Homebrew [Tutorial] How to make BGM.bcstm files for 3DS Themes

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MP3 in general sounds like garbage. Try to compare a 64 kbps MP3 to a 64 kbps Ogg Vorbis.

Anyway, I'm making my theme and the music is at 32000 Hz which is harder to distinguish from a 44100 Hz file and it works fine.

Amazon, Google, iTunes, all do not release ogg vorbis, I'm pretty sure, so please tell me where I can legally get my music in this format for the same price (and an android music player app that'll play it)

Reactions: 2Hack

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Amazon, Google, iTunes, all do not release ogg vorbis, I'm pretty sure, so please tell me where I can legally get my music in this format for the same price (and an android music player app that'll play it)
You can rip your Audio CDs to Ogg Vorbis.
Android supports Ogg Vorbis.
Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis for streaming.
YouTube uses Vorbis codec for Webm videos and you can download the audio in Ogg Vorbis format without reconverting using YouTube Video and Audio Downloader for Firefox.

Reactions: TidusWulf

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about something since I'm just curious...

I had a .bcstm file that was just tiny bit too big (3.25 MB), so I initially converted to .wav using a lower sample rate and then went back. Well, that didn't work as it turned out larger. But, I decided to instead just convert to looping Ogg and then back and it worked just fine. I don't believe anything was actually altered about the sample rate, so why did that work and did it compromise the quality very much?

The difference in sizes of my two conversions if you'd like to know (original size 3.25 MB)
BCSTM->WAV->BCSTM - 6.5 MB file
BCSTM->LOGG->BCSTM - 2.35 MB file

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was the quality lossless and maybe you converted you wav two different times and changed the sample rate by mistake?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just using the brstm 3.4.1 converter with it set not to adjust the sample rate. The .logg file that was ouputted was very, very small (872 kb) but I'm listening on my 3DS and I don't think anything was messed up...
EDIT: Wait, I guess it converted to mono. nope I think I must have had it set to use 32,000 samples/sec after all when I did it. I guess what matters is that it still sounds okay and it is small enough now. Not sure why the .wav turned out like it did, though.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bandcamp allows you to choose ogg (or FLAC, or MP3, or what have you) when you go to download music. Mind you, not every artist is on bandcamp but it's getting better.

Oh, and you don't need a custom theme to enjoy custom system menu music. Use 3ds_homemenu_extdatatool to dump the current theme to the SD card, delete both ThemeManager.bin and BGMCache.bin. Place your custom music there and copy back to extdata. (Basically just keep the BodyCache.bin)

Also, a 10MB .wav is going to output to about 3.02MB after converting to .brstm so you might want to keep that in mind. A 14.6MB .wav is about 4.2MB when converting to .brstm

MP3s also tend to get larger when going to .brstm. A 3.7MB MP3 jumped up to 6.8MB.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The size of an ADPCM audio file is unpredictable.
Fair enough. Those are just what I've seen over a few hours of messing with this. What I posted was the average result of converting about 86 files of varying quality and source formats to 16bit PCM .wav @ 32000Hz and feeding it through a brstm converter.

Reactions: nastys

Cube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, is it possible to use a mp3 with CHMM or do I have to use exdata_tool?

And if I have to use exdata_tool, is it possible to use a custom theme with CHMM and a mp3 with exdata_tool?

Thanks!

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can remove the link now. You can't link to retail themes from nintendo here. I just wanted the theme you were using to make 100% sure it was set to use bgm but seeing as it's the LBW theme it already is.

I'll take a look at the wav in a moment.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry it took so long, got distracted. The reason it wasn't working is because it was ever so slightly too big.

Here's a working, looping version of the song: -Removed because wrong version given-
Let me know if it sounds off or whatever. I didn't try and make it seamlessly loop so if it didn't already then it won't now. But it does loop so it won't just go silent when it's done playing.

rockthetemp123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Omg I sent you the wrong file :(

Now uploading the correct file, what you did was fine I just send the wrong file Im so sorry -.-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/7bH4YgV.mp4