ROM Hack Transporting .sav file to 3DS Virtual Console Pokemon

Gokufan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was also wondering about one thing. Do you think it would be possible in future to make these Pokemon games react, to a wireless trading via, for example Smartphone emulators?

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think anybody could be able to do this eve without CFW. I mean svdt can copy the saves even with the secure value

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Guess they didn't patch this lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 702

Mrperson0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean they patched the trade system they could have done the print thing to make it null as well or even make it save to sd card

Actually, they patched the Print feature when you are viewing the Pokedex. For some reason, they just forgot to patch it in the Surfing Dude's house.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you have access to the Homebrew Launcher? If so you should be good.

Can anyone confirm if the Homebrew method can be used to import the save files? I thought these games had the 9.6 save file encryption, thus, forcing you to use custom firmware to extract saves.

supermariorick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can extract the decrypted sav.dat, then you can rename the file extension to .sav, open it in any Gen 1 save editor modify it and save the changes, rename it back to sav.dat and import the hacked save back in to the vc game. currently have a crazy Gengar with a ridiculous illegal moveset and impossible stats.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hey guys. I was wondering, do You think it would be possible to move an old .sav of Pokemon Red to 3DS Virtual Console? I still have my saved game file from ~15 years ago, when I was a little kid, with my first Pokemon. I always wanted to move them to newer games, and I heard that it would be possible with Pokemon Sun/Moon :).

While I don't know how to export from a real Pokemon RBY cart, but for emulator saves, rename it to sav.dat,
But provided the size is right, it can work with savedatafiler.

I've transferred by save to and fro emulator and vc console, as well as across patched and non patched vc versions.

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I managed to import the 16 year old save from my original Red and Yellow cartridges on to the 3DS, i've created a detailed guide with pictures / screenshots for anyone who's struggling: Pokemon GameBoy / Rom Save Transfer To 3DS

I think it's pretty awesome it will finally be possible to transfer Pokemon from GEN1 to the current gen, fingers crossed for a Gold / Silver & Crystal virtual console release at some point too!

I'm also quite impressed the batteries in my Red and Yellow carts are still working after 16 years too!

bhh92t.jpg
Thanks for the guide, I was able to follow the instructions and get my pokemans over with SaveDataFiler :)

Unlike you, all my cartridges are very dead, however I thankfully had their .sav files extracted already

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
problem is stvd red screens when i try to open the game

eh theres a problem homebrew svae mangers don't smeed to work with it they need to update sdtvs to fix that

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Thanks for the guide, I was able to follow the instructions and get my pokemans over with SaveDataFiler :)

Unlike you, all my cartridges are very dead, however I thankfully had their .sav files extracted already

Glad you got them all transferred across :)

I extracted the saves from my cartridges many years ago too, even back then I thought I got lucky the batteries still worked. Very surprised they still work today.

Bring on importing them in to Moon and Sun!

Gokufan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry for another amateur question - but could R4i Dual Core flashcart run homebrew? Could I use one of those save managers with this cart? I'm asking cause it's pretty cheap :)
Also, would it leave any trace on my console? For example, could I be banned in future by Nintendo?

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you share the link for the program that convert Retron5 saves to original format?
I'll see if I can find the link. It was on a forum somewhere. A Hyperkin employee actually revealed that the Retron saves are containers with the RAM and battery saves in one file. If I can't dig up the link, I'll upload the program here if that's allowed. I'd like to find the original link so the creator can get credit.

Found it. Enjoy!

https://www.retro5.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=257

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'll definitely have to look into backing up my SAV from my cartridges. I don't have any hardware to do it though, sadly. If I had a GBA homebrew that could dump via link cable to a GBA flashcard, I'd be game for that.

jm_plata

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll see if I can find the link. It was on a forum somewhere. A Hyperkin employee actually revealed that the Retron saves are containers with the RAM and battery saves in one file. If I can't dig up the link, I'll upload the program here if that's allowed. I'd like to find the original link so the creator can get credit.

Found it. Enjoy!

https://www.retro5.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=257
Thanks ;)

Mechageo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is possible, I have personally transferred a save from a retail cartridge into these new VC releases (via mega memory card and ems flash cart)
Saves from emulators work also and are easier since they are the same just need renamed.

When I imported I didn't worry about secure values since I just exported the save and replaced the sav.dat then reimported which left the secure values matching.
I have a Retro 5 and a New 3DS on the latest firmware. Will the EMS flash cart you mentioned work in this environment?

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Retro 5 and a New 3DS on the latest firmware. Will the EMS flash cart you mentioned work in this environment?

I had no idea what a Retro 5 was until I googled it and the EMS would probably work but not the Mega Memory Card to get the save from carts and put it on the EMS so I doubt your setup would work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!