• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US Government to shut down in less than an hour, would be first single-party shutdown ever

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Becoming a Citizen has been SUPER Streamlined since the 80s when my parents did it and it has also become QUITE a bit cheaper, but somehow that's "too hard" for illegals to do these days.
What are you talking about, dude? It absolutely has not been "SUPER streamlined". In fact, it's almost impossible for poor people without immediate family in the US.

It's summarized in this pic.
95Yuwra.jpg

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean? I just admitted to having a negative attitude about the government.

I mean that most people just closed their eyes and hid, thus we've gotten to this point in many ways. I understand your feelings, but the only way to fix the goverment is to fight against it.

It may be "Voting for the less evil." But everytime we vote for the "Lesser evil.. eventually our options are not evil." Though the shutdown is going to be problematic.

Please, I understand you're dislike of the goverment, I dislike a whole lot of what they do, but every once in a while they do do good things.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly.. The 14th amendment actually points out this can't happen: A primary motivation for this clause was to validate the equality provisions contained in the Civil Rights Act of 1866, which guaranteed that all people would have rights equal to those of all citizens.
This was for slaves who were already here in America. When they got their freedom, they would also get full legal citizenship and rights. Alot of people misinterpret this. It wasn't intended for illegals to come over and have anchor babies. Those people should technically be illegal until they go through the right steps to become a citizen.

Reactions: DarthDub

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was for slaves who were already here in America. When they got their freedom, they would also get full legal citizenship and rights. Alot of people misinterpret this. It wasn't intended for illegals to come over and have anchor babies. Those people should technically be illegal until they go through the right steps to become a citizen.

That may indeed be true, but the entire legal system in the US is based on technicalities.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter what the intentions were, it still applies as it's in our Constitution. Until a constitutional convention happens and the 14th amendment is revised (which it likely won't be), that's the law that our elected officials swear to uphold

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The parents remain illegal even if they've had children in the US, but the children are citizens. Again, the bigger issue is that there are no "right steps" to become a citizen. There is no way for an illegal to become a citizen even if they've been here 40-50 years, and that's problematic. The system is broken more than the people in the system are.

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The parents remain illegal even if they've had children in the US, but the children are citizens. Again, the bigger issue is that there are no "right steps" to become a citizen. There is no way for an illegal to become a citizen even if they've been here 40-50 years, and that's problematic. The system is broken more than the people in the system are.
I know all that. I was just pointing out what the intentions were for the civil rights act. I'm not stupid. Lol

Edit: There are right steps and it's through the government. A guy I worked for had to go through tons of paperwork and waited 7 years to become a US citizen. The process is to damn long. I do think they should shorten it maybe one year or a few months because that's ridiculous. But he did it the right way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Doesn't matter what the intentions were, it still applies as it's in our Constitution. Until a constitutional convention happens and the 14th amendment is revised (which it likely won't be), that's the law that our elected officials swear to uphold
Something needs to happen. It needs to be universally understood with out any loopholes.

Last edited by Navonod,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know all that. I was just pointing out what the intentions were for the civil rights act. I'm not stupid. Lol

Edit: There are right steps and it's through the government. A guy I worked for had to go through tons of paperwork and waited 7 years to become a US citizen. The process is to damn long. I do think they should shorten it maybe one year or a few months because that's ridiculous. But he did it the right way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Something needs to happen. It needs to be universally understood with out any loopholes.

I know it would make "Second class citizens" which I don't really agree with. But honestly our immigration policy should be.. they come through a gate. A background check is done. If they are clean, (for the most part.. Minor misdemeanors would be case by case) they get allowed. They go work on farms *which have to provide food and shelter* and maybe get the wage they would get anyways. After two/three years without a serious criminal record, they become full citizens no question asked.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Vahnyyz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK there's no path to citizenship now, I'm not sure about the 80s. If there was a way for DREAMERS to become citizens, they would've done so a long time ago. They've been stuck in legislative limbo instead, and unless something is included in the budget for them, they're being deported beginning in March despite the fact that they're law-abiding citizens who contribute to the economy like anyone else.

Your whole argument reeks of "got mine Jack, don't care about anyone else now." Yes, immigrants who commit crimes should be deported, but equally immigrants who contribute to society should be rewarded. You don't build loyalty with only a stick and no carrot.
well that's quite interesting actually, because just last year I helped my mother in law become a US citizen for less than 2k (quite a bit less) and it was very similar in process to how my parents did it. And I should mention my mother in law doesn't speak almost ANY english, she works at Marriot hotels as a maid and she became a US citizen VERY HAPPILY I might add after living in the US for 20+ years. She was very much like you in that she thought "no, I can't become a US citizen I can only be a legal resident". Just because "as far as you know" there isn't a way doesn't mean there isn't one. I'll have you know she did it in California 2017. Very much the place that tries to harbor and what not these illegals all the time. She's from El Salvador, almost NO school education because she had to drop out and take care of her family she came to the states with my father-in-law and he got his citizenship back in the 80s. Sure, maybe having a family member that's american makes things easier. I won't lie I never considered it because A) It's a question that's asked and the people I know have said no when they're not a part of my family B) if we considered the USA a home instead of a country and in this critical thinking exercise we're going to say its YOUR home. Do you want someone who is going to expect you to pay THEIR rent, THEIR food, THEIR clothing, THEIR electricity usage and are you supposed to be happy about for the rest of your life when you have mouths to feed not just your own. Or is it possible that you'd want that person to contribute when you say "yes, of course you're in need, let me help you. we can WORK TOGETHER and be family/friends/whatever BS title and make this work".

I totally get that you guys want to say "oh we're being mean (boohoo) that makes me sad" but at the end of the day, we're not talking about Bill Gate type immigrants that are being kicked out, we're talking about that one friend that's always borrowing money and says "yeah i'll pay you back" and then when they get paid they go and buy themselves a PS4 or an Xbox, but the moment you come up to them and say "hey buddy can I please have my 5 dollars back" they pretty much shun you and say "you said you were my friend, you said you were a good person" and make themselves the martyr and you the executioner by extension.

Last edited by Vahnyyz,

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it would make "Second class citizens" which I don't really agree with. But honestly our immigration policy should be.. they come through a gate. A background check is done. If they are clean, (for the most part.. Minor misdemeanors would be case by case) they get allowed. They go work on farms *which have to provide food and shelter* and maybe get the wage they would get anyways. After two/three years without a serious criminal record, they become full citizens no question asked.
I can't agree with that process personally. But yes I do agree it should be a bit easier.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is a terrible idea.

Reactions: dimmidice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-