Hardware This is why you don't buy laptops for gaming.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,468
  • Replies 113
  • Likes 4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Back to the subject at hand, whenever I buy a laptop, which is rare as I normally grind them into dust before upgrading, I always start by nuking them. A complete format and start from scratch with a brand-new OS installation is the key to performance - companies like HP cram bloatware galore into their computers to "optimise" them, ensuring that everyone has an equally poor experience. Once I have a fresh installation, I download the latest drivers instead of using the ones supplied by the OEM - original drivers tend to work much better. Once I have a stock setup, I create a restore point and start playing with Services, Group Policy and deeper settings to ensure maximum performance. That being said, if there's a chance you could return the laptop, you might want to stick to what's on there for now and just re-install Catalyst.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't envision a future of ubiquitous Linux or Mac support in a world where some 90% of household PC's run Windows. It's not exactly like the mobile space where iOS and Android actually do fight for dominance - in the PC scene Windows is king, it has been for decades now. SteamOS was supposed to shake things up, but I'm just not seeing it - it's just Ubuntu with Steam Big Picture on-top. Then again, each to their own - I just prefer to run software on the OS it was designed to run on rather than relying on WINE and crossing my fingers. Vulkan is exciting though, I'll give you that - OpenGL is way too bloated at this point.
Microsoft has the whole positive-feedback thing going for them for sure. Developers target Windows because Windows dominates the market. Windows dominates the market because developers target Windows. If they are to be dethroned, it has to start somewhere. The easier it is for developers to port their games to other OSes, the more software we'll see on them. With the software comes users. Microsoft might not be dethroned in the next couple decades, but all I need is enough of a market share to entice developers to bring their software to Linux.

Personally, I can't stand Windows and am willing to just be without the games that don't come to Linux. I have no delusions of that being the norm, though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

An API won't sway developers to add a new platform for support.
If the developers are already using Vulkan, that's one less step between them and having a viable Linux support. The less work it is, the more likely they are to go to the trouble/expense.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
A week ago I got a new laptop. It costed roughly $2000AUD. It looked cool at the store, AMD A12 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 4k graphics card (whatever that means, it outputs 1080p).

I played a copy of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun which I purchased from GOG. With the graphics set to "low" the game runs at about 25 fps. Not ideal, but good enough for me. The game is fun.

I was thinking of buying Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy off Steam. But I thought that before buying it I should first see how it runs using a copy obtained from a certain Swedish torrent site. I was like wow, the graphics are amazing. It's a shame the game runs at 10fps. I really, really wanted to play this game. Sooner or later I'll get a PS4/XBONE but for the time being I have to skip it.

If you want to play PC games buy a desktop, not a laptop.
Make sure that the laptop is plugged into its charger or battery saving is turned off. A lot of times they underclock the gpu when on battery to save power.

Also make sure that you tell the game to use its GPU and not the integrated graphics. Windows is supposed to choose what uses what automatically in these instances but is notoriously bad. If you're getting low FPS you're most likely on intergrated

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gaming PC.I've seen some cool desktops in my time but are laptops just not possible to build to game with or something?
I'm yet to see a company that offers DIY kits for building laptops. Now, there are laptops with interchangeable parts, but a built-to-order laptop would be orders of magnitude more expensive than the OP has paid, and it's pretty clear that he didn't want a desktop. Gaming on a laptop is perfectly acceptable these days with modern low tdp GPU's, I don't see what the big fuss is unless you want an ultra HD rig.

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And don't buy a machine that's Dell or Compaq and uses AMD GPUs.

I am seriously impressed with my $999 dell 7567 gaming laptop (i5 gtx 1050ti 4gb). As far as 1080p gaming goes (the native panel resoloution) it works phenomenal! Handles GTAV on high, Doom on max settings, Just played through Rise of the Tombraider on it flawlessly (not max but respectable settings) I'm a guy who never thought I'd own a dell. I have done a few things like switch out the TN display panel for IPS, and add a 2tb secondary drive. As far as laptops in that price range, It was definitely the best option out of possible choices from competitors in the price range. Superb audio w/ built in subwoofer, superior battery life, and build quality is pretty decent ( I love the single screw access panel for upgrades). It also has an excellent cooling system, and doesn't throttle at all! It does have barebones options as far as IO goes, 3 usb 3.0 ports, Sd reader, lan , and hdmi. (no thunderbolt).

Last edited by Jarmenti,

lostboysteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when AMD was the absolute when it came to games. I have an HP laptop at work with an AMD and it barely streams netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo