PS1/2 PAL PS2 with modchip forcing NTSC PS1 games to PAL

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi! I have an old SCPH-50004 (silver fat PAL) PS2 that currently has an unknown modchip. It was supposed to be a Crystal chip, according to the modder who installed it back in 2005, but its configuration/update discs won't boot, and its behavior matches what I've seen in the Messiah 2 documentation, so we should go from that.
The console launches imported PS1 games forced to PAL (48 black lines at the bottom, squished image, slowed down to 25/50 FPS). Is there any way to fix this? I've tried a boot disc that's supposed to be able to force PS1 video modes, but the aforementioned behavior still occurs even if I select NTSC.
This does not happen with imported PS2 games, so I believe the Messiah 2's optional hardware video fix wire is not soldered (it should not, my TV supports 60 Hz and I'm using an RGB cable).
Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if you've seen a previous thread from a couple of months ago that also mentioned this issue (but whose topic was something else entirely).

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Update for anyone interested: the only way I got this to work was by installing FreeMCBoot and having PS1VModeNeg assigned to a hotkey, so that I can boot with the disc inside by holding Power for a couple of seconds to switch the chip to PS1/DVD-Video mode and still manage to use PS2 homebrew.

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi! I have a Fat PAL PS2 (SCPH-50004). I've been using FreeMCBoot on an original 8 MB memory card with an MX4SIO to load games in OPL.

It also has an unknown modchip, installed by a store about 19 years ago. From its behavior, I assume it's a Messiah 2 or one of its clones. By itself, it runs disc-based PS2 games just fine and PS1 games mostly fine (I have to boot with a long press of the Power button and the disc already inside for it to run at all, and I need FMCB with PS1VModeNeg set to a hotkey for NTSC games to run at the right framerate). This meant I have a permanent, relatively easy entry point for homebrew if all else fails (burning a CD).

As the title implies, I'm looking for options to add an HDD into the mix. I have two spare internal HDDs lying around (60 and 128 GB, both 2.5" SATA, both originally inside PS3 consoles). What do I need to use one of these with my PS2? I know there are several options, so I'm looking for inputs on what might be best (overall, or for my use case).

Also, my PS2 is quite far (physically) from any feasible network loading options. I can't exactly run a cable to it. So, copying games to the HDD over the network or outright streaming them from my PC is not an option. Furthermore, not having to remove the HDD would be ideal. Assuming there's a decent adapter for 2.5" SATA drives, can I, say, copy games from the μSD card inside the MX4SIO to the HDD? I assume there must be some homebrew software that allows me to do this, no?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if you've seen the same post on Reddit or one of my older, related, posts.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I have an old SCPH-50004 (silver fat PAL) PS2 that currently has an unknown modchip. It was supposed to be a Crystal chip, according to the modder who installed it back in 2005, but its configuration/update discs won't boot, and its behavior matches what I've seen in the Messiah 2 documentation, so we should go from that.
The console launches imported PS1 games forced to PAL (48 black lines at the bottom, squished image, slowed down to 25/50 FPS). Is there any way to fix this? I've tried a boot disc that's supposed to be able to force PS1 video modes, but the aforementioned behavior still occurs even if I select NTSC.
This does not happen with imported PS2 games, so I believe the Messiah 2's optional hardware video fix wire is not soldered (it should not, my TV supports 60 Hz and I'm using an RGB cable).
Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if you've seen a previous thread from a couple of months ago that also mentioned this issue (but whose topic was something else entirely).
I would swap out this chip with something more modern like a Modbo. If the person who sold it doesn't know, it could be any dodgy chip like the old Messiah.

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I would swap out this chip with something more modern like a Modbo. If the person who sold it doesn't know, it could be any dodgy chip like the old Messiah.
Oh, I'm not touching it. It's been running just fine for 19 years, so I can live with having to press Triangle on boot to play specifically NTSC PS1 games. Getting those to work was hard and required a bit of creativity, but now it's absolutely fine. Everything else works pretty well. I've been getting into softmods now to avoid having to burn as many DVDs for PS2 games I have yet to play (I just posted a new thread regarding that)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed