Transfer retroarch rom save (.srm that emulator uses or .sav file that rom uses) to virtual console

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have spent over a week trying to find out how to transfer my retroarch Pokémon red save to my virtual console. However I encountered a few problems I can’t fix:

.1 When I backup the saves files for the virtual console so that they can be replaced, it comes up with two more battery files (rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat) instead of just sav.dat.

.2 I used this website - inject.sigkill.tech/converter/3dsvc to convert my .sav (in retroarch\cores\savefiles) to a .dat. But instead I get a corruption error every motherfucking time.

.3 when I try to load the game on vba m with the .sav from (retroarch\cores\savefiles) instead so that I can export the battery file (.dat). I don’t get the continue button and instead it just says new game and options.

My questions?

1. Is there a way to dump save files in retroarch?

2. Am I getting rsm1.sav and rsm2.sav because I am using a virtual console inject because whenever I use the virtual console from h shop I have no problems? *I am choosing to use the virtual console inject because it fits on the whole screen.

In summary - I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing and probably left out half the shit I had to explain. So please tell me if I let any information out.

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can have a look at this reddit post, someone there got it to work. There are links to some tutorials you can look at, or even ask the guy that got it to work for help :)

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Checkpoint reads out two save files because one is the hard save you made at some point, and the other one is the exit save when you close the game. You will want to replace both with the same save from your emulator just to be safe. The way I did it with my own real cartridges / emulator saves is to basically just take the save file from the emulator / cart, make a copy of it, rename both to the two saves in a checkpoint folder, then on the 3DS load the checkpoint with the changed saves. If everything was done correctly the game should now boot to the regular save you wanted to insert.

I don't recall having to convert the saves from mGBA or a real cartridge to work with the virtual console games, but I might be misremembering that. I'm also not sure what format RetroArch uses but I'd be shocked if it isn't just a standard SRAM dump like everything else uses for regular GB games.

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are you using Checkpoint to back up the save data, or what?
I used checkpoint and jksm but they both gave rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat. I tried to use savedatafiler but it doesn’t work on emulators. And when I tried svdt I realised that it was outdated because svdt.xml no longer boots up.
Post automatically merged:

Checkpoint reads out two save files because one is the hard save you made at some point, and the other one is the exit save when you close the game. You will want to replace both with the same save from your emulator just to be safe. The way I did it with my own real cartridges / emulator saves is to basically just take the save file from the emulator / cart, make a copy of it, rename both to the two saves in a checkpoint folder, then on the 3DS load the checkpoint with the changed saves. If everything was done correctly the game should now boot to the regular save you wanted to insert.

I don't recall having to convert the saves from mGBA or a real cartridge to work with the virtual console games, but I might be misremembering that. I'm also not sure what format RetroArch uses but I'd be shocked if it isn't just a standard SRAM dump like everything else uses for regular GB games.
there is only a save file for .srm and .sav on my emulator

You can have a look at this reddit post, someone there got it to work. There are links to some tutorials you can look at, or even ask the guy that got it to work for help :)

It looks promising I will try it sooner today and see if it outputs just sav.dat. 🙏

The emulator uses .sram files and the games save files (.sav’s) are stored in the Roms folder and in the cores save files folder

Nah I don’t think this will work because because the rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat get in the way.

Last edited by 3dsBiggestFan,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The emulator uses .sram files and the games save files (.sav’s) are stored in the Roms folder and in the cores save files folder

Nah I don’t think this will work because because the rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat get in the way.
Rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat are just regular binary save files identical to the .sav and .sram files. Take the save from RetroArch and make an copy of it, rename the two files to rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat, then place them in a checkpoint folder, and restore that specific checkpoint.
The names and file endings don't really matter in this case because the contents of the files are the same, they just name it different things.

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat are just regular binary save files identical to the .sav and .sram files. Take the save from RetroArch and make an copy of it, rename the two files to rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat, then place them in a checkpoint folder, and restore that specific checkpoint.
The names and file endings don't really matter in this case because the contents of the files are the same, they just name it different things.
Is rsm1.sav the same contents as the *.srm or *.sav

And can I use a hex editor to check

There was a person who used pkhex projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/39181-how-to-edit-gen2-saves/

Also I am not sure how to use a hex editor

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

And can I use a hex editor to check

There was a person who used pkhex projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/39181-how-to-edit-gen2-saves/

Also I am not sure how to use a hex editor
Just open them all up and check the first few lines, they should be pretty identical. Otherwise just try both and see what happens. You don't care about the VC saves so it doesn't matter if the first thing you try isn't working, in that case just try the other one. One of the two options will work.

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just open them all up and check the first few lines, they should be pretty identical. Otherwise just try both and see what happens. You don't care about the VC saves so it doesn't matter if the first thing you try isn't working, in that case just try the other one. One of the two options will work.
Can you explain ur method again cuz I don’t understand how my vc injection comes out with rsm1.dat, ram2.dat and sav.dat. Whereas my h shop Pokémon yellow shows secure value and sav.dat (when using checkpoint)

The only value my sav.dat has is 00 and my rsm1.dat has only 2 lines of hex values, rest being 00. rsm2.dat has different hex values throughout every row. What does this mean?

I forgot to mention that retroarch has a third save file Gamename.rtc.

All the files are different

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sure. Using the official VC Pokemon Red from the eShop as an example.

1. Make a save file on the Virtual Console game, back it up with Checkpoint, transfer the back up to your PC
1.5. Double check the correct files are present, namely the two files "sav.dat" and "SecureValue"

2. Make a save in RetroArch and locate the save, in my case it's called "Pokemon - Red Version (USA, Europe) (SGB Enhanced).srm"

3. Rename "Pokemon - Red Version (USA, Europe) (SGB Enhanced).srm" to "sav.dat"

4. Replace the sav.dat in the backup with the freshly renamed RetroArch save

5. Move the backed up folder from your PC back to your 3DS, and restore the backup with Checkpoint

6. Start Pokemon Red on 3DS, the RetroArch save should now be loaded and ready to go

And you're done. I've done this entire thing just now with a new save made in RetroArch and a fresh installation of Pokemon Red on my 3DS. And the save got successfully transfered and loaded.

You don't need convert anything or do any dark magic for basic GB(C) games. If you have something with RTC support, say Pokemon Crystal or romhacks then that might need more considerations. But not for Pokemon Red and effectively any other basic GB or GBC games. I've done this exact thing with all 3 Zelda titles (Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Seasons & Ages), Pokemon TCG, Wario Land 2, Super Mario Land 2, Pokemon Yellow, and probably a bunch of others I can't remember.

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why is my backed up save folder for the custom vci missing a ser=cure data folder and why does it have rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat. My other vci (pokemon yellow) had no problems as it only had sav.dat and secure value.

I looked in an online hex editor (as I couldn't find out how to use pkhex) and my sav.dat (the one that was next to rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat) was full of the value 00.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know why you wouldn't have those files. Try backing it up again and see what happens?
Though maybe you downloaded a Virtual Console version that someone else injected and it's not the official one, in which case you might want to try and download the official eShop version and repeat it there.

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I send you the hex values or files are you tech savy enough to find the problem?

I don't know why you wouldn't have those files. Try backing it up again and see what happens?
Though maybe you downloaded a Virtual Console version that someone else injected and it's not the official one, in which case you might want to try and download the official eShop version and repeat it there.
I tried jksm and checkpoint three times each and got the same result

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I might try to do injection instead with gm9. But in the meanwhile does anybody know why i am getting rsm1.dat rsm2.dat and no secureValue file when I back up my vci with checkpoint or jksm?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Many thousands of people have done this by now and it really shouldn't be necessary to do anything out of the ordinary like using gm9.

But in the meanwhile does anybody know why i am getting rsm1.dat rsm2.dat and no secureValue file when I back up my vci with checkpoint or jksm?
Only the official eShop installs of the game should do anything with secure values. Are you using a VC inject that was made some other way?

3dsBiggestFan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah I am using a custom virtual console inject using gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gb-vc-injector-for-3ds.437118/

I used a .gb version of the game and injected it into my console

It looks nicer cause It stretches on the whole screen

Do you think I am getting a rsm1.dat and rsm2.dat because I am using a faulty pirated rom. The pirated rom I used for Pokémon yellow worked fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto