• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

We exploited conservatives (Dexter Filkins) [original title: Can Ron DeSantis Displace Donald Trump as the G.O.P.’s Combatant-in-Chief?]

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
He invokes the bible but believes in and follows none of its teachings.
Jesus lived by his own rules.
The Anti-Christ is often described as "the lawless one," which sounds pretty familiar.
Jesus was also lawless.
2 Thessalonians 2:1–4 basically describes an extreme narcissist, which also sounds familiar.
I would argue that Jesus was also a narcissist. He believed to be the son of god.
"He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God."
Jesus thought that his word was the word of god.
He's leading people astray from the actual teachings of Christ, which is covered by Matthew 24:24 and Mark 13:22. The Anti-Christ is described as a deceiver and a liar, check and check.
Well do you believe that Jesus was truely the son of god?
The only other figure in the bible he shares anything in common with would be the golden calf, though that never spoke and Trump never shuts the fuck up...so yeah.
Hm... Okay I am sure you have a point. I am not that familiar with 'the antichrist'. My argument that the discourse around Trump seems to be a post-christian phenomenon stands either way.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Do you remember when Jesus whipped the pharisees out of the temple. That was quite hateful.
According to the book of Mateus (Don't know the name in English) Jesus expelled people who were selling stuff inside the temple, so that means he did not liked business men that much back in the day.

(this assuming that really happened, I never take any biblical text as historical evidence)

Reactions: Xzi

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
According to the book of Mateus (Don't know the name in English) Jesus expelled people who were selling stuff inside the temple, so that means he did not liked business men that much back in the day.

(this assuming that really happened, I never take any biblical text as historical evidence)
He was explicitly expelling pharisaic jews out of the temple.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My argument that the discourse around Trump seems to be a post-christian phenomenon stands either way.
If not for Southern Baptists and Evangelicals, Trump would have virtually no support. I agree though that calling them "Christians" is probably a bridge too far, they believe in more of what the Old Testament has to say than the New.

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If not for Southern Baptists and Evangelicals, Trump would have virtually no support. I agree though that calling them "Christians" is probably a bridge too far, they believe in more of what the Old Testament has to say than the New.
I believe the LGBTQIR+ movement and the many other movements of 'the left' are essentially more christian that anything else these days.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I believe the LGBTQIR+ movement and the many other movements of 'the left' are essentially more christian that anything else these days.
Pretty much any atheist or agnostic person adheres to more of Jesus' teachings than most Christians in the US, without even trying.

Reactions: Jayro and Creamu

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Trump is not a carpenter preaching on Palestine and being hunted by the Roman Empire. He is just an orange fat old dude that is filled with hate and served as a banner for many other people filled with hate.

If he ever gets arrested, it will not change the hate in the american society (and western society in general) in any degree.
But he still broke laws so he still needs arrested, regardless.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
As that would be a contradiction. haha
"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

So yeah, if bible is real (I don't believe it), Trump is not on Jesus friend's list. Jesus want for the rich the same as Trump want to Mexicans: "can't enter in my land"

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

So yeah, if bible is real (I don't believe it), Trump is not on Jesus friend's list. Jesus want for the rich the same as Trump want to Mexicans: "can't enter in my land"
My argument is more that Trump is a Neo-Jesus type. Adonis, Phoenix, Jesus whatever, it's a reoccuring type. I don't say he inherently is this way, but he is put in this position in a weird way.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My argument is more that Trump is a Neo-Jesus type. Adonis, Phoenix, Jesus whatever, it's a reoccuring type. I don't say he inherently is this way, but he is put in this position in a weird way.
He's the dumb person's idea of a smart man, the degenerate's idea of a pious man, the ugly person's idea of a handsome man...so on and so forth. He's idolized and deified by the worse bottom-dwellers that society has to offer. Conservatives tried to do the same with GWB, but his imperialist invasions and 2008's massive economic crash put a damper on that. Similarly, Trump killing 1mil Americans with his mishandling of a deadly virus should've been the end of his popularity, but too many rubes had wrapped their entire ego and personality around him before he had even won the 2016 election.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
He's the dumb person's idea of a smart man,
You really think so? He is such an obvious clown. Haha
the degenerate's idea of a pious man, the ugly person's idea of a handsome man...so on and so forth. He's idolized and deified by the worse bottom-dwellers that society has to offer. Conservatives tried to do the same with GWB, but his imperialist invasions and 2008's massive economic crash put a damper on that. Similarly, Trump killing 1mil Americans with his mishandling of a deadly virus should've been the end of his popularity, but too many rubes had wrapped their entire ego and personality around him before he had even won the 2016 election.
Okay to keep this short. I just found it interesting that in minds of others Trumps imprisonment or killing would heal others mentally. In my view that is an artefact of a post christian populus.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You really think so? He is such an obvious clown. Haha
Exactly. And who likes clowns? Some children, and adults with learning disabilities. The same people who will look you dead in the eye and insist that WWE isn't staged, basically.

Some of them are fully aware of how stupid Trump sounds to the rest of the world, they just don't care because he hates the same people they do.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Exactly. And who likes clowns? Some children, and adults with learning disabilities. The same people who will look you dead in the eye and insist that WWE isn't staged, basically.
He has his moments. It can be entertaining
Some of them are fully aware of how stupid Trump sounds to the rest of the world, they just don't care because he hates the same people they do.
and I think he is the president america deserves.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He has his moments. It can be entertaining
A comedian he is not, incoherent rambling is only funny the first couple times at most. He'd also be a lot easier to laugh at if he wasn't actively doing harm to already-marginalized communities.

and I think he is the president america deserves.
America as a singular entity out of time and throughout history? Sure, you might be right about that. But individual Americans don't deserve this shit, especially millennials and younger who have never known a system or society that has worked to benefit them. Trump is solely a wet dream for boomers enticed by the Southern Strategy, and they already swiped more than their fair portion of the pie decades ago.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
A comedian he is not, incoherent rambling is only funny the first couple times at most. He'd also be a lot easier to laugh at if he wasn't actively doing harm to already-marginalized communities.
He is a caricaturist, he gives american politics a cartoonish layer. The humor is situational and works only because the context he is navigating in is also pretty messed up. Certainly the consequential layer is a different story. Trumps behavior causes suffering and death, that could otherwise be avoided. But to be fair, what is the option that would turn things around? And if it's going down the tubes anyway, isn't it better to let it unfold fast (from a nietzschian perspective)?
America as a singular entity out of time and throughout history? Sure, you might be right about that.
Yeah, I think so. It's like if you don't care for your stuff it will break and you are to blame.
But individual Americans don't deserve this shit, especially millennials and younger who have never known a system or society that has worked to benefit them.
That is the tragedy of life unfortunatly.
Trump is solely a wet dream for boomers enticed by the Southern Strategy, and they already swiped more than their fair portion of the pie decades ago.
I can see that, but there certainly is more to it.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible for Trump to be both stupid, and also represent an existential threat to the US. With his seat of power it's fair to say that the people he's riling up, plus the things he tries sign into law show blatantly how dangerous he is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol