one. No I'm not giving it to you - because you can find one yourself. Or at least one, that solves your "issue" for the same price. With about 60 seconds of work.

There are thousands of cables out there. Going by brand doesnt work. Listing "the one you'd like to buy - because amazon suggested..." is dependency enabling, unfair to all other manuacturers, and more importantly - doesn't scale. We are not your personal shopping coach.

Smart ass,Amazon did not suggest it was actually a guy on the forums and was just double checking myself.dont get high and mighty over a question that was posted in the correct forum.

binarymelon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These cables should be fine, correct? They say they have the 56k resistor. It says that rapid charge is not supported for a few devices (including Switch and Pixel), not sure if that's good or bad in this case. Just a little paranoid. Also should the USB-C -> C cables that came with my Pixel (original) be fine for delivering payloads?

Edit: Feck, forgot to paste the link.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FFHJFG2

Last edited by binarymelon,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Make sure it has a 56ohm resistor; otherwise it can brick your switch if the PC tries to charge it. I use a USB C to USB C with my switch and haven't experienced the battery bug some people are getting. Part of me suspects that improper USB cables be contributing to the problem.

EDIT: Nope, don't buy it. One user already reported it is out of spec with the 56ohm resistor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01GGKYN0A
It's 56k, not 56 iirc.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 56k, not 56 iirc.
You are correct. I've included this in all my recent posts. Autocorrect did not like pairing numbers with letters when posting from mobile.

These cables should be fine, correct? They say they have the 56k resistor. It says that rapid charge is not supported for a few devices (including Switch and Pixel), not sure if that's good or bad in this case. Just a little paranoid. Also should the USB-C -> C cables that came with my Pixel (original) be fine for delivering payloads?

Edit: Feck, forgot to paste the link.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FFHJFG2

USB-C to C cables are safe, especially when it came with your Google pixel. If the other cable has a 56k ohm resistor, you should be good to.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Smart ass,Amazon did not suggest it was actually a guy on the forums and was just double checking myself.dont get high and mighty over a question that was posted in the correct forum.
There are thousands of manufacturers. How do you expect "I was only double checking" would work with images of even lets say 20 of their products in this forum.

I will not accept "i was just double checking" as an excuse, for not trying to understand the criteria. Also as far as I'm concerned, "just double checking" can also be used to retroactively "cotton ball" not checking at all.

Oh by the way - is this a cable I should buy?

0ROCIZq.png

Or this?

5aeRoBk.png
I find it deeply disturbing that we are now doing image recognition services with attached information crawling for whatever the "top amazon products" in a certain category are. For randomns - that were just *screencap* doublechecking.

Thats crossing a line.

We are not your business buddys on hotdial.

We should have no interest in pampering selfrightous individuals with individualized service demands, and NO INTEREST in learning anything but "getting a product recommendation" - by shortcutting the "learn a thing" process.

Also - its not even that -not even a page before this one you have the links listed - but now its become "just double checking".

Think about what behavior you are enabling here.

Think about what it means, if your "recommendations - a la carte" are wrong. Do we now also offer recommendation corrections services a la cart?

It doesn't get more low effort than posting an amazon screengrab of a cable with "should I buy?" attached. Then add a quick lie about "only doublechecking".

Also - only 2 image recognition requests per person, right? A day? A week? How would you like to handle this.

And remember - if you give a wrong recommendation, based on any of the thousands of products that could be pulled - there are fewer people in here that would have to correct that. So - no, no "easy personalized" services in here.

And also no "just ignore him". This behavior is asocial and abusive. If you are double checking, reference the original post, and say so in your actual request. That way "minimal effort" to do something on your part - can be assured. Reactions might be different then.

-- Also, just out of interest, because this was a "verification" question. @hippy dave did you verify - that those cables would work? Or did you just post what aparently @steplay29 "already had seen" - posted it again, an thereby created a false premise of an independant verification? Also - if this was just a verification, based on the thing you already saw - @steplay29 - that would be ok, for you, right? Just to make the decision process (without knowing the actual criteria) a little bit more transparent.

Just kidding - I don't believe that the image post was a verification attempt. At all.

Last edited by notimp,

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are thousands of manufacturers. How do you expect "I was only double checking" would work with images of even lets say 20 of their products in this forum.

I will not accept "i was just double checking" as an excuse, for not trying to understand the criteria. Also as far as I'm concerned, "just double checking" can also be used to retroactively "cotton ball" not checking at all.

Oh by the way - is this a cable I should buy?

0ROCIZq.png

Or this?

5aeRoBk.png

I find it deeply disturbing that we are now doing image recognition services with attached information crawling for whatever the "top amazon products" in a certain category are. For randomns - that were just *screencap* doublechecking.

Thats crossing a line.

We are not your business buddys on hotdial.

We should have no interest in pampering selfrightous individuals with individualized service demands, and NO INTEREST in learning anything but "getting a product recommendation" - by shortcutting the "learn a thing" process.

Also - its not even that -not even a page before this one you have the links listed - but now its become "just double checking".

Think about what behavior you are enabling here.

Think about what it means, if your "recommendations - a la carte" are wrong. Do we now also offer recommendation corrections services a la cart?

It doesn't get more low effort than posting an amazon screengrab of a cable with "should I buy?" attached. Then add a quick lie about "only doublechecking".

Also - only 2 image recognition requests per person, right? A day? A week? How would you like to handle this.

And remember - if you give a wrong recommendation, based on any of the thousands of products that could be pulled - there are fewer people in here that would have to correct that. So - no, no "easy personalized" services in here.

And also no "just ignore him". This behavior is asocial and abusive. If you are double checking, reference the original post, and say so in your actual request. That way "minimal effort" to do something on your part - can be assured. Reactions might be different then.

-- Also, just out of interest, because this was a "verification" question. @hippy dave did you verify - that those cables would work? Or did you just post what aparently @steplay "already had seen" - posted it again, an thereby created a false premise of an independant verification? Also - if this was just a verification, based on the thing you already saw - @steplay - that would be ok, for you, right? Just to make the decision process (without knowing the actual criteria) a little bit more transparent. Just kidding - I don't believe that the image post was a verification attempt. At all.

Are you trying to turn the whole forum against you? You are just being toxic now. Please stop picking fights and being rude to members.

Some people here have questions about the safety of their products they are looking to purchase. They have every right to ask questions.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto