Status
Not open for further replies.

[UPDATE] WiiU Production Officially Ends in Japan

wii-u-gamepad-controller.jpg
As reported earlier, Nintendo planned the inevitable end of WiiU production sometime "soon".

It appears that the time has finally come and the console has stopped being produced in Japan according to the hardware section of Nintendo Japan’s website.

UPDATE: In a statement to Kotaku, Nintendo of America stated that "WiiU production has ended globally."

:arrow: SOURCE, UPDATE SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Anyone who says the Wii U is a better console than the Wii is either insane or has no taste. Exclusives aside, the Wii had some degree of mainstream support. Think CoD (multiple releases compared to just one on the Wii), No More Heroes, several Resident Evil games, Goldeneye, Red Steel, House of the Dead, The Conduit, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Dead Space: Extraction, Madworld, Okami, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, The Calling, Ju-on: The Grudge, Trauma Center, Another Code, Bully, Klonoa, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Final Fantasy, SSX, Epic Mickey, Dragon Quest, I could go on forever. The Wii eats the Wii U alive in terms of the library.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone who says the Wii U is a better console than the Wii is either insane or has no taste. Exclusives aside, the Wii had some degree of mainstream support. Think CoD (multiple releases compared to just one on the Wii), No More Heroes, several Resident Evil games, Goldeneye, Red Steel, House of the Dead, The Conduit, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Dead Space: Extraction, Madworld, Okami, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, The Calling, Ju-on: The Grudge, Trauma Center, Another Code, Bully, Klonoa, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Final Fantasy, SSX, Epic Mickey, Dragon Quest, I could go on forever. The Wii eats the Wii U alive in terms of the library.
Wii U is video game console. Wii was a toy. Also i can't take any game with motion controls seriously.

Last edited by Bonestorm,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wii U is video game console. Wii was a toy. Also i can't take any game with motion controls seriously.
They're both toys. All consoles are toys. They exist to entertain the user by means of playing games. It's not even that you don't like the console - you don't like the controller. Too bad, so sad, I was okay with the Wii Remote. In fact, I found it quite comfortable due to it being separated into two parts.

Last edited by Foxi4,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In terms of homebrew, however, emulators have better performance (CPS3 running full speed, NeoGeo, etc, don't run into RAM issues). but aside from homebrew and being able to run emulators better, Wii U has no advantage over Wii.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In terms of homebrew, however, emulators have better performance (CPS3 running full speed, NeoGeo, etc, don't run into RAM issues). but aside from homebrew and being able to run emulators better, Wii U has no advantage over Wii.
There's a generational gap between the two systems, of course one is beefier than the other. Comparing the two on the basis of emulation performance is just silly, we compare the systems on their merits from the days when they were new, otherwise the newest system will always be "the best".

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a generational gap between the two systems, of course one is beefier than the other. Comparing the two on the basis of emulation performance is just silly, we compare the systems on their merits from the days when they were new, otherwise the newest system will always be "the best".

Homebrew is my primary reason for keeping my Wii U, actually, I've stopped using the Wii because the Wii U does everything the Wii does but more, IMO :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Homebrew is my primary reason for keeping my Wii U, actually, I've stopped using the Wii because the Wii U does everything the Wii does but more, IMO :P
Sure, it's backwards compatible, so it's effectively the Wii and then some. It makes sense to own a Wii U rather than the Wii, unless you want to play GC discs instead of ISO's.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U wasn't a bad purchase for me, but it disappointed nonetheless. It just failed to live up to its potential, Nintendo failed to capture a hefty amount of the base that made Wii a huge success, and now Nintendo has modified its implementation by putting out Switch (which I admit is a big shift since the two-screen focus is dead on Switch - the portable screen is now the entire system and you have two modes of playing instead of trying to mix TV and second screen together).

Can Switch make good and redeem Wii U in a weird way? Maybe, Nintendo is trying out stuff like paid online now, plus no more Miiverse. Switch may be another blunder, actually.

That's enough random speculation from me. *salutes Wii U as they lower it into the coffin*

Last edited by dronesplitter,

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To be fair if only third party continued to release games for Wii U, maybe it would be as successful as Wii or GC.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair if only third party continued to release games for Wii U, maybe it would be as successful as Wii or GC.
>GC
>Successful

The Gamecube got pounded into the ground by Microsoft, a newcomer to the industry whose console was basically a custom PC with a proprietary GeForce GPU. It wasn't even successful, and it was still miles better than the Wii U.

Reactions: depaul

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So thease 18 Games are the best the System had to offer in thouse 5 years ?

I would say then the system was defenly a failure.
>GC
>Successful

The Gamecube got pounded into the ground by Microsoft, a newcomer to the industry whose console was basically a custom PC with a proprietary GeForce GPU. It wasn't even successful, and it was still miles better than the Wii U.
The Xbox sold a couple MILLION more units than the GC,relax. Also the GC is infinitely better than the Xbox.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Xbox sold a couple thousand more units than the GC,relax. Also the GC is infinitely better than the Xbox.
The original Xbox is ahead of the Gamecube by over two million units, and that was Microsoft's first attempt versus an industry behemoth with decades of experience and unparalleled brand recognition. It's also an excellent system with a great library of games, top notch first and third-party releases that launched IP's which are going strong to this day. For all intents and purposes it mopped the floor with the GC, and they hardly even tried - they just retrofitted PC parts. The GC was so easy to beat it's almost laughable.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The original Xbox is ahead of the Gamecube by over two million units, and that was Microsoft's first attempt versus an industry behemoth with decades of experience and unparalleled brand recognition. It's also an excellent system with a great library of games and top notch first and third-party releases. For all intents and purposes it mopped the floor with the GC, and they hardly even tried - they just retrofitted PC parts. The GC was so easy to beat it's almost laughable.
I meant a couple million obviously and yea 2 more which is not "pounded into the ground" MS didn't try? lol the original Xbox is the only time they ever tried with original IP'S and Japanese directed content such as RPGs it wasn't just COD PEW PEW shooters and Forza yet. To call MS "NEW" is funny they had been involved with gaming for years and people like to forget they had a VERY LARGE part in the Dreamcast the Xbox was really the Dreamcast 2.

PS2
Gamecube
Dreamcast
Xbox

Aside from sales, that's the order. I love all 4 actually it's the only Xbox console i like it's still the worst of that gen tho.

Reactions: dronesplitter

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I meant a couple million obviously and yea 2 more which is not "pounded into the ground" MS didn't try? lol the original Xbox is the only time they ever tried with original IP'S and Japanese directed content such as RPGs it wasn't just COD PEW PEW shooters and Forza yet. To call MS "NEW" is funny they had been involved with gaming for years and people like to forget they had a VERY LARGE part in the Dreamcast the Xbox was really the Dreamcast 2.
2 million units is a big deal - it's almost 10% of the total sales. Microsoft was associated with PC gaming, most notably their Gaming Zone back in the 90'ies, their Sidewinder controllers and DirectX - they were completely unknown and inexperienced in the console sector. Microsoft was not "a big part" of the Dreamcast - they merely licensed modular Windows CE distros as an alternative for the standard, native SEGA development kit (KATANA) allowing games to run on-top of CE. Most DC games do not in fact run on CE at all. The Dreamcast itself has nothing to do with Microsoft, however it was designed with Windows CE compatibility in mind, which is why it's similar to a PocketPC in terms of hardware (SH CPU, PowerVR GPU). It doesn't actually have Windows on-board - that's why it says "CE Compatible" on the case, and not "CE Embedded". Common misconception. As for the Xbox being the Dreamcast 2, SEGA did approach Microsoft and tried to establish a backwards compatibility deal, but those plans fell through. As far as Microsoft and new IP's are concerned, they've released new ones with every iteration of the Xbox - the original had Fable and Halo, the 360 had Gears and Fable, the One has Quantum Break and used to have Project Spark. I own all four systems from that generation, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: GerbilSoft

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully this means 5.5.1 is the end and we live a nice quiet end of life for Wii U with haxxors enabled and online working for another 1-2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-