ROM Hack Oldies PS1/2 trying to replace audio on ps1 game, i'm totally lost. :(

k_huntington

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fair warning: i have no idea what i'm doing and i'm mainly trying to just brute force this with clicking and dragging and dropping assets at random and hoping for the best
;D
;D

so i'm attempting to swap out the music for a ps1 game, i've already done all the audio editing and such, the game ended up using a single .xa container for all the music. i was able to use XA Audio Converter to rip the xa's to 8 wav files, edit, then re-package the wav's back to xa. i ran the new xa files through jpsxdec and extracted wavs, and all 22 new tracks matched exactly to the table of contents. the old .xa file and the new .xa file are the *exact* same file size. so compatibility should be exact.

original xa file:
size: 138 MB (144,770,348 bytes)
size on disc: 138 MB (144,773,120 bytes)

edited xa file:

so the audio side, everything is perfect. now to get this jammed into an iso and boot on a console....

now here's my issue.... i assumed i would just be able to put my ps1 retail disc in my pc, drag and drop the folders from the disc to my pc, swap out the xa files, then drag and drop the folders into img burn, burn the disc, and put it in my ps1.

didn't work. at all. i don't anything whatsoever about coding. i work with audio/video :) so i need some help.

so i discovered a couple of programs one being psx mode 2, and another being psximager.

-with psx mode 2 i'm using console compromise to give it a GUI because i don't understand command line. i was able to inject the new .xa to the iso, and burn the disc and launch it in my console, but there was no music, when i go back to the disc image and run the .xa through audio converter, the audio is just static. so apparantly the app did someting wrong?? does anyone have experience with this to give me a workflow?

-and with psx imager, i have no idea what to do with that, because i can't find a .exe to launch, and even if i did, i don't know what command's to type or how it even works. if someone wants to hold my hand and walk me through it that would be great, but i need a .exe to launch on windows, and i can't find an already packaged version of the program.

so can someone lend me some knowledge on what the proper way to swap .xa files out and burn the disc? any help will be appreciated, because i think i've exhausted all of my 'mr magoo stumbling into things that so far have been working' against all conventional wisdom
:laugh:

thanks!
Post automatically merged:

looked into mkpsxiso as well, that also is not an exe file, but a bunch of greek alphabet soup on github. why arent these tools in executable forms?? :( i'm just so close to the end. i just need to figure out how to pack and burn. the hard part should be over with. i would have assumed this should be the easy part: creating a bin/cue.

Last edited by k_huntington,

k_huntington

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do release the executables.

It's mentioned in the README file if you scroll down a bit: https://github.com/Lameguy64/mkpsxiso#binary-download
Or look to the right in the GitHub repository, click the "Releases" text and download the corresponding file to your OS.

https://github.com/Lameguy64/mkpsxiso/releases
yeah, i saw those executables. but they don't do anything. so i'm assuming they are containers for a programming language thingy that i don't have installed on my pc??? cause when i double click, a window shows up on my taskbar for about a split second, then disappears, as if it's trying to search for whats needed to launch, can't find it, then closes. i've been going in circles for days trying to get something to work. i don't understand what the problem is or why nothing will launch.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i saw those executables. but they don't do anything. so i'm assuming they are containers for a programming language thingy that i don't have installed on my pc??? cause when i double click, a window shows up on my taskbar for about a split second, then disappears, as if it's trying to search for whats needed to launch, can't find it, then closes. i've been going in circles for days trying to get something to work. i don't understand what the problem is or why nothing will launch.
It's a command line program.

Open command prompt / cmd in the same folder then type in the executable's name.

Code:
mkpsxiso.exe --help

k_huntington

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a command line program.

Open command prompt / cmd in the same folder then type in the executable's name.

Code:
mkpsxiso.exe --help
it worked! :grog: why wouldnt the exe just automatically open a command line module if thats what it requires? thats peculiar to me. and from what i can see... the readme didnt explicitly have a "how to launch" section saying "1. start command line. 2. type in these commands. 3. profit"

at any rate it's running, now i can at least dive in a little deeper. thanks :)

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it worked! :grog: why wouldnt the exe just automatically open a command line module if thats what it requires? thats peculiar to me. and from what i can see... the readme didnt explicitly have a "how to launch" section saying "1. start command line. 2. type in these commands. 3. profit"

at any rate it's running, now i can at least dive in a little deeper. thanks :)
The problem is not the exe. The OS is designed that way since the console environment was relegated to second class citizen.
To see the output you just have to do like master801 instructed.
I think the last time those windows lingered was in Windows Me.
Also, the instructions don't state all the usage steps as it is supposed to be used like that.
Welcome to the early 2000s programs. 😁

k_huntington

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp, i guess i'm just dead in the water. i tried using psxinject, and i get this error.

i:\tools\psximager>psxinject SLUS_00293.cue CDXA/LETHAL1.XA LETHAL1.XA
'CDXA/LETHAL1.XA' is a form 2 file but the size of "LETHAL1.XA" is not a multiple of 2336 bytes

which i guess that would explain why when i used psx mode-2, the xa file ended up being garbled and the game played silent. so i'm guessing there is no way to convert a file to form 2 for injection? lol

but the files are still the same size, it's just interpretting it differently i guess??
original xa file on retail disc:

edited xa file:

Last edited by k_huntington,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum