PS1/2 Best PS1 softmod method without a PS2?

WaffleGM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was unexpectedly gifted a PS1 and know pretty much nothing about Sony consoles other than their games. I’m a purist who doesn’t like modifying the hardware, but like other disc consoles I own, I want the option to play burned copies of games that are more expensive.

I stumbled upon the FreePsxBoot method, but found it required PS2 in order to transfer the data to a memory card. I then found a Reddit post claiming that you can use the swap disc trick to load directly into a burned unirom disc. I am leaning towards this option, but wanted to make sure this was the best route for me to take.

By doing this, would I be able to install unirom to a memory card via the disc, allowing me to load it on startup? I’m essentially looking for a way to load burned discs akin to the Saturn/Dreamcast/Xbox, all of which have ways to do so without hardware modification.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I was unexpectedly gifted a PS1 and know pretty much nothing about Sony consoles other than their games. I’m a purist who doesn’t like modifying the hardware, but like other disc consoles I own, I want the option to play burned copies of games that are more expensive.

I stumbled upon the FreePsxBoot method, but found it required PS2 in order to transfer the data to a memory card. I then found a Reddit post claiming that you can use the swap disc trick to load directly into a burned unirom disc. I am leaning towards this option, but wanted to make sure this was the best route for me to take.

By doing this, would I be able to install unirom to a memory card via the disc, allowing me to load it on startup? I’m essentially looking for a way to load burned discs akin to the Saturn/Dreamcast/Xbox, all of which have ways to do so without hardware modification.
you should take a look at tonyhax https://orca.pet/tonyhax/

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a memory card from eBay with an exploit on it. It only works with my PS1 model version. I keep it in slot 2; some games require slot 1 to save. It boots my burnt CD-Rs after a few seconds.

Please don't do the swap disc trick. I don't think it's good for the health of the disc drive.

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is perfect! I don’t know how I didn’t see this. But what options would I have to actually get the save file onto the memory card?
Got a real parallel port (on a PC I mean)? You almost have a memory card programmer
Got an Arduino? You almost have a memory card programmer
Got the, now fuckin' expensive, memory card adapter officially sold for the PS3? You have a memory card programmer
and there are more :D

as for using an actual PS1 to do that...
I'm not sure if there are 3rd party save manager programs that allow you to copy from CD to card (though definitely possible to make one), but there's homebrew that allows you to use the serial port to exchange stuff with a PC

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as for using an actual PS1 to do that...
I'm not sure if there are 3rd party save manager programs that allow you to copy from CD to card (though definitely possible to make one), but there's homebrew that allows you to use the serial port to exchange stuff with a PC
UniROM can flash FreePSXBoot. Don't know about how to load simple save files from CD-R to Memory Card.
Even if there is such a software we have a chicken-egg-problem. How to boot unofficial software for preparing stuff for loading unofficial software?

I then found a Reddit post claiming that you can use the swap disc trick to load directly into a burned unirom disc. I am leaning towards this option, but wanted to make sure this was the best route for me to take.
Please don't. The multi hot-swap trick is raping the drive.
Block lid closed sensor, insert legit garbage game.
  • Wait for first SCEx authentication → Grab spinning disc, replace it with burned CD.
  • Wait for TOC being read → Grab spinning disc, replace it with legit garbage game.
  • Wait for second SCEx authentication → Grab spinning disc, replace it with burned CD.
If done correctly (timing!) this will boot into the CD-R with UniROM. Needs practice for timing (plenty of videos) observing the speed change from 1x to 2x and vice versa. Almost certainly you will need multiple attempts greatly increasing the stress for the drive (and your hands).
Yes, I've done it myself for the sake of trying and hence I know the method sucks.

Exception: Very early models of the SCPH-100x series with the CD player swap trick. That one is fine.

Else: Swap discs with additional stuff
  • Pressed PS-X-Change disc (all PS1 models)
  • Cheat device stopping the disc after authentication (official or unofficial function on some cheat devices for the parallel port on PS1 → obviously only for models older than SCPH-900x which doesn't have that port)

Self-booting CD-R as entry point might or might not become a thing in the future. Proof of concept exists now.
=========

A good stealth modchip is the most convenient thing to have though.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't. The multi hot-swap trick is raping the drive.
Please don't. You'll get the Sony PoliceStation involved.

UniROM can flash FreePSXBoot. Don't know about how to load simple save files from CD-R to Memory Card.
Even if there is such a software we have a chicken-egg-problem. How to boot unofficial software for preparing stuff for loading unofficial software?
UniROM can install to a cheat cartridge such as an Xploder using the boot CD, it also includes flashing FreePSXBoot onto a memory card. https://github.com/JonathanDotCel/unirom8_bootdisc_and_firmware_for_ps1/releases/

Pressed PS-X-Change disc (all PS1 models)
A swap disc such as a PS-X-Changer disc is much safer to use, as it stops the motor once it boots, hence you don't run the risk of damaging the laser. They are becoming really hard to find and even expensive. The better option would be to install a modchip, only requiring 6-7 wires depending on the chip you are installing.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite 3 methods to get tonyhax on a PS1 memory card are

1) Unirom on a cheat cart via a burnable boot disc (Need PS1 with expansion port on back)
2) Official Sony PS3 Memory Card USB Adapter paired with the free MemcardRex software
3) Use an infinitely expandable (via MicroSD card) 8bitmods.com MemCard PRO PS1- best $26 you'll spend on a PS1 accessory IMHO.

If you have none of the hardware listed above, the best option is also likely the cheapest with the rising costs of retro consoles and original accessories. A MemCard PRO uses MicroSD as the storage medium to both give you infinite save space as well as making file transfer between PS1 and PC as easy as putting the MicroSD card into your PC.

Ripto

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.psx-place.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat