Homebrew [Tutorial] How to Install OoT3DHax

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good- now I can run my homebrew unteathered- thanks for the handy tutorial op, props to you.

So will this only boot the homebrew app located inside the installer file? If so is it possible to have several applications in there so I can choose what to run?

It's basically an alternative to IronHax/TubeHax, it works the exact same way.
It boots up the same homebrew launcher that all the other ones do- where you can run any app you want on your SD Card.

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good- now I can run my homebrew unteathered- thanks for the handy tutorial op, props to you.

It's basically an alternative to IronHax/TubeHax, it works the exact same way.
It boots up the same homebrew launcher that all the other ones do- where you can run any app you want on your SD Card.
It doesn't boot to the launcher for me, I placed a .3dsx file in the directory and when it went to boot it froze with a bottom red screen halfway through loading.

EDIT: I've come to the conclusion that it's not OOTHax causing the issue as I can't even boot through tubehax.

EDIT OF EDIT: Got the thing to work, I accidentally deleted the boot.3dsx needed for home-brew like a noob :P.

Last edited by Baccabechoppin,

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't boot to the launcher for me, I placed a .3dsx file in the directory and when it went to boot it froze with a bottom red screen halfway through loading.

EDIT: I've come to the conclusion that it's not OOTHax causing the issue as I can't even boot through tubehax.
You need to place the Homebrew launcher onto your SD Card under the filename boot.3dsx

meladroit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should reiterate: the payload is seven save files' worth. (Eight, if you include the actual trigger save.) You're not going to be able to reliably throw another save on there with oot3dhax. I've actually succeeded having one more save file on the same cartridge (after wiping save data entirely, installing oot3dhax, and then installing a bogus oot3dhax slot ... ?), but it's definitely not going to reliably let you have another save, and you're definitely not going to be playing with two real saves + oot3dhax.

Refer to GitHub readme for possible workaround that could be implemented in future, which was also quoted earlier in this thread. I won't be the one to implement it, since I'm bad at programming new things and I'm bad at continuing to work on old things. Bad combination.

It'll work just fine. The save is compatible with the eshop digital version. Tried myself on 9.9 ;)

Tried on 9.0 / 9.2, stuck on debug screen with red bottom screen.

Good to know. <9.9 seems to be flakier, but it seems to be a boot.3dsx problem, which is out of my hands ... For what it's worth, this person was getting stuck at the am:sys debug output:

Edit2: Apparently, there's a difference between the boot.3dsx from the homebrew launcher page and via smea's twitter as I know I got my o3ds boot.3dsx from his twitter and when I booted up OoThax, it worked and I'm staring at the nice homebrew launcher on my n3ds.

So maybe that matters? I guess this might be a slightly different problem, though.

9.2 error to save.bin

Backup your saves and wipe your save data first (hold ABXY as you start the game), and if it still doesn't work, I'm stumped.

So which is faster? Ironhax, OOThax, Ninjhax2, or Tubehax?

To startup?
EDIT: Timing from when the screen blackens after the Nintendo 3DS logo to when the Homebrew Launcher appears (and you button mash):
Ocarina of Time 3D: 19.5 seconds
Ironfall Invasion: 22.4 seconds
YouTube (all attempts): 46.0 seconds
YouTube (successful attempt): 16.6 seconds
So OoT might be slightly faster (19.01 seconds for me on N3DS 9.9), but Ironfall is only slower by a few seconds, and ninjhax is roughly on par (22.79 seconds is what I get there for O3DS 9.9), I think. YouTube is almost certainly the fastest and most effortless (button-mash free startup!) ... when it works. Otherwise, I think most of the time difference is due to the developer logos.

Last edited by meladroit,

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! So, after having a bit of trouble with getting this to work, I decided that I'd make a tutorial on how to use this for general convenience.

PLEASE NOTE: This only seems works with the 9.9 FW (all regions). I haven't seen much of any one else test this on other firmwares, so if you could, that'd be super cool. Oh, and also, I didn't create this exploit. I'm merely teaching you how to install it.

1.) Download the 'oot3dhax_installer'
2.) Drag the '3ds' folder directly to the root of your SD card to go alongside your other homebrew.
3.) Download any homebrew in a .3DSX format and place it in the installer's app folder. (it's called 'ootsdhax_installer') The file can be named anything (besides 'boot'), but for convenience, I just named it 'payload.3dsx'.
4.) Follow the steps to get TubeHax/IronHax working and back up your OoT3D saves. (You can use this.)
5.) Go ahead and launch OoT3D, and as the game is booting, hold A, B, X, and Y. This will ask you if you want to wipe the save files. Go through with it, and wipe all save data. (Remember, this can be restored later if you want.)
6.) Exit out of OoT3D, and load TubeHax/IronHax again. This time, run the OoT3DHax installer and follow all of the instructions.
7.) If all goes well, the payload should successfully install.
8.) Boot up OoT3D again. There should now be a savefile named 'idleaway**********...' which extends past the screen. Go ahead and start that one.
9.) Click any of the menu buttons, interact with anything, play the ocarina... basically do any action to trigger something.
10.) Your .3DSX should now load!

Happy homebrewing! :D
Do to @smealum 's laziness he is getting #Reckt! First there is a third party Save data manager now there is this! RIP Smea.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So the fastest(untethered) one would be OOT then? Thanks :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do to @smealum 's laziness he is getting #Reckt! First there is a third party Save data manager now there is this! RIP Smea.
I prefer to think we're picking up his torch

Reactions: AtlasFontaine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi: