Tutorial  Updated

Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Follow https://3ds.guide to install Boot9strap, the latest and best setup you can have. It's super easy to setup, highly recommended to make the switch. Stop using EmuNAND and menuhax!!
Also, there's a step in the guide that has you move EmuNAND to sysNAND. So you won't lose any of your stuff in the end.

If you want personal one on one help with the process, send me a PM or let me know in a reply. It's also much quicker with my help than doing it on your own.

Last edited by MattKimura,

CrazyMaxx

Stand-User
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, a question is I have seen on new Luma 5.5 its possible after sys config go back to emunand... but how to?
After exit sys config my 3ds make new boot...

ps: Your tut works grate for reinand to luma ;D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

here the part from update log "Luma3DS doesn't reboot the console anymore when exiting its configuration menu"

Venat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had to use the boot.3dsx file and rename it to something like bootLuma.3dsx, but now it works.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've followed this guide, and I can't get it to work. I'm on O3DSXL, 9.2 sysnand, 11.0 emunand which I normally launch with rxTools, and I use Menuhax + CTR Boot Manager. I used to have the old Themehax payload for Menuhax, but I reinstalled Menuhax from the manager app to restore to the current one, and whenever I try to run Luma from my CTR Boot Manager menu, I get a red bottom screen and my system freezes.

Are later versions of Luma only for N3DS?

Edit: I have the Luma3DS.dat on my root, and a 'luma' folder, empty other than the (also empty) 'payloads' folder that was in it in the zip.

Last edited by m2pt5,

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot Manager works, but upon picking Luma it freezes?

What does your boot.cfg look like?
Here's the whole thing:
boot_config :
{
timeout = 0;
autobootfix = 8;
recovery = 8;
default = 0;
entries = (
{
title = "rxTools emuNAND";
path = "/rxTools/sys/code.bin";
offset = "0x12000";
},
{
title = "Luma3DS emuNAND";
path = "/Luma3DS.dat";
offset = "0x12000";
},
{
title = "Gateway Loader";
path = "/3ds/GW/GW.3dsx";
},
{
title = "Homebrew Menu";
path = "/hbmenu.3dsx";
},
{
title = "MiniPasta";
path = "/3ds/MiniPasta/Minipasta.3dsx";
},
{
title = "Home Menu";
path = "homemenu";
},
{
title = "Reboot";
path = "reboot";
},
{
title = "Shutdown";
path = "shutdown";
} );
theme :
{
bgTop1 = "000000";
bgTop2 = "000000";
bgBottom = "000000";
highlight = "dcdcdc";
borders = "ffffff";
font1 = "ffffff";
font2 = "000000";
bgImgTop = "/yourimage.bin";
bgImgBot = "/yourimage2.bin";
};
};

Venat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would try to rename Luma's boot.3dsx to Luma.3dsx or something and put it to the other 3dsx files, then change the path from Luma3DS.dat to that (and delete the offset line I think). That's what worked for me.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that, also tried using the one that comes in a /3ds folder already for that purpose. I got the first-time setup screen, but after I pass that all I get is a double black screen with both methods.

Edit: Not removing rxTools from my card yet isn't going to make a difference, is it?

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes Luma doesn't boot, just like rxtools, maybe you just have to try it once more?
Tried it several times, from both 3dsx files and directly from the dat with the offset, while they all bring up the initial config if a config file is not present, none of them go farther than that.

Reactions: OnenZ

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it several times, from both 3dsx files and directly from the dat with the offset, while they all bring up the initial config if a config file is not present, none of them go farther than that.
- Do you have a luma folder on your SD card?

- You can download CTR Boot Manager: https://gbatemp.net/attachments/ctrbootmanager-1-9-zip.40188/ then take the boot.3dsx file and put it on the root, just to be sure that you're using the latest release. Also copy over the boot.cfg file and edit it, change ReiNand's name to Luma3DS, and Luma3DS.dat

- I wonder what version of hax you're using, the latest being 2.7. It's important to use the latest hax version for menuhax, which can improve boot rate of the CFW. It shows the version on the top screen on the very top while booting up I believe. If unsure, you could reinstall it again from homebrew launcher.

Overall, CTR Boot Manager is the best way to go, I'm not sure what's stopping you right now.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I went and looked at the Luma installation page on github, and it turned out it wanted the firmware.bin from the package that it says you need if you want to run NTR. I got it working, but NTR doesn't want to work still.

Might the problem be that I used a thing that was supposed to wipe the list of blocked flashcarts? I do still have a sysnand backup I could revert to.

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried it, but i can't boot my emunand.

I m using rxtools with CTRbootmananger.

Once luma starts it boot straight to the sysnand.

Last edited by tomazzzi,

Shiiouri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I would ask questions here in the Topic but I got stuck on Section I - Prep Work's Step 33 on Part 4: Getting the OTP on Luma3DS. After I used TinyFormat to format Red/EmuNAND, and went to FBI while it's already formatted by TinyFormat, after selecting TinyFormat.cia, I got an error saying "Failed to Install cia file" on a formatted Red/EmuNAND on Luma3DS.

Mowcno

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I've got Luma to boot no problem, however it won't launch my emunand, after the initial configuration it just went to a black screen upon pressing start, whenever I boot my 3ds it is also a black screen now unless I hold select and then the Luma configuration menu appears. So it's trying to boot emunand but is failing?

I was on rxtools 2.5 before I think. I also just updated my sysnand from 4.5 to 9.2 before installing luma, my emunand was created on 4.5 before (updated to 10.8 or so from settings afterwards) if that has any baring...

EDIT: Nevermind I started everything from scratch and got a9lh on. Lost a few saves and gonna have to install a lot of CIA's again but everything's working now.

Last edited by Mowcno,

MaiconErick

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Changing this part:

{
title = "ReiNand";
path = "/ReiNand.dat";
offset = "0x12000";
},

to this:

{
title = "Luma3DS";
path = "/Luma3DS.dat";
offset = "0x12000";
},

makes the CTR show a "no boot.cfg found"
If I rename the Luma3DS.dat to ReiNand.dat and let the boot.cfg as original, the configuration for Luma appears, I press start and it hangs on a black screen. :/

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
ok,this is weird
i can't install menuhax on my O3DS
i am using ninjhax to go to HBL and run menuhax installer 2.2
i already setup theme on my sysnand 9.2 then remove it.
i also tried to delete my old data and re install menuhax again
but my O3DS wont boot to HBL.
i chose type 2 to button pressed.

edit: fixed,i should chose type 1 instead.

Last edited by aos10,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work