• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US Government to shut down in less than an hour, would be first single-party shutdown ever

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But who is actually saying they have higher priority? Right now they are being abused and US rights *not citizen rights.. but rights granted for JUST being in the US*. Do they deserve life saving treatments to be ignored? The truth is.. The people in charge of the House and Senate right now.. Don't want US to have any power. Not that the illegals are getting better treatment. They don't want -anyone- who is not a white christian straight male.. To have -any- power at all.

Well, take the sanctuary cities, mayors, etc are breaking the law by protecting them, the adults, from deportation. Why can't they just fix the stupid system and allow them to gain citizenship with a more streamline process? Oh, I know, because the Dems and Republicans can never agree on a bloody thing, so that's never gonna happen. Immigrants' children shouldn't suffer, no, but their irresponsible adults should face consequences for illegally entering. And before someone says that the country was founded on "illegal" immigration, how can it be the case when there were no immigration laws to break in the 17th century?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, take the sanctuary cities, mayors, etc are breaking the law by protecting them, the adults, from deportation. Why can't they just fix the stupid system and allow them to gain citizenship with a more streamline process? Oh, I know, because the Dems and Republicans can never agree on a bloody thing, so that's never gonna happen. Immigrants' children shouldn't suffer, no, but their irresponsible adults should face consequences for illegally entering. And before someone says that the country was founded on "illegal" immigration, how can it be the case when there were no immigration laws to break in the 17th century?

That's fine.. But. I agree with you that change is necessary. But let me ask you this, as someone else did. Do you think there should be no medical marijuana simply because Nixon wanted to put black people and protesters behind bars? Or what about SB 1070 which is gives police officers of the state of Arizona the right to detain any individual who has either a non-white skin tone or an accent, and force them to prove their citizenship. Or even Trumps attempt at banning people who have valid visa's to the US.

We have laws in place, yes.. but that doesn't mean they -should- be in place. "All citizens must own a rake." yes... this is a real law in georgia.. Do you honestly think everyone who doesn't should be punished?

Please note I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I just want to give you something to think about as I hope you give me something to think about.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine.. But. I agree with you that change is necessary. But let me ask you this, as someone else did. Do you think there should be no medical marijuana simply because Nixon wanted to put black people and protesters behind bars? Or what about SB 1070 which is gives police officers of the state of Arizona the right to detain any individual who has either a non-white skin tone or an accent, and force them to prove their citizenship. Or even Trumps attempt at banning people who have valid visa's to the US.

We have laws in place, yes.. but that doesn't mean they -should- be in place. "All citizens must own a rake." yes... this is a real law in georgia.. Do you honestly think everyone who doesn't should be punished?

Please note I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I just want to give you something to think about as I hope you give me something to think about.

I'd rather not voice my opinion on marijuana, but I will say I've a huge bias against any kind of drug, gateway drug, medicinal or otherwise, because there are people who would find an excuse to abuse it more than people who use it for legit purposes. I have an older sister who royally f*cked up her life because of bad choices she made, drug abuse, she has tried every drug in existence, and still smokes weed on top of it all. She has poor mental and physical health, she's been arrested for illegal drug possession. To sum up, I couldn't give two shits about marijuana, even if it's decriminalized, taxed, etc. I never want to even be near it or even want to support it. I'm sorry, but drugs have indirectly affected me because of what I've seen my sister go through and abuse. Make with it what you will. I just wish the mayors of these sanctuary cities weren't so damned belligerent and hellbent on prioritizing illegals' priorities and safety over their legal citizens. Is that too much to ask? Immigration is broken, drug regulation is broken, the entire system is FUBAR. I don't even know what to believe anymore.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather not voice my opinion on marijuana, but I will say I've a huge bias against any kind of drug, gateway drug, medicinal or otherwise, because there are people who would find an excuse to abuse it more than people who use it for legit purposes. I have an older sister who royally f*cked up her life because of bad choices she made, drug abuse, she has tried every drug in existence, and still smokes weed on top of it all. She has poor mental and physical health, she's been arrested for illegal drug possession. To sum up, I couldn't give two shits about marijuana, even if it's decriminalized, taxed, etc. I never want to even be near it or even want to support it. I'm sorry, but drugs have indirectly affected me because of what I've seen my sister go through and abuse. Make with it what you will. I just wish the mayors of these sanctuary cities weren't so damned belligerent and hellbent on prioritizing illegals' priorities and safety over their legal citizens. Is that too much to ask? Immigration is broken, drug regulation is broken, the entire system is FUBAR. I don't even know what to believe anymore.

But you keep saying they are putting priority of the illegals over the citizens. But my question is HOW are they doing that?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you keep saying they are putting priority of the illegals over the citizens. But my question is HOW are they doing that?

IDFK anymore. I really don't. But they should stop giving them power to vote as well, if they're not legally here, they don't have any right to vote in any elections IMO. That's just stupid. Deport the illegal adults and give amnesty to their children to pave the way for legal citizenship. If people are going to hate me for saying that, fine. I've lost plenty of friends last year over my opinions, what's one more? :( This is why I'm hesitant to share opinions, there are people who I think to be friends, who end up hating my guts afterwards. At least that's how I feel :cry:

Last edited by the_randomizer,
D

Deleted User

Everytime I hear the government is shutting down, it sounds pretty scary but nothing seems to happen. Somebody explain to me why this is different?

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDFK anymore. I really don't. But they should stop giving them power to vote as well, if they're not legally here, they don't have any right to vote in any elections IMO. That's just stupid. Deport the illegal adults and give amnesty to their children to pave the way for legal citizenship. If people are going to hate me for saying that, fine. I've lost plenty of friends last year over my opinions, what's one more? :( This is why I'm hesitant to share opinions, there are people who I think to be friends, who end up hating my guts afterwards. At least that's how I feel :cry:

Actually even though we have not been agreeing on everything, I respect you because you've been calm and actually explaining your position.

As for the immigrants voting. I don't believe it's true at all. That would be voter fraud *not that there isn't a lot to damage the voting system as every citizen is by right allowed to vote and laws get passed to stop that all the time.*

And we have prove that voter fraud is -so- small that it's almost zero.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually even though we have not been agreeing on everything, I respect you because you've been calm and actually explaining your position.

As for the immigrants voting. I don't believe it's true at all. That would be voter fraud *not that there isn't a lot to damage the voting system as every citizen is by right allowed to vote and laws get passed to stop that all the time.*

And we have prove that voter fraud is -so- small that it's almost zero.

I appreciate the civility as well, but with that being said, I've been feeling off this morning and may take a break from this thread for a few hours. Just been feeling really off for some reason. I fear that people I call friends on here may look down at me, IDK how, guess that's just one of my issues with social anxiety.

Reactions: Xzi and Tigran

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save us Oprah 2020.

r9arwz9.gif

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the civility as well, but with that being said, I've been feeling off this morning and may take a break from this thread for a few hours. Just been feeling really off for some reason. I fear that people I call friends on here may look down at me, IDK how, guess that's just one of my issues with social anxiety.

I hope you get to feeling better. And if the Republicans and Democrats could have discussions like we where having, the whole country would be better. While we disagree on some things, we agree on others, and at least that's a start. :)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you get to feeling better. And if the Republicans and Democrats could have discussions like we where having, the whole country would be better. While we disagree on some things, we agree on others, and at least that's a start. :)

And that's just it, neither party can agree on anything, it's nothing but backbiting and blaming ad infinitum, as a result, nothing ever gets done. It's infuriating and seriously makes me fear for the future of this country *sigh*.

How about take a joke better?

zwXRv57.gif

Well sorry :(

Vahnyyz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wanna give us an in-depth explanation on why you think our immigration system is so bad?
I would love to give you an in-depth explanation, but seeing as it really wouldn't matter one way or the other if you're still questioning it now i'll say this.

I'm first generation American, meaning I was born and raised here by parents who came to this country illegally and once they got their green card because of this little "bundle of joy" they worked hard to A) Get a HS Diploma here in the US by doing equivalency tests and learning english B) quickly getting their Citizenship which took 2 years time in total because of money and what not, and finally but not the least of which C) Getting and maintaining jobs both with the state and the federal government. My family is from Colombia, so we're not from a sh*t-poor country like mexico and we have (had) a legitimate education system as well in my parent's country. They were illegal immigrants that within 2 years got their affairs in order and became American Citizens NOT because Colombia isn't their home, and NOT because they wanted to forget their past but because when you come into another person's house, you behave accordingly.

Fast forward a few years my uncles come in, and as I mentioned before we're Colombian, so they get a visa and things to visit family and they try to get ahead here too. A) They made friends with local cartels and made some quick cash by bringing things here B) they didn't care about the laws here and said "No I'm not American I'm Colombian and I shouldn't have to change because I'm proud of who I am" basically calling my Father an "Uncle Tom" even though they're happy to take his money when they need help C) They get deported because of their stupidities and still whine about how unfair it was that they aren't allowed in the country because all they did was sell some drugs and stuff.

That's just using 2 small examples. I grew up in NJ where my family's story isn't even close to estranged. The Daca/Dreamer bull doesn't deal with Scenario 1 immigrants it deals with Scenario 2. Becoming a Citizen has been SUPER Streamlined since the 80s when my parents did it and it has also become QUITE a bit cheaper, but somehow that's "too hard" for illegals to do these days. Because cell phones, Computers, and "pride" seem to be getting in their way I guess, maybe if they all collectively pulled their heads out of their butts they could possibly be more than just a blight to society and the world as a whole.

TL~DR
POS Roaches and immigrants need to be stamped out and kicked out. If you want to be part of the solution of what the REAL American dream is (Make it here, and make it everywhere via hard work) then more power to you. Sadly more people care about them as "people" when they're really 2nd class leeches.

Last edited by Vahnyyz,
Reactions: DarthDub

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's just using 2 small examples. I grew up in NJ where my family's story isn't even close to estranged. The Daca/Dreamer bull doesn't deal with Scenario 1 immigrants it deals with Scenario 2. Becoming a Citizen has been SUPER Streamlined since the 80s when my parents did it and it has also become QUITE a bit cheaper, but somehow that's "too hard" for illegals to do these days. Because cell phones, Computers, and "pride" seem to be getting in their way I guess, maybe if they all collectively pulled their heads out of their butts they could possibly be more than just a blight to society and the world as a whole.
AFAIK there's no path to citizenship now, I'm not sure about the 80s. If there was a way for DREAMERS to become citizens, they would've done so a long time ago. They've been stuck in legislative limbo instead, and unless something is included in the budget for them, they're being deported beginning in March despite the fact that they're law-abiding citizens who contribute to the economy like anyone else.

Your whole argument reeks of "got mine Jack, don't care about anyone else now." Yes, immigrants who commit crimes should be deported, but equally immigrants who contribute to society should be rewarded. You don't build loyalty with only a stick and no carrot.

Last edited by Xzi,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK there's no path to citizenship now, I'm not sure about the 80s. If there was a way for DREAMERS to become citizens, they would've done so a long time ago. They've been stuck in legislative limbo instead, and unless something is included in the budget for them, they're being deported beginning in March despite the fact that they're law-abiding citizens who contribute to the economy like anyone else.

Interestingly.. The 14th amendment actually points out this can't happen: A primary motivation for this clause was to validate the equality provisions contained in the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which guaranteed that all people would have rights equal to those of all citizens.

Reactions: Xzi

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime I hear the government is shutting down, it sounds pretty scary but nothing seems to happen. Somebody explain to me why this is different?

Well theoreticaly thousands to possibly a millon *that may be a gross overestimate, thats why I put thousand up in there* are goverment workers are required to continue to work without pay, and will not receive back pay.

This could affect healthcare because hospitals won't get any federal funding. It's dangerous to the president because Secrete service can't be paid. And we all know people don't do as good of a job when they are not paid. Other social programs such as road work and even something as Utilites could be vastly affected. And even food as most food is subsidized by the goverment.

So this could actually lead into numerous problems that most people will not be able to handle. Also I expect the stock market to take a hit as well, though I don't know about that.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly.. The 14th amendment actually points out this can't happen: A primary motivation for this clause was to validate the equality provisions contained in the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which guaranteed that all people would have rights equal to those of all citizens.

Well that's a dumb oversight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next